Amazon Fire Stick question

What is the power adapter that comes with it used for, USB or HDMI connection?

The power adapter plugs into the power cord via USB (just like the power adapter for a smartphone).. if I remember correctly, it comes with a small HDMI extender that’ll plug into the HDMI port on the TV if the port is in a weird location on the TV.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It’s a micro USB cable and charging brick, like the ones you would find for use with an Android phone
So you connect the Fire Stick to ether the USB or HDMI port on the TV. Does the TV keep it charged up? When you turn the TV off does the Fire Stick have to reboot up every time regardless of which port it is connected too?

When you turn the TV off does the Fire Stick have to reboot up every time regardless of which port it is connected too?
I think it depends on your TV, whether is passes USB power when turned off (like the Hoppers do). My Samsungs do not, so sticks reboot every time we power up. Which HDMI port does not matter

I think it depends on your TV, whether is passes USB power when turned off (like the Hoppers do). My Samsungs do not, so sticks reboot every time we power up. Which HDMI port does not matter
So the HDMI port the Fire Stick stays powered and charged up and doesn't need to reboot?

No, HDMI port does not power it, the USB port does...or the brick.
OK, thanks. I have two of them out for delivery. UPS running late. I think I will give them to my kiddos for Xmas gift. I checked the channels Fire Stick has and I get most of them with the Hopper and/or smart TV.

Finally got mine today. Bought it for Dish Anywhere use. Otherwise, I prefer the Roku stick. Fire is clunky in comparison.

If I understand correctly, I think the 1 tuner limitation is because Dish doesn’t want to give up Joey fees. 1 hopper and 3 Joeys and 1 tv anywhere is more expensive than 1 hopper and 4 tv anywhere streams. I think it’s pure economics.. not a lack of technology.

And another reason to not use the USB on the tv for power.. at least with my TVs, once the tv is shut off, the power is cut. The fireTV has to reboot every time you turn the tv on. It also prevents the fireTV from updating.
You do not understand correctly. The single stream has to do with the built in sling adapter in the Hopper. The Sling Adapter is capable of a single stream, period. Tuners do not come into the picture except that you will use one tuner to that adapter to stream. So, your conspiracy theory about what Dish wants or doesn't want as far as Joey fees is mere misinformation... ;)

And another reason to not use the USB on the tv for power.. at least with my TVs, once the tv is shut off, the power is cut. The fireTV has to reboot every time you turn the tv on. It also prevents the fireTV from updating.

This is the exact reason I prefer to have the stick use the TV for power. It isn't sitting there sucking power like a vampire and raising the noise floor to slow down my wi-fi when I am not using it. As the TV I am using it with does not supply enough power, I have it plugged into a switched outlet. I turn of the switch when I am done watching. It does not take very long to boot, and it appears to update itself just fine.

You do not understand correctly. The single stream has to do with the built in sling adapter in the Hopper. The Sling Adapter is capable of a single stream, period. Tuners do not come into the picture except that you will use one tuner to that adapter to stream. So, your conspiracy theory about what Dish wants or doesn't want as far as Joey fees is mere misinformation... ;)

Relax. Got it, Dish wants to minimize fees. Not sure if my opinion on if a company wants to maximize fees is a conspiracy theory and/or misinformation but I’ll be more civilized and say I see your point. Since the “sling” is all internal now and not a USB adapter like the hopper 1, don’t you think they could make it so it can utilize more than 1 tuner? Or is that another conspiracy theory? ;)

Relax. Got it, Dish wants to minimize fees. Not sure if my opinion on if a company wants to maximize fees is a conspiracy theory and/or misinformation but I’ll be more civilized and say I see your point. Since the “sling” is all internal now and not a USB adapter like the hopper 1, don’t you think they could make it so it can utilize more than 1 tuner? Or is that another conspiracy theory? ;)

Do we know exactly how they implemented Sling technology in the Hopper? With the retail product, it was always 1 Slingbox provided one stream. I doubt Dish wants to invest in the software development to make it a multi-stream device without some ROI (e.g. fees).

