Alternatives to Hopper/Joey for 2 HDTVs

There is no monthly dvr fee with the 211's. You pay a one time $40 fee and that's it. So using two 211's would end up being $86.99 per month.

You're right. Thank you, I've corrected my post. I clearly copied and pasted in too much of a hurry. IOW, placed fingers in motion before brain was fully engaged.

Well, the new UI/Guide is worth something to some. Hopefully, no OTA charge, based on past practice. I really doubt that they would do that.

Yep. I gather I posted the post just before yours while you were typing. Many of us, at decision time, chose to avoid ViP612s because of their reputations at the time.
That's a shame. I've had a 612 for 3 years and have had no issues with it at all. Considering that it has 2 tuners plus a built in OTA tuner, and can operate a HD & SD TV at the same time, it's a nice machine for the money. It's perfect for my upstairs TVs where one is HD the other is SD and they are never operated at the same time. I was able to us the remote from my old 510 as a second remote for it too.

Certainly it has been good for some years now. But I had to decide back then. As two ViP612s would suffice for me, I should have downgraded long ago. But it ain't broke so I ain't fixin' it. ;) <insert crossed fingers smilie>

Eventually, I will give some thought to switching to H/J.

For me, a single 722 to 1H/1J, I'd be losing:

1. OTA in my 722
2. Built in SD out
3. $11/month

I'd gain:

1. An HD.
[strike]2. Bluetooth[/strike] - don't care
2. New hardware
[strike]3. Whole Home DVR[/strike] - [strike]oops, already have it[/strike] - SD ONLY ... but it is UNLIMITED SD
[strike]3. PTA[/strike] - don't care, it would be turned off
3. 1 SAT tuner.

Yes ... you do have whole home DVR ... but it is SD only ... mind you ... unlimited outlets.

First, a big thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

My Actiontec MWTV200 arrived and is working beautifully. I got a used one for about $70, updated the firmware, plugged it in, and it worked immediately. So HDMI over wireless is a great solution as long as you don't mind mirroring TV1 and TV2 isn't too far away.

But please keep the ideas and suggestions coming.

If you really want a two rooms with hd DVR then you could use two 612s. The first is free, the second is 10, and the DVR fee is 6 so that's 16 on top of your programming and other fees. Then you have 4 tuners plus it's in both receivers and not have any wasted tv2 outputs. But that's only $1 less than a hopper and a Joey.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
i agree with this. 1 dollar is 1 dollar.but still h/j gonna be better imo.

The Sling Adapter alternative has interested me.

$30 for the Sling Adapter.

"Something" with an HDMI out and internet (Heck my iPhone 4 with an adapter would work here even!)

Does the Sling Adapter have the ability to send 1080P/I?

Apparently not. See THIS thread. Sling is fine for watching on a small screen, but I personally don't think the quality is there for a big screen.

My wireless HD transmitter is still working flawlessly at full 1080i/p. The bandwidth on mine is something like 60 meg, so it can easily handle anything Dish or my Blu-ray player can throw at it. I wish I'd gotten it much sooner.

The Sling Adapter alternative has interested me.

$30 for the Sling Adapter.

"Something" with an HDMI out and internet (Heck my iPhone 4 with an adapter would work here even!)

Does the Sling Adapter have the ability to send 1080P/I?

The quality depends on your internet connection. The sling will not send to another TV.

The quality depends on your internet connection. The sling will not send to another TV.
This is a very important point. The only way to make this work is to run the sling player on another device like a PC, iPhone or iPad first, then AirPlay it to an AppleTV that's connected to your TV (in the case of iOS devices). Internet connection speed is not an issue on your local network. But all those other devices make this a very impractical solution.

You don't have to AirPlay it via AppleTV ... with regards to an iDevice ... you could just get the HDMI out adapter ... no???

Granted ... it is 720P ... but it is at least HD ... and should not look that bad ... on say a 32 inch or lower ... in theory anyway ;)

(AppleTV only does 720P ... no?)

I think you can get the adapter retail for around $40 ... perhaps cheaper online ...

You don't have to AirPlay it via AppleTV ... with regards to an iDevice ... you could just get the HDMI out adapter ... no???

Granted ... it is 720P ... but it is at least HD ... and should not look that bad ... on say a 32 inch or lower ... in theory anyway ;)

(AppleTV only does 720P ... no?)

I think you can get the adapter retail for around $40 ... perhaps cheaper online ...
Sure you can. But do you really want to fire up the Dish app on your iPad, find your program and start playback, plug it into the HDMI adapter and leave it sitting next to your tv. Then every time you want to fast fwd or change the channel, get up, walk over to the tv, pick up the iPad, make your changes, then go sit back down. Sounds very impractical to me, but hey, it's good exercise. Either that or string a long HDMI cable across the room.

It is my understanding that it does ... but folks have said that the move from EHD to DVR and out causes ... lag and skips. If the recording is on the DVR ... the general consensus is no problem.

I may depend on your hardware ... wireless vs wired for example ... too.

I thought you could still use the remote?
No you can't. All control is through the Dish app on the iOS device. That's why I said it was impractical. Air Play would be a little better, but you still have to use the iPad to do everything. You just display the iPad screen on your TV. With a simple wireless HD transmitter, on the other hand, it's totally seamless. The remote and guide works just like you're sitting in front of TV1, and you get full HD instead of just 720p.

Okay ... thanks for the clarification.

The idea however is to get ... independent ... HD viewing ... on a second TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts