AM21 Being Discontinued

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Seems over at DBS talk there is info to support the AM21 is going bye bye for a new model. Im interested, I had problems with my AM21 and HR24, so Id love to try a new model in hopes it works better.

elwaylite said:
Seems over at DBS talk there is info to support the AM21 is going bye bye for a new model. Im interested, I had problems with my AM21 and HR24, so Id love to try a new model in hopes it works better.

MAYBE it will be one that actually SCANS !!!

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Maybe now I will one if it does scan and match the look of the 24

Sent from your moms EVO using SatGuys App

Maybe now I will one if it does scan and match the look of the 24

I'm not too concerned about the look, if it's as good as the current one.
I have the HR24 sitting on top of the AM21 and you barely notice the AM21

Not sure. According to DBS lack of scanning is software only, not hardware.

Maybe this.one was redesigned to work better with new models.

Jimbo said:
I'm not too concerned about the look, if it's as good as the current one.
I have the HR24 sitting on top of the AM21 and you barely notice the AM21

10-4 bud

Not sure. According to DBS lack of scanning is software only, not hardware.

Maybe this.one was redesigned to work better with new models.

I read somewhere that's exactly the reason, so it works with new models of receivers, and that's the only difference.

The speculation is that the AM-21 is being revised to add a new power output for the H-25 receiver. The H25 does not use the two prong adapter like all the other receivers, instead it uses a round plug. The new AM21 is said to have the exact same functionality just the new power port for compatibility.

Personally I would like to see them make it smaller in addition to H25 compatibility, but we'll see.

Since the AM21 is just an almost empty box, has anyone gutted the box and mounted the components in a smaller footprint?

It`s also empty of picking up all the OTA available in my area.
Thats because it does not have the ability to SCAN.
Whatever D* has in their database is what you'll get.
Just an observation..
I just recently switched from Dish to Direct. I used the OTA tuner built into my old ViP722 and just yesterday received a AM-21 tuner for use with my new HR24. The AM-21 shows the exact same guide information as I had before meaning I have guide info on just the same channels as before. The channels missing the info are the very same ones. I guess this has everything to do with Tribune Media (the company that supplies the data).

I'm sure it's all about money for directv. It's probably a cheaper outer shell and a less expensive guts inside.
It'll be a less expensive for them to manufacture with the same or higher end user cost.

Actually I have to disagree. There is one channel that shows up with the AM-21 here with guide data that, while it would show up on the 722 would never have guide data. I hassled Tribune and Dish for more than a year about it and it was never fixed before I left Dish (which was about 2 months ago). I've had the AM-21 for about a month. I suppose it could have been fixed during that month when I didn't have either, but that seems unlikely...

I think there's plenty of blame to go around on missing channels with Tribune, E*, and D*.
Just an observation..
I just recently switched from Dish to Direct. I used the OTA tuner built into my old ViP722 and just yesterday received a AM-21 tuner for use with my new HR24. The AM-21 shows the exact same guide information as I had before meaning I have guide info on just the same channels as before. The channels missing the info are the very same ones. I guess this has everything to do with Tribune Media (the company that supplies the data).

Actually I have to disagree. There is one channel that shows up with the AM-21 here with guide data that, while it would show up on the 722 would never have guide data. I hassled Tribune and Dish for more than a year about it and it was never fixed before I left Dish (which was about 2 months ago). I've had the AM-21 for about a month. I suppose it could have been fixed during that month when I didn't have either, but that seems unlikely...

I think there's plenty of blame to go around on missing channels with Tribune, E*, and D*.

You can sometimes add blame to the channels themselves.
I was working with Tribune trying to fix an issue and Tribune got the same response as me when I went directly to the channel. They came back to me to say the channel (a sub-channel) was not on satellite so that was the reason we don't get the channel. I said no.. no.. and that the satellite service just provides the guide data. I just gave up and in the end the channel went from wrong data to "digital service". That was WRNN-DT3 Kingston, NY.

Checking between the AM21 and the Dish EPG list both are missing things
AM21 is missing WUCW-DT3 23-3 (the country network)
Dish EPG shows "digital service" for both 23-3 and 45-2 (ThisTV)...the AM21 shows guide info for 45-2

The Dish unit would be able to pick up the low powered EWTN and TBN we have here. The AM21 wont get them

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)