Amazon Fire Stick question

I have the Firestick and am very happy with it. I feel it has enough features to reasonably replace the $7/mo joey. I use Dish Anywhere...

Well, dang it all, my brand new Fire TV Stick won't work with DishAnywhere at all. I suspect my Sling Adapter has failed while I wasn't looking.

Well, dang it all, my brand new Fire TV Stick won't work with DishAnywhere at all. I suspect my Sling Adapter has failed while I wasn't looking.

I was going to verify with my W7 PC, but the new DishAnywhere Player Installer for FF crashes! Boo hiss. Hmm. Same issue with installer for IE as well.

I was going to verify with my W7 PC, but the new DishAnywhere Player Installer for FF crashes! Boo hiss. Hmm. Same issue with installer for IE as well.

Well, this is getting confusing.
  1. My Fire TV Stick gets into an endless loop (trying to reconnect) when I run the DishAnywhere app. I see no video at all: only a spinning semicircle. :crying This is why I bought the darn thing!
  2. My 32-bit W7 desktop has an old Sling Player installed and it insists I download and install the new one for both IE and FF. Neither installer works!
  3. Finally I dragged out my 64-bit W7 laptop and that works fine on the existing player. My only complaint is that most (all?) of my shows on my EHD include no program data (but nevertheless play smoothly).
I'll try the Fire TV Stick again tonight to see if something fixed itself overnight. Every other app I've tried work fine and are quite zippy.

Well, this is getting confusing.
  1. My Fire TV Stick gets into an endless loop (trying to reconnect) when I run the DishAnywhere app. I see no video at all: only a spinning semicircle. :crying This is why I bought the darn thing!
  2. My 32-bit W7 desktop has an old Sling Player installed and it insists I download and install the new one for both IE and FF. Neither installer works!
  3. Finally I dragged out my 64-bit W7 laptop and that works fine on the existing player. My only complaint is that most (all?) of my shows on my EHD include no program data (but nevertheless play smoothly).
I'll try the Fire TV Stick again tonight to see if something fixed itself overnight. Every other app I've tried work fine and are quite zippy.

This is a well known incompatibility with outdated equipment, generally stuff beginning with ViP....

:devilish

Maybe it doesn't work with an external Sling adapter? Maybe you need a Hopper? :biggrin

This is a well known incompatibility with outdated equipment, generally stuff beginning with ViP.... :devilish

Ha! Still works fine with my W7 laptop. And I can at least see programs on my EHD, which is something the Hopper apparently will never do. Oh, and the program info shows up fine on the FireTV stick; I have no idea why that part isn't working on the PC version.

I feel as though I should be able to sleuth this thing out. The Sling Adapter apparently works fine as proven by my laptop. The FireTV Stick also works fine and has a good connection to my network as shown by every other app (other than the DishAnywhere app) playing back flawlessly. So what's left? Dish malfeasance?

Last edited:
I thought that it was stated when the firestick app first was released that it would only work with the Hopper only.

I thought that it was stated when the firestick app first was released that it would only work with the Hopper only.

Of course I didn't see that. :( I thought the original Hopper 2K took a sling adapter... Would Dish make it work with that, but not with my 722?

Possibly true with a Firestick. Just because DA works with a VIP doesn't mean it translates to a Firestick. DA has issues on my computer but works great on my phone and iPad, for example

According to the Amazon Dish app it should work on a Fire Tv stick for a hopper 3, hopper with sling, 722 with sling adapter, or 622 with sling adapter.

The Alexa is limited to only work with a hopper 3 or Joey.

According to the Amazon Dish app it should work on a Fire Tv stick for a hopper 3, hopper with sling, 722 with sling adapter, or 622 with sling adapter.

The Alexa is limited to only work with a hopper 3 or Joey.

Thanks dweber. Unfortunately, we have to doubt that whole thing since the Sling Adapter has never worked on a 622. 622 owners were promised this functionality early on, but in the end Dish deemed the chipset too slow and only enabled it on the 722/k and H2K. They even went so far as to disable the bulit-in Sling hardare on the 922, why I don't know.

I think dweber was looking here:
Amazon product ASIN B00ILYCMRG
You can also watch TV from your Hopper, 722, or 722k DVR with the Sling® Adapter accessory.

You can use Dish Anywhere (the website) functionality with any of these receivers: 512, 522, 625, 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922, Hopper, Hopper with Sling, Hopper 3. Those without built-in Sling or Sling Adapter can use the On Demand features of Dish Anywhere. I think.

Bottom line is that this should work for my 722/with Sling Adapter. I have emailed the developer with report of this bug.

Last edited:
You can use Dish Anywhere (the website) functionality with any of these receivers: 512, 522, 625, 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922, Hopper, Hopper with Sling, Hopper 3. Those without built-in Sling or Sling Adapter can use the On Demand features of Dish Anywhere. I think.
Well, if you are counting the On Demand functionality, then that should work with any Dish receiver, especially considering that the first three models you listed aren't even capable of being connected to the internet at all. I seem to remember that with a Wally, for example, you can access On Demand on Dish Anywhere, but no live streaming or access to your recordings, since the Wally does not have Sling capability. I could be wrong, however.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, if you are counting the On Demand functionality, then that should work with any Dish receiver, especially considering that the first three models you listed aren't even capable of being connected to the internet at all.

I believe you are right. I had a 625 (my first duo receiver) and it had no Ethernet port or that crufty network over power stuff that the VIP receivers had. VIP = Video over IP IIRC. Those SD receivers were not VIP receivers. Same with the little-known 411.

Reactions: pattykay
Been working in Kirksville, MO all week, using my Firestick n the hotel. Everything works great.....except DA. DVR plays relatively fine with a few random pauses to spool. Live TV is unwatchable in any resolution. Plays. Few seconds and spools. I’m sure the Super 8 WiFi isn’t the best but Amazon, etc work fine

Reactions: charlesrshell
Been working in Kirksville, MO all week, using my Firestick n the hotel. Everything works great.....except DA. DVR plays relatively fine with a few random pauses to spool. Live TV is unwatchable in any resolution. Plays. Few seconds and spools. I’m sure the Super 8 WiFi isn’t the best but Amazon, etc work fine

How is the Internet connection at the Hopper end?

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)