Amazon Fire Stick question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I'm thinking about getting one.

1. If I use it on my home LAN, will it stream to/from Hopper layer 2/ethernet or will it rely on my ISP connection?
2. What WiFi speed would be the minimum to support it?
3. In your experience, will it functionally replace a Joey without too much of a learning curve?

Thanks!

If you use it at home, it relies on the speed of your home network. It does not stream over the internet. If you are outside your home, it will rely on your ISP speed.

Outside your home, it is mostly your ISP upstream speed that matters the most. I used to have DSL and my upstream speed was only 0.7mbps, but I still used it, although the video was not that great. Now I have a cable modem and I get about 6mbps upstream, so the video looks really good. Inside you home, almost any home network will be fast enough for HD. Dish Anywhere maxes out at about 8.2mbps (which most home networks can handle easily). I don't know what the max is for the Fire Stick, but the Dish software will adapt use lower rates if your network can't handle the max speed.

I don't really own an Amazon fire stick, so I will leave your last question to other folks to answer. However, reviews that I have read have been positive.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Thanks Tony! I'm mostly concerned about inside the house, in case someone turns off Wifi on their phone and watches video over my limited Verizon plan. I've used Dish Anywhere on my smartphone and Amazon Fire, so I guess it could only be easier with the fire stick's remote control.

I'm thinking about getting one.

1. If I use it on my home LAN, will it stream to/from Hopper layer 2/ethernet or will it rely on my ISP connection?
2. What WiFi speed would be the minimum to support it?
3. In your experience, will it functionally replace a Joey without too much of a learning curve?

Thanks!

It should stick to layer 2 as long as you’re on the same subnet. Not sure what the minimum speed is.. but I’m sure a LAN should support it. Remember, you can also get a OTG Micro USB power pass through connector and connect a USB Ethernet adapter to the fire stick and it’ll work using a wired connection vs relying on WiFi... even on the fire stick.

As far as performance, I use it on a fire tv box and a FireTV Stick. It works fine for what it is. It’s in my office.. which is a TV that’s not used too often. I wouldn’t use it on a tv that’s used often but it works fine. The only bottleneck is that there can only be one dish anywhere stream at a time. If your watching on a fireTV, you won’t be able to initiate another stream unless it bumps the first person off.. goes for live tv and DVR recordings. It does save 7/month, which is never a bad thing!

We've tested using our FireTVstick and DishAnwhere app several times using a Verizon cell hotspot that's limited to 3G speeds where we usually see 2-3 Mbps down and 1-1.5 Mbps up with very little buffering and a decent picture. We normally use it with our AT&T 4G/LTE cell hotspot though, where 15-25 Mbps down and 7-10 Mbps up is more typical. The Hopper we stream from though, is Internet connected via Spectrum cable at 25-30 Mbps down and 4-5 Mbps up. All of our Internet services have unlimited data, so how much data the FireTVstick uses is not a concern for us.

Reactions: pattykay
Thanks for all the great information - I'm sure many others will find it useful. I just ordered a Fire Stick so I'm joining the club.

Same here. The equivalent (?) Roku Streaming Stick costs more than twice that. I was most interested in the fact that it can stream from DishAnywhere. I bought a Zotac Zbox thinking I could do that. While the Zbox played back every HD file I could throw at it, and did so smoothly, it just could not handle that stream from my Sling Adapter. :(

I have the Firestick and am very happy with it. I feel it has enough features to reasonably replace the $7/mo joey. I use Dish Anywhere on my Android phone, Kindle and Windows computer also. The functionality of the Firestick (pause skip/fast forward and back) is better than on any of the other devices. Picture quality is at least as good. As with any Dish Anywhere devices, recordings from external drives are not available.

Love the Firestick and I have them on two different tvs that I rarely use. Saving the $14.00 a month in fees is a big savings to me. I only wish that DISH would allow more than one tuner to be used for streaming shows via the internet. I have 16 tuners on my hopper3, so I have plenty of tuners left over to accomplish that if they would allow it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I was just reading a post on another forum that referred to rain fade problems with sat TV. Another use we've made of our FireTVstick is when a major rain storm is getting close to our RV's location, we switch viewing to our FireStick with DishAnywhere streaming from our other Hopper at our upstate NY cottage. The only time that doesn't help avoid rain fade is when we're parked at the cottage sharing the same dish... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)