So you connect the Fire Stick to ether the USB or HDMI port on the TV. Does the TV keep it charged up? When you turn the TV off does the Fire Stick have to reboot up every time regardless of which port it is connected too?
Directions say to use the USB connector for power only, there is no usb data transfer in any way. HDMI is the port for data transfer to the TV.

Since I made the mistake of reading the directions, I have not tried to power the stick only connected via HDMI.

Do we know exactly how they implemented Sling technology in the Hopper? With the retail product, it was always 1 Slingbox provided one stream. I doubt Dish wants to invest in the software development to make it a multi-stream device without some ROI (e.g. fees).

I have no idea how they implement it in the hopper 2/3. I agree 100% that dish won’t develop to make it multi-stream. Maybe it’s not possible to do that, but I would imagine in today’s day and age, with the right development and resources it is possible. But again, they certainly aren’t incentivized to do anything that would negatively impact ARPU. Dish Anywhere is awesome.. I just wish it wasn’t crippled especially in light of the app for fireTV.

I remember when Dish came up with the virtual joey app on the Playstation 3.. They charged per month for it but I would imagine it worked similarly to Dish Anywhere. I don’t recall if multiple virtual Joeys were possible, but if they were, I wish the app on the fire stick worked like that (but without the monthly charges)

I just wish they would release an app for the Roku. I am out of HDMI ports on the TV and can't add any new devices needing an HDMI port.
--Sony HT-NT5 sound bar that has three additional ports
--Sony UHD BluRay player
--Roku Ultra
--Xbox
--PS4

Yeah, I know first world problems.

I just wish they would release an app for the Roku. I am out of HDMI ports on the TV and can't add any new devices needing an HDMI port.
--Sony HT-NT5 sound bar that has three additional ports
--Sony UHD BluRay player
--Roku Ultra
--Xbox
--PS4

Yeah, I know first world problems.

I realize you probably don't want to buy another streaming box after getting the Roku Ultra, but you could replace it with a new Fire TV box and get [most of] the same functionality plus Dish Anywhere. Also, which devices are plugged into the TV vs. the Sound Bar, and how many HMDI ports does the TV have?

I realize you probably don't want to buy another streaming box after getting the Roku Ultra, but you could replace it with a new Fire TV box and get [most of] the same functionality plus Dish Anywhere. Also, which devices are plugged into the TV vs. the Sound Bar, and how many HMDI ports does the TV have?

I try to avoid the Amazon ecosystem, just like I try to avoid the Apple ecosystem. Not fond of the lock-in and Amazon's penchant not to play well with others, hence the refusal to use the Kindle for e-books.

The HT-NT5 has the following:
X-800
Roku Ultra
PS-4

The TV has the following:
HT-NT5
XBox

Plugging into the HT-NT5 gives the best sound because I don't have to rely on ARC or Optical cable to transport the sound.

I had hoped that having an AndriodTV would limit the need for external streamers but my one must have streaming provider (NHL.TV) dropped AndroidTV as a supported device when they changed from their previous incarnation.

You could get an HDMI switch/splitter
The HT-NT5 has a 3 port HDMI switch built in, one of the reasons I chose it.

The real point is buying a new streamer because the provider's only choose to support one of the popular ones is getting out of hand.
--Apple, does it have an Amazon Prime app yet
--FireTV no Vudu or Google Play
--Roku, no Dish Anywhere app
--AndroidTV built in and has an excellent Netflix client but no NHL or Dish Anywhere app

Three of those are competing companies but damn why can't they all provide a decent client for the Roku, who is not a content provider.

The HT-NT5 has a 3 port HDMI switch built in, one of the reasons I chose it.

The real point is buying a new streamer because the provider's only choose to support one of the popular ones is getting out of hand.
--Apple, does it have an Amazon Prime app yet
--FireTV no Vudu or Google Play
--Roku, no Dish Anywhere app
--AndroidTV built in and has an excellent Netflix client but no NHL or Dish Anywhere app

Three of those are competing companies but damn why can't they all provide a decent client for the Roku, who is not a content provider.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie, my friend ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts