am I leasing or do I own?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

enricong

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I signed up for directv back on august 2005. I also added on an HD receiver that I owned (r5000-hd). I'm currently getting charged a $4.95 additional receiver fee. I do not see any sort of leasing fee. I'll be moving in two weeks and will be canceling directv for dish. Is there a way to figure out if I am leasing my receiver or if I own it? I'd like to know for sure before I call them up to cancel. Also, what do I do with the dish itself?

judging by the time frame and model you own it. the fee you're paying is normal. it's not a lease fee.

It sounds like you own your receivers, but your paper bill or on-line statement will tell you for sure. I own some & lease the new ones & my on-line account tells me which is which. If you had them install the dish (in 2005) most likely the dish is theirs (Slimline, At-9, Crapshooter?); they would simply come & take the LNB's off the dish & leave the mast/dish (though I've seen them leave everything on a house in Chicago).

I'm not sure if your moving to a location that already has Dish or are unhappy with DTV but if your still looking for deals now is the time to request stuff from DTV while you hold all the cards. Besides the obvious movers relocation program they will offer just about anything to you when you say the magic word "cancel".

I'm pretty sure I got my At9 in 2005 but it doesn't really matter here. Do they not take the LNB's off the dish anymore when people move?

No. I've always figured it was in any satellite or cable company's best interest to keep the house satellite/cable ready for the next owner/tenant. I know when I moved into this house I was happy that the previous owner was a DirecTV sub. Once I got my receivers out I was up and running in 10-15 minutes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)