All Voom receiver have RF built in.

bobbyd

Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I have my receiver in another area of the house so operation has not been easy, until I found out that the Voom receiver already has the RF receiver built in with just an IR remote.
I have found a product by a company called Next Generation Home Products, that by replacing one of the batteries in the remote I can make the remote RF and it works great. I wanted to see if anyone else has done this. If you haven't I would recommend it to everyone. It works great

I tried my Starchoice 301 remote on Voom. This is an IR remote. All functions on the 301 remote work with Voom.

I sold my C-Band DSR920 so I am unable to try it out. This is a UHF remote. If someone with a 920/922 remote would you give it a try. You can make a homemade antenna by using a length of RG6 stripped to the copper. Just install a connector at the STB end.

There are several places to buy these online.

http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/C-Band.html

cpdretired said:
I tried my Starchoice 301 remote on Voom. This is an IR remote. All functions on the 301 remote work with Voom.

I sold my C-Band DSR920 so I am unable to try it out. This is a UHF remote. If someone with a 920/922 remote would you give it a try. You can make a homemade antenna by using a length of RG6 stripped to the copper. Just install a connector at the STB end.

There are several places to buy these online.

http://www.thesatelliteshop.net/C-Band.html

Tried mine and it works!!

The nice thing about this product is you just add it to the Voom remote and it works. The whole kit was under $30.00

bobbyd said:
I have my receiver in another area of the house so operation has not been easy, until I found out that the Voom receiver already has the RF receiver built in with just an IR remote.
I have found a product by a company called Next Generation Home Products, that by replacing one of the batteries in the remote I can make the remote RF and it works great. I wanted to see if anyone else has done this. If you haven't I would recommend it to everyone. It works great

OK - I looked at their site and I'm still not sure I understand. You insert the battery holder - then place the emitter near the Voom. What else do you do? Where is the UHF transmitter? Thanks...

RF Voom

The transmitter is in the battery replacement unit. When you replace one of the batteries in the remote with this it adds RF to the remote. I was able just to buy the battery transmitter not the whole kit. With the receiver built into the Voom, there was nothing else to buy.
I then just hook up an antenna that I had to the back of the Voom receiver where it says UHF and it was done.

This is excellent! So you can convert the VOOM's remote to an RF remote by simply replacing a battery! Wow! great find, bobbyd!

Help out a novice, please: exactly what is it that you can do with this product? Control Voom from another room? Or send Voom's signal to other tvs? Both?

The way I understand it, this Remote Range Xtender product is universal. You can convert pretty much any IR remote that uses AA batteries to an RF remote using this kit, which includes a "bright eye" emitter. However, in case of VOOM you have an additional benefit, as you don't need to use that "bright eye" emitter. You can use the STB's built-in RF receiver instead!

So, if you simply replace one of the batteries in the VOOM's remote with that special battery offered in the kit and attach a short antenna to the back of the STB (as bobbyd did), you could control your VOOM STB from another room.

RF Voom

This has nothing to do with the video or audio, it is a way to control your Voom reciever, if the receiver is out of site or behind closed doors of a cabinet.

Ilya said:
The way I understand it, this Remote Range Xtender product is universal. You can convert pretty much any IR remote that uses AA batteries to an RF remote using this kit, which includes a "bright eye" emitter. However, in case of VOOM you have an additional benefit, as you don't need to use that "bright eye" emitter. You can use the STB's built-in RF receiver instead!

So, if you simply replace one of the batteries in the VOOM's remote with that special battery offered in the kit and attach a short antenna to the back of the STB (as bobbyd did), you could control your VOOM STB from another room.

Ilya, one question, will it work with the Harmony remote or not.

bobbyd said:
This has nothing to do with the video or audio, it is a way to control your Voom reciever, if the receiver is out of site or behind closed doors of a cabinet.

Okay, this kinda answers my question, but I'll still ask it anyway. How else are people using something like this? I love geeky technical stuff like this and am always looking for ways to use it. :yes

Sean Mota said:
Ilya, one question, will it work with the Harmony remote or not.
No, it won't. Not yet. Harmony uses AAA batteries. But according to the web site, a AAA version of the Remote Range Xtender might be coming soon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)