ALL VOOM TO GO MPEG4 AUGUST 15th

I got the call yesterday.
They had me until the additional 18 month commitment. No thanks.

-SNT

18 month committment = FREE reciever. Not sure what receiver you have, but if you would be swapping for a 622 isn't that worth it?

18 month committment = FREE reciever. Not sure what receiver you have, but if you would be swapping for a 622 isn't that worth it?

I have the 942.
It's not free. It would cost me $6 per month on top of the additional $5 for the programming. If I leave it as it is, I get all the same programming I do now, minus Voom, which I don't watch anyway, so I actually save that cost. My bill will be less now.

But the biggest factor is that I do not want the ties. My initial commitment ends this month. I have been considering switching for a while now, I just need to weigh the options when I get the motivation. :)

-SNT

I have the 942.
It's not free. It would cost me $6 per month on top of the additional $5 for the programming. If I leave it as it is, I get all the same programming I do now, minus Voom, which I don't watch anyway, so I actually save that cost. My bill will be less now.

But the biggest factor is that I do not want the ties. My initial commitment ends this month. I have been considering switching for a while now, I just need to weigh the options when I get the motivation. :)

-SNT

One thing to consider is Dish can at any time switch the other MPEG2 channels to MPEG4. There's no guarantee they will stay MPEG2. At that point you may be stuck with leasing a 622 with cost.

Everything is a gamble with Dish because their business model changes like the Denver weather in winter.

Are ya feelin lucky?:D

this is strange! about two weeks ago, I called Dish about me being a good customer for 10 years and wanted to know about the possibility of getting a second VIP622 receiver to replace a 921 in the bedroom. One CSR said no and I called again. This person said sure, you can just swap a 921 for a 622 and no additional lease. I would pay $149.00 up front on my credit card and would get $50.00 right a way and $10.00 per month credit on my bill. They knew wahat they were doing all along just to try and make me feel good. and I do!. by the way I also have the everything pkg. so a lot of fees are waved. thanks for the info Scott.

Similar thing, I am having a new roof put on and it means my 129 dish needs to be moved. I called Dish and they wanted 99 dollars. I talked to them about replacing my 811 and the guy kept trying to send me to tech support to learn how to do a software upgrade so my 811 would receive Mpeg4:rolleyes:

I finally got transferred around until I happened upon another CSR. She was more then happy to have the dish moved for free because of being a longtime customer. I mentioned the 811 issue and that I also have 2 more HDtvs and wanted to replace a 501 for a 622. She said I could do it if I traded in my 501 and 301 for the 149 minus 50 dollar rebate AND re upping to an 18 month commitment.

So in my mind I am getting the additional 622 and my dishes moved for 100 dollars.
She also said to wait till august to swap the 811 for a 211 and I could still keep my 811 active to use as a SD receiver in my garage( where the 301 is now)

One thing to consider is Dish can at any time switch the other MPEG2 channels to MPEG4. There's no guarantee they will stay MPEG2. At that point you may be stuck with leasing a 622 with cost.

Everything is a gamble with Dish because their business model changes like the Denver weather in winter.

Are ya feelin lucky?:D

That may be the motivation to switch. I don't know. But I do know that I am not interested in being stuck in another commitment with them.

Derwin0,
IIRC, it's $13.33 x the number of months left on the contract.

-SNT

That may be the motivation to switch. I don't know. But I do know that I am not interested in being stuck in another commitment with them.

Derwin0,
IIRC, it's $13.33 x the number of months left on the contract.

-SNT

I don't mind the commitment since DISH is much better than cable. Direct would be to much out of pocket for 2 HD DVR's and an extra HD receiver. I have 4 HD tvs

yesterday's post, I said I was scheduled for a 622 install at 7a.m. They were here at 8:05a.m. The install was a professional and smooth. I returned the junky 921 that I was always having trouble with. It was a receiver for receiver and no change in my monthly bill. I hope that anybody who changes receives the same kind of treatment That I got. I don't mind the 18 month commitment as I had still 6 months on the old one. I have been a customer for 10 years and I'm not about to quit now. We have Time-Warner here and no HD what-so-ever. My Son has Comcast where he lives and his HD programming can't compete with mine. Let's hope for NESNHD soon. By the way DISHGUYS from Manchester, N.H. did the install. Kudos to them.

