AMC 14 Satellite Launch Failure - What now for Dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Here's my suggestion for dish, move all the international channels to 118.7, it's good and working sat.

That should give some space to dish to add national HD both on 61.5 and 148, serve east with 61.5 and west with 148, see how easy it is. :)

Yeah then you have to coordinate the repoints, hardware install, etc. to do this. It also makes for a problem when it comes to a 'single dish solution' with LIL.

I can't imagine there's that many MPEG2 only customers anymore on HD. I agree he should just bite the bullet and convert the rest, regardless of how he fixes this situation.

It's a little different when you get into repoints and multiple dishes though.

A conversion would require nothing more than sending receivers to customers. No repoint required.. Yes a few would require some in house help.. But most could swap out on their own.

Not sure when the next Dish launch is scheduled. But I bet they could get everyone converted by the time it launches. For the life of me, I can't understand why Charlie is still installing Mpeg 2 equipment.

is dish network mpeg 2or 4. Iam getting dish installed tomorrow morning and this troubles me. Should I cancel and keep my comcast?

Depends on what receivers you are getting installed.. All HD Receivers are Mpeg 4. SD receivers are all still Mpeg 2. And No I wouldn't cancel.. Dish will get it all under control

is dish network mpeg 2or 4. Iam getting dish installed tomorrow morning and this troubles me. Should I cancel and keep my comcast?

They're MPEG2 for SD and MPEG4 for most of their HD. There's more to TV service than just the compression used. If you're happy with Comcast in the first place, I don't know why you're switching.

As it goes, I'd rather use rabbit ears than be a Comcast customer.

If you signed a two yr commitment you may want to re-think how important HD is to you. Without this SAT I don't see DISH able to deliver a competitive HD product for a few years.

It is both. Depending on the receiver, you may get MPEG 2 or 4 (if it is a VIP Receiver, it is MPEG 4). As for canceling, all this may do is delay new launches of channels. However, Dish has remained very silent recently about their plans, so there is no telling what Dish may have up their sleeve in the event of this situation.

My take on canceling is that you can listen to all the "Chicken Littles" (Reference: The Sky is Falling) or you can hold tight to the belief (which I will be doing) that after a short delay in new channel offerings (in the Grand Scheme of life) that all providers will be similar in the future. If it were me, I would continue with the install.

Geoff

I personally wouldn't count Charlie out for years. This might set him back a little, But I have faith that he will pull that rabbit out of his hat and surprise us. Just may not be on the timetable that we had hoped for

I'm glad my contract is almost over for dish network. I would definatly not be signing up for dish network hd at this time especially with the 2 year contract associated with it. :eek:

It is both. Depending on the receiver, you may get MPEG 2 or 4 (if it is a VIP Receiver, it is MPEG 4). As for canceling, all this may do is delay new launches of channels. However, Dish has remained very silent recently about their plans, so there is no telling what Dish may have up their sleeve in the event of this situation.

My take on canceling is that you can listen to all the "Chicken Littles" (Reference: The Sky is Falling) or you can hold tight to the belief (which I will be doing) that after a short delay in new channel offerings (in the Grand Scheme of life) that all providers will be similar in the future. If it were me, I would continue with the install.

Geoff

I'm just saying there is a big difference between those of us in the middle or near the end of our commitments sitting tight to see what will happen and someone literally about to agree to a 2 year deal without knowing that DISH is able to deliver a single additional channel. Now would I expect DISH to respond to this situation with a back-up plan? Yes, but would I want to bet 2 years in a contract on that.. heck no.

Where does Dish have room for more hd channels right now? If they would have this space why havn't new hd channels been launched already. They are already getting trounced by directv on the hd front. This is horrible about their satellite. Competition is always a good thing.

Where does Dish have room for more hd channels right now? If they would have this space why havn't new hd channels been launched already. They are already getting trounced by directv on the hd front.

Don't forget DirecTV was trounced by Dish Network for several years. It's only a matter of which place in time we're going to look at.

Dish Network has some room to put some channels in. However, I'm sure their mid and end-of-year plans were riding on this satellite going up properly too.

Once they fill the slots they do have with channels, they're going to really tick someone off if they take them away. So the question is 'what makes the most customers happy?'. Damned if I know.

Yea i know. Dish was the leader in hd the beginning of last year. That's why i went with Dish hd after i got my hd set last january. ;) Maybe Dish and Directv will merge together sometime in the future. I know their's been talks of buyouts and such.

Yea i know. Dish was the leader in hd the beginning of last year. That's why i went with Dish hd after i got my hd set last january. ;) Maybe Dish and Directv will merge together sometime in the future. I know their's been talks of buyouts and such.

They said no last time around because the rural customers would only have a choice of the merged company or rabbit ears. It would make a virtual monopoly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts