am i doing this wrong????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IntelPennny4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
USA
i have a 30" dish and have a mk1-pll lnb i am trying to pick up sat 103w for nbc. i got the skew set to 25 but have got nothing coming in. whats the problem?????? yes its ku band

i havnt been able to pick it up at all. i havnt done any scanning because i havnt been able to pick it up. im using a meter model number applied xr-3.

So, I suspect your dish isn't pointing at the satellite or maybe not any satellite.

How did you set it up?

The alignment needs to be within about 1 degree, so it's quite a fine difference between full signal and nothing.

im using a winegard ds-2177 dish. i have the mk1-pll with a bracket screwed to the arm. ill take pictures and post them in a couple mins

im using a winegard ds-2177 dish. i have the mk1-pll with a bracket screwed to the arm. ill take pictures and post them in a couple mins

Thanks.

Stop me if you're already experienced in this, but the dish needs to be pointing within about 1 degree, both left-right and up-down, of the satellite, so once you've mounted it on a pole, you need to align it with the satellite. Setting 103W in your receiver does not mean the dish is configured.

The dishpointer.com website will allow you to enter your address and 103W and it will give you the approximate direction and elevation to set on your dish. That gives you a good place to begin.

Has the satellite signal meter shown any signal as you move the dish around?

If it does, tweak it for maximum signal and then run a scan on the receiver. Based on the channels you can receive, we'll know the direction in which the dish is pointed. Once you find one satellite, it's quite easy to keep moving the dish a little to the next one, then next one, until you hit 103W.

this is how i have it setup. and no this my first time getting into the ku band. after ku im going to try c band

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 4,200
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 190
I see it's a modified dish, is the LNB in the correct place and pointing to the right area of the dish. Placement is very precise -- a couple of centimeters can make a huge difference in the signal being received. Here's how the dish normally looks. See the LNB is pointing to the lower center of the dish. Is yours pointing to the same area?

DS2077_zoom.jpg

Reactions: Titanium
For starters, the LNBF doesn't appear to be mounted correctly on the arm. If the new LNBF feedhorn is not set at the correct height, distance and angle to the reflector, it will have very poor or no reception.

Place the original LNBF back on the dish and make a template of the exact position and angle of the feedhorn cap. Install the bracket so the new LNBF feedhorn cap is at the same height, the same angle and the same distance to the reflector.

Edit: Martyn beat me to the post... :)

ok i got it all setup now. i fix the height and distance which help the best and was way off lol. should i be using a dish that is fixed for ku band lnbs? does the ku band give program guide info?

Last edited:
ok i got it all setup now. i fix the height and distance which help the best and was way off lol.

Great.

should i be using a dish that is fixed for ku band lnbs?

If the LNB is in the correct place then that dish should work. But, as mentioned before, it needs to be in just the right place. Getting a fixed FTA dish would remove any problems you might have with LNB placement, but will also cost you money. Before investing in another dish, I'd try to get this one going.

If you think the LNB is in the correct place, your next job is to aim the dish.

Using dishpointer, get the dish pointing in approximately the right direction then, standing at the dish, move it *slowly* from side to side looking for a signal. If you get nothing, move it a tad up or down and do another sweep. Rinse and repeat. If you are slow enough and careful enough, eventually your signal meter should detect a signal. It might not be 103W, but once you're on one satellite, it's much easier to move across the arc to others.

I see you still have snow. This is much easier if you can get the receiver and a TV next to you rather than having to keep running into the house.

does the ku band give program guide info?

No. The NBC feeds on 103 are the network feeds sent to NBC affiliates.

NBC, like most broadcast networks, is not a 24 hour service. You'll get programming in the morning (Today Show), main news and primetime programming (from 8pm). Sports during the day at weekends. There might a couple of shows during the day, I'm not familiar enough with the schedule, but all the syndicated shows on your local NBC affiliate during the day are not on these channels. As such, there is no program guide because the audience is affiliates, not the general public.

ok thank you so much for the info. i have locked onto 97w and got 86% signal. i dont need to run into the house when i am using a satellite meter. like i said before im starting out with ku for i can work my way up to c band. i got a 7.5ft or 8ft cant remember and want to use that for 125w for the music choice channels. im not into motors. i would rather have 4 or 5 sats in my yard then have a motor. but i just am looking to learn for i can work my way up to c band. should the program guide work on 97w? and yes i did end up getting 103w. is there any music channels on ku band worth listen to?

ok thank you so much for the info. i have locked onto 97w and got 86% signal. i dont need to run into the house when i am using a satellite meter. like i said before im starting out with ku for i can work my way up to c band. i got a 7.5ft or 8ft cant remember and want to use that for 125w for the music choice channels. im not into motors. i would rather have 4 or 5 sats in my yard then have a motor. but i just am looking to learn for i can work my way up to c band. should the program guide work on 97w? and yes i did end up getting 103w. is there any music channels on ku band worth listen to?
IM kinda late to this discussion but its possible to do multi feeds on one dish. Id recommend a minimum of a 90cm dish though especially if you want to pick up pbs programming. i installed a modified hugesnet dish with 3 lnbf's on my house and i get 103w 97w and 91w with a second 1m hugesnet dish pointed at 125w for pbs. Interestingly enough i managed these same 3 satellites with a modified dish 500 (though this was mostly to see if it would work). Also have a 90cm dish on a motor at my shop and it works very well, definitely not something to be afraid of, but with a couple of stationary dishes you could pick up most of the stuff youd want to watch with multi feeds and diseqc or 22kh switches. A Cband dish in my humble opinion is really limited without a motor. And there are at least 2 reasonable options and a possible thrid i havent tried for a dishmover, as well as lots easier with c-band lnbf's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)