Amazon is now selling Comcast phone, internet, and TV service

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/21/11277272/comcast-amazon-partner-to-sell-internet-tv-phone-service

Share on Facebook Tweet Share (25) Pin
It already feels like you can buy everything on Amazon, but today Amazon began selling something unexpected: phone, internet, and TV service from Comcast. Amazon has set up sales pages for various Comcast service bundles — they're just like the standard Amazon product pages, but instead of checking out, you set up a time to get the service installed.

It's not totally clear why you'd want to buy Comcast service through Amazon, rather than through Comcast itself. Amazon does offer some perks, including gift cards with certain signups, the option to buy (rather than lease) a modem, and its own customer service line — which, considering Comcast's reputation, might be its biggest selling point. Amazon has set up a page called the Amazon Cable Hub that tries to explain these benefits. The hub also suggests that other internet providers could be added in the future, so Amazon may eventually be a place you can go to compare different service options in your area.

For Comcast, the benefit of this partnership seems to be simple: it gets its service in front of more customers; in particular, customers who probably skew somewhat younger and more internet savvy. Though terms of the partnership haven't been disclosed, speculation is that Amazon profits whenever it signs up a new customer for Comcast.

The interesting thing for me is that Amazon says they are offering the Internet Plus package (25 Mbps internet, "30+ channels" (probably Limited Basic), HBO) for $39.99 and it says "Includes: HD/DVR service charges (up to $20/month value), if applicable" and further down the page under the TV set icon it says "Package Includes: HD Service (up to $10 value)".
It does say even further down the page that X1 isn't included.
So I wonder if the next time I call Comcast to complain about their high prices, if I can get them to give me a non-X1 HD DVR at no charge, since Amazon's offer includes it at the same price.

Reading more closely, it also says "Excludes: Equipment leasing" - however, the way Comcast has set their prices, it would seem that the "service charge" for an HD/DVR also includes the "leasing" of that HD/DVR. I would like them to explain what the difference is.

it looks confusing...here is why
so the Internet Plus they have on Amazon says 59.95 for a year with Limited Basic TV. But then below shows specialty channels Spike and Discovery. So it almost sounds like they are giving you "digital economy" which is lifeline and a smattering (12-15) of extra channels. But Spike (at least here in Mpls) was moved to digital preferred in January and isnt in economy anymore

If I go to the Comcast site and look at same thing its 49.95 for a year with Limited Basic (lifeline). HD is $10 extra (for the box)

I went into a web chat with Amazon, and the guy in the chat said he called Comcast to find this out for me.

Only when ordered on Amazon, Comcast has created a special package where "The first box is included and it is a X1 box. After the first box there is an additional fee per box."
I specifically asked about the Internet Plus 25 (TV: 30+ Channels, HD, HBO | Internet: 25 Mbps) package which sells for $39.99/mo for 12 months. The chat confirmed that there is no additional HD fee, no HD/DVR fee, and no fee for that first X1 box.

So I'm debating printing my web chat transcript, taking it to a Comcast store, and seeing if I can talk them into matching this deal.

Or I guess I could cancel and re-order on Amazon.

Interesting how the pricing is so dramatically different depending on location

that same package here in Minneapolis is 59.99 for 12 months and it says "NO" under X1

Interesting how the pricing is so dramatically different depending on location

that same package here in Minneapolis is 59.99 for 12 months and it says "NO" under X1

I don't know your area, but it could come down to lack of competition.

I have a great deal, but I know if we did not have Uverse as a option that deal would not be so great.

I don't know your area, but it could come down to lack of competition.
Centurylink is building out Prism in the Mpls area but hasn't hit the burbs yet

So it looks like $10 more for a smattering of channels (if they are giving you digital economy) and they include the HD DVR (but not X1)

edit: typed in 55402 which is Minneapolis proper (and has Prism there) and same pricing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)