alternative methods of getting adjacent market locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

buckspaul

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
It really sucks living literally on the market boundary of two big markets. My home address is located 1000 feet from #1 market but located in #4 i can not get waivers because i get local channels..... Is there a gray market i can go through to get the #1 locals??? because im located in a valley i can not receive either #1 or #4 market digital channels or analog clearly OTA (50 miles to both cities transmitters) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS wont give the local 1970's cable company another 1 cent to get both cities channels...

:mad:

PSS these lobbysts are something else they are the ones who make the laws now............

Last edited:
If you are that close to the DMA you want then "move" to a friend's address that is on the other side of the line. It isn't legal to do that per the DirecTV agreement but you may be surprised how many people do it anyways.

It really sucks living literally on the market boundary of two big markets. My home address is located 1000 feet from #1 market but located in #4 i can not get waivers because i get local channels..... Is there a gray market i can go through to get the #1 locals??? because im located in a valley i can not receive either #1 or #4 market digital channels or analog clearly OTA (50 miles to both cities transmitters) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS wont give the local 1970's cable company another 1 cent to get both cities channels...

PSS these lobbysts are something else they are the ones who make the laws now............

50 miles is not far at all for OTA antennas, the valley you mentioned may be another issue.
Have you tried ANY antennas (outdoor type).

Jimbo

yes i have an OTA the hills block signal from both cities. thats the problem.

I was thinking of just getting a A UPS store mailbox since they use real addresses and tell directv i moved and i installed the antenna myself or my new address already has directv installed..or do they have a database of residential addresses to verify information?

Last edited:
any zip in bucks is philly.. any zip code on the other side of the river in hunterdon county is nyc. it jus sucks. here in northern bucks we are aloud most of the ny channnels on cable in addition to philly no its not comcast either service electric from allentown and they are the worst private company you can imagine.

Yep. I am in a valley-galore here in Phoenix and I get great OTA as do many of my friends. Some at or over the 50m.

yes i have an OTA the hills block signal from both cities. thats the problem.

I was thinking of just getting a A UPS store mailbox since they use real addresses and tell directv i moved and i installed the antenna myself or my new address already has directv installed..or do they have a database of residential addresses to verify information?

I heard that it has to be a legal residential address. Legal not as in legitimate but as legally possible. For example, let's say there is a 420 Erie Street and 424 Erie Street. There may not be a house where 422 Erie Street would fall but it would be legally possible to have that address so that should work as a DirecTV address.

Am I to understand that you live within 1000 feet of the Del river across form NJ and have PHL locals but want NYC locals?..Why?

WHY NOTwe get both on cable i go to both cities and i do business and a consumer in both markets not just philly and i like watching both cities local news OTA doest work because im in the river valley surroundedb by 400 feet hills. most people in this area are orginally from nyc and and philly area anyway thats why they carry both cites channel on cable

Because cable has been allowed to operate under different rules (unlevel playing field) for decades and with the help of the NAB and local affiliates has fought satellite's rights to offer locals any any form, and continues to fight satellite's rights on how they offer locals and at what costs. Things have been slow to change, but at least have been leveling out SOME now that people are starting to see the ridiculous advantages cable has been afforded.

Last edited:
WHY NOTwe get both on cable i go to both cities and i do business and a consumer in both markets not just philly and i like watching both cities local news OTA doest work because im in the river valley surroundedb by 400 feet hills. most people in this area are orginally from nyc and and philly area anyway thats why they carry both cites channel on cable
You live on the fringe of tow DMA's...Under the "must carry" regulations cable co's are required to place those channels on their systems..Satellite, while under similar must carry rules are required only to carry the signals from the dma that the zip code of the subscriber qualifies for PLUS any "significantly viewed" channels from an adjacent market..
It's not a question of why not.....The rules are what they are..If you want two DMA's get cable....it's that simple...If you want the rules changed write your US Huose Rep and Senator.....

You live on the fringe of tow DMA's...Under the "must carry" regulations cable co's are required to place those channels on their systems..Satellite, while under similar must carry rules are required only to carry the signals from the dma that the zip code of the subscriber qualifies for PLUS any "significantly viewed" channels from an adjacent market..
It's not a question of why not.....The rules are what they are..If you want two DMA's get cable....it's that simple...If you want the rules changed write your US Huose Rep and Senator.....

The sv portion of your statement isn't correct. Only a few areas have sv channels available to them on D*.

what's your point?..I did not state not did I imply that SV's were available in ALL markets, now did I?

Yes, you did state that. You said:

"Satellite, while under similar must carry rules are required only to carry the signals from the dma that the zip code of the subscriber qualifies for PLUS any "significantly viewed" channels from an adjacent market."

This is a cut and paste, direct quote from you.

You said they are required to carry sv channels from adjacent markets, but in fact, they don't, except for in a few. Did I miss something or did you mis-state your position?

Yes, you did state that. You said:

"Satellite, while under similar must carry rules are required only to carry the signals from the dma that the zip code of the subscriber qualifies for PLUS any "significantly viewed" channels from an adjacent market."

This is a cut and paste, direct quote from you.

You said they are required to carry sv channels from adjacent markets, but in fact, they don't, except for in a few. Did I miss something or did you mis-state your position?
read it gain..The word "any" is inserted into the sentence to indicate the possibilty...If you want to go though life splitting hairs, do it on your own time...What difference does it make anyway..Or is it your undying need to let everyone in on your vast wealth of knowledge....
here's the ruling from the FCC in part...
Needs and Uses: 47 CFR 76.54(b) provides for cable operators and
broadcast stations seeking cable carriage of ``significantly viewed''
signals to use the Sec. 76.7 petition process to demonstrate
``significantly viewed'' status on a community basis by independent
professional audience surveys. The rule changes require satellite
carriers or broadcast stations seeking satellite carriage of
``significantly viewed'' signals to use the same petition process now
in place for cable operators, as required by 47 CFR 76.5, 76.7 and
76.54 of the FCC's rules.
47 CFR 76.54(e) and (f) are additions to the rule. These rules will
be used to notify television broadcast stations about the
retransmission of significantly viewed signals by a satellite carrier
into these stations' local market.
Section 202 of the SHVERA created section 340 of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended (``Communications Act'' or
``Act''), which provides satellite carriers with the authority to offer
Commission-determined ``significantly viewed'' signals of out-of-market
(or ``distant'') broadcast stations to subscribers. Within 60 days of
enactment, the SHVERA required the Commission to (1) publish and
maintain a list of stations eligible for ``significantly viewed''
status and the related communities (as determined by the Commission)
(see 47 U.S.C. 340(c)(1)(A)(i)), and (2) commence a rulemaking
proceeding to implement section 340, thus enabling satellite carriage
of such ``significantly viewed'' signals (47 U.S.C. 340(c)(1)(A)(ii)).

notice the 60 day requirement to establish which stations are eligible under SV....
There you have it..The FCC's rules....Now, what else would you like to be incorrect about?

read it gain..The word "any" is inserted into the sentence to indicate the possibilty...If you want to go though life splitting hairs, do it on your own time...What difference does it make anyway..Or is it your undying need to let everyone in on your vast wealth of knowledge....
here's the ruling from the FCC in part...
Needs and Uses: 47 CFR 76.54(b) provides for cable operators and
broadcast stations seeking cable carriage of ``significantly viewed''
signals to use the Sec. 76.7 petition process to demonstrate
``significantly viewed'' status on a community basis by independent
professional audience surveys. The rule changes require satellite
carriers or broadcast stations seeking satellite carriage of
``significantly viewed'' signals to use the same petition process now
in place for cable operators, as required by 47 CFR 76.5, 76.7 and
76.54 of the FCC's rules.
47 CFR 76.54(e) and (f) are additions to the rule. These rules will
be used to notify television broadcast stations about the
retransmission of significantly viewed signals by a satellite carrier
into these stations' local market.
Section 202 of the SHVERA created section 340 of the
Communications Act of 1934, as amended (``Communications Act'' or
``Act''), which provides satellite carriers with the authority to offer
Commission-determined ``significantly viewed'' signals of out-of-market
(or ``distant'') broadcast stations to subscribers. Within 60 days of
enactment, the SHVERA required the Commission to (1) publish and
maintain a list of stations eligible for ``significantly viewed''
status and the related communities (as determined by the Commission)
(see 47 U.S.C. 340(c)(1)(A)(i)), and (2) commence a rulemaking
proceeding to implement section 340, thus enabling satellite carriage
of such ``significantly viewed'' signals (47 U.S.C. 340(c)(1)(A)(ii)).

notice the 60 day requirement to establish which stations are eligible under SV....
There you have it..The FCC's rules....Now, what else would you like to be incorrect about?

This doesn't address the other 209 markets. As was mentioned SV channels are far and few between.
Raoul's point was that SV channels are not available in most places yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)