Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK I ordered a AM21 so I only need one receiver to record both sat & OTA (I'm using a converter box for the locals) because I "moved"

So how will they look in the guide? Will they all merge together like this
2-1 OTA
2-2 OTA
2-3 OTA
2-4 OTA
3 "Moved" locals
4-1 OTA
6 "Moved" locals

etc?
or will the OTA go first then the "moved" locals?

OK I ordered a AM21 so I only need one receiver to record both sat & OTA (I'm using a converter box for the locals) because I "moved"

2-1 OTA
2-2 OTA
2-3 OTA
2-4 OTA
3 "Moved" locals
4-1 OTA
6 "Moved" locals

etc?

In the guide they are just ordered by channel number so they are all over the place.

2-1 OTA
2-2 OTA
2-3 OTA
2-4 OTA
3 "Moved" locals
4-1 OTA
6 "Moved" locals

etc?

Ice, you have it correct.
The D* channels will be regular numbers and the OTA with the -1.
The D* channel will show up first so if you had channel 3 OTA as well it would look like this.

ok thats what I figured but wanted to make sure

there will be a example of what you mention too. Minneapolis has a 11 (11-1 & 11-2) and my "moved" locals (Duluth, MN) have an 11 too. so it will look like this
11 Sat local
11-1 OTA
11-2 OTA

ok thats what I figured but wanted to make sure

there will be a example of what you mention too. Minneapolis has a 11 (11-1 & 11-2) and my "moved" locals (Duluth, MN) have an 11 too. so it will look like this
11 Sat local
11-1 OTA
11-2 OTA

Hopefully the AM21 works for you. If my DVR reboots, one OTA channel I don't want shows up in the guide and I have redo the initial antenna setup to get rid of it.

Hopefully the AM21 works for you. If my DVR reboots, one OTA channel I don't want shows up in the guide and I have redo the initial antenna setup to get rid of it.

Why not just go to the EDIT screen and remove it that way ?
A reboot should not add unwanted channels, but if you go thru the Inital set up it will definitely add them.

The D* channels will be regular numbers and the OTA with the -1.

Actually, some of the D* delivered locals ALSO have -2.
eg: one of the local Chicago PBS's has their SD primary ch listed as 56, then their subchannel listed as 56-2 - again, BOTH are D* delivered.

The D* channel will show up first so if you had channel 3 OTA as well it would look like this.

You didn't mention if you have BOTH a D* AND an OTA of the same ch #.
In those cases, the D* HD (& any MPEG4 versions) are listed first, then any D* MPEG2 SD versions are listed, THEN any OTA versions are listed last.

Also, need to mention the OTA listings are all dark shaded from the D* delivered ones.

Also, need to mention the OTA listings are all dark shaded from the D* delivered ones.

Iceberg, for keeping things straight in the guide this is the most important thing. The contrast is reversed on the OTA channels and they stick out like a sore thumb in the guide. I have a similar setup to yours in that my "moved" D* locals are in Indy but I get my OTA channels from Terre Haute. It's all nicely integrated.

Actually, some of the D* delivered locals ALSO have -2.
eg: one of the local Chicago PBS's has their SD primary ch listed as 56, then their subchannel listed as 56-2 - again, BOTH are D* delivered.

In those cases, the D* HD (& any MPEG4 versions) are listed first, then any D* MPEG2 SD versions are listed, THEN any OTA versions are listed last.

Correct, I just presumed the -2 and -3 would be understood .... for some reason.:eek:

Yes there is a duplicate...11
Minneapolis has 11-1 & 11-2
Duluth (my moved market) has a 11 too
none of the Duluth locals are in HD on D* yet

so I assume it will show
11 Duluth local
11-1 Minneapolis OTA
11-2 Minneapolis OTA

Oh If I remember right, you can set up two zip codes for locals, right? Reason I ask is there is a distant station that I get OTA that isnt in my market

Yes there is a duplicate...11
Minneapolis has 11-1 & 11-2
Duluth (my moved market) has a 11 too
none of the Duluth locals are in HD on D* yet

so I assume it will show
11 Duluth local
11-1 Minneapolis OTA
11-2 Minneapolis OTA

Oh If I remember right, you can set up two zip codes for locals, right? Reason I ask is there is a distant station that I get OTA that isnt in my market

Yes you can, I think it works best if you start from scratch though as it will load the first one and then ask if you have a secondary city.

I do the same thing as far as the OTA's go.
I point my antenna to the east (Toledo) and start the set up, when thats done it will ask about a secondary city, I rotate the antenna to Detroit and scan there as well.
Then they both show up in the guide.

Yes you can, I think it works best if you start from scratch though as it will load the first one and then ask if you have a secondary city.

OK...I know on the old D10 it asked me for 2 zips so it downloaded the guide info for almost a week.
ON the DTVPal DVR you only get one zip so half of my channels dont show a guide more than 18 hours

patiently waiting for it :)

OK...I know on the old D10 it asked me for 2 zips so it downloaded the guide info for almost a week.
ON the DTVPal DVR you only get one zip so half of my channels dont show a guide more than 18 hours

patiently waiting for it :)

I think you'll get the full OTA guide right away, but the D* guide will have to build, usually the first three days are there right away or soon after it's done.

yeah it will be kinda nice to have 3 sets of locals integrated into one setup :)

I know if I have any setup questions I'll ask the experts here :)

so I assume it will show
11 Duluth local
11-1 Minneapolis OTA
11-2 Minneapolis OTA

Yes to all

It makes NO difference, as the box does not "scan" for anything - it is not like other OTA digital tuners.

I do the same thing as far as the OTA's go.
I point my antenna to the east (Toledo) and start the set up, when thats done it will ask about a secondary city, I rotate the antenna to Detroit and scan there as well.
Then they both show up in the guide.

See above - all it does is pulls off of D* pre-defined OTA database bases solely on zip code, that is obtained from TMS. You can even NOT have ANY antenna connected, & you'll still get the same result. ;) ;)

Last edited:
Yes to all

It makes NO difference, as the box does not "scan" for anything - it is not like other OTA digital tuners.

See above - all it does is pulls off of D* pre-defined OTA database bases solely on zip code, that is obtained from TMS. You can even NOT have ANY antenna connected, & you'll still get the same result. ;) ;)

I should not have mentioned the word "SCAN", I know it doesn't scan... but you would think that it did seeing how long it takes to load what it does find.

And in my experience, on a couple setups I've done for clients, I've had to reboot the receiver, to get ALL of local channels to even load into the EPG...

well the AM21 came and I was worried that it wouldnt work with a SD only R22 but it works :)

setup was a snap but after I loaded my locals in the unit rebooted (weird)

Had to do some changes with the setup as there are a couple spots where OTA has the same number. Thats what happens when you have a huge DMA. Lots of bogus channels (about 10-12) and dupes
We have a 9-1 & 9-2 and the northern part of the DMA also has a 9-1 and 9-2 (its PBS so they go to 9-6)....there is also a 12 up there (12-1) and we have a 12-1 & 12-2 so the callsign looks weird but removed the bogus 12-1 from the favorites and it works :)

So yeah it does combine all the locals together. Did notice I just can't hit "2" and have it go to 2-1 like my HDTV does. It says "channel not found".

Works pretty snifty :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cheapest way to get MRV?

transponder 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)