New Catch to HD Upgrade

I was just told moments ago that I would have to upgrade to the Family Pak in order to get the receiver upgrade. So it's not really the deal that their email and phone call to me represented.

I declined their offer of paying for the Family Pak and an 18 month commitment.

Last edited:
I'm trying to sort this out. I upgraded one 811 to a 211 more than a year ago, but I still have two active 811's on my account, used on two different HD sets. I already have AT250 and the HD Pack. I haven't gotten a call or email yet.

Am I being penalized for paying to upgrade one receiver too early? Will I have to pay the Dishn'-it-up fee to upgrade the other two?

I'm trying to sort this out. I upgraded one 811 to a 211 more than a year ago, but I still have two active 811's on my account, used on two different HD sets. I already have AT250 and the HD Pack. I haven't gotten a call or email yet.

Am I being penalized for paying to upgrade one receiver too early? Will I have to pay the Dishn'-it-up fee to upgrade the other two?

Phase I is only for subs who have MPEG2 receiver AND the old HD Voom package. Phase II is still murky.

I was just told moments ago that I would have to upgrade to the Family Pak in order to get the receiver upgrade. So it's not really the deal that their email and phone call to me represented.

I declined their offer of paying for the Family Pak and an 18 month commitment.

"upgrade" to the Family Pack, the lowest package available? What do you have now? Some sort of grandfathered HD only deal?

Your OTA ATSC signals are as pure as the broadcasters can make them unless your local affiliates are screwing around (some do, fortunately most of mine don't). The OTA broadcasters aren't starved for bandwidth and don't have to compress the signal to fit X number of channels on a given satellite transponder. That's why the Dish HD stuff doesn't compare, PQ-wise, to well operated OTA HD. In fact, current Dish HD isn't up to the PQ of Dish HD back in 2003, but at least they are better than DirectTV HD.

Hmmm- perhaps we have a terminology difference. ALL digital OTA signals are compressed; that is the only way you can cram higher resolution, better sound and color, and other data into the bandwidth once serving a 480i analog signal. Pure? Not sure how that's defined. As the least compression of something sent wirelessly? BTW, HD DVD and Blu-ray can both provide an HD signal with much less compression than even OTA. How often this will happen, I will not guess at.

Yes, the 6MHz bandwidth limits OTA broadcasters, just not necessarily as much as cable and sat. But the cablecos and satcos could decide to provide fewer channels and less compression. Don't hold your breath. Many OTA stations multicast. Channel 66 in this area transmits as many as 6 SD programs in the same channel. And WETA channel 26 sometimes broadcasts one HD program and 3 SD programs simultaneously. Needless to say, that "HD" channel suffers from this. These stations are not alone. Multi-casting has a strong business case in much of the country.

And don't forget, satcos can use MPEG-4, which is not available to OTA broadcasters. That gives them the potential to match or even exceed excellent OTA broadcasts. Potential. Don't expect it, but it does allow for very good PQ.

OTA is often the best, but that is due to decisions of their competitors. There is no inherent advantage OTA has over other delivery methods.

" What do you have now? Some sort of grandfathered HD only deal?

Yes, I've never wanted or subscribed to any Dish SD programming. I've been through the 5000, 6000, and 811 receivers and maintained my HD Pak plus Voom. It looks like my luck just ran out.

I received the message a couple of days ago for the upgrade, but my answering machine cut out before the phone number. Is this available through the normal 1-800-333-DISH number, or was a special number provided for calling in?

Yes, I've never wanted or subscribed to any Dish SD programming. I've been through the 5000, 6000, and 811 receivers and maintained my HD Pak plus Voom. It looks like my luck just ran out.

Well, it was a good run while it lasted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)