AMC 21 12180v Strenght.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Folks, anyone getting a good reception w/ 12180v? Best I can do is 20%. Some other trans are coming in at 70%.

Cheers, K

Plenty of signal here on 1.2m with }{2 :D

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I chased this issue around about a month ago using a 90cm dish. I hadn't read about any problems and took some time to peak the dish and even swapped the LNBF thinking it was drifting due to temperature changes. Since then, I have observed 12180V vary between unwatchable and freezing around 20-30Q on my microHD to 74Q and perfect. Other TPs seem to be more stable on AMC21. I keep hoping to score a used 1.2m commercial dish for this sat.

I chased this issue around about a month ago using a 90cm dish. even swapped the LNBF thinking.
My 76cm started having trouble about then, was fine up to that point. I know that sounds unbelievable, but this particular dish has out preformed every other one of the same kind I've tried, even the 90cm I've setup. swapped lnbf, pulled motor out of line, swapped cable, did normal checking to see if alignment was right, didn't matter. Only thing I haven't swapped was the dvb-s2 card. PBS montana locks most of the time, but 12180 is just below s/n required to lock. I remember trying to explain to my wife why there would be pixelation at local noon on about the 20th of June (I'm at 125W, 50N), so it was working then. If it's not my card then something changed shortly after.

I have been experiencing this same trouble with 12180V on 125W AMC21

Usually less than 20 quality, and will not lock. Occasionally above 50 and can watch. Some other PBS transponders on AMC21 seem weaker than they used to be, but are still mostly watchable with 90cm dish. Some non-PBS transponders on this same satellite are steady 70+ Q for me.

12180 is the AMC21 125W transponder with three HD PBS channels. Ouch.

90cm dish, Openbox S10, JSC321 LNBF

Am fine tuning the dish (easier done on a tripod w/ a TV in the garage than going up and down a ladder). 12180 is now at 70%+, however, by adjusting it, I gave up Cozi on 103 (other NBCs do come in at 65% with skew at 0).

Am definetely seeing channels Ive never seen before.

Before the dish goes back up, am going to try 15w to 58w.

Cheers, K

I have never had a problem with AMC 21 until 5 weeks ago. The signal is erratic on several transponders. I see the same problem on multiple STB's.

Norman

I am so glad to see this problem posted here, as I am seeing the same problem at my mom's house. I set up an old Starchoice 75cm eliptical dish and a MicroHD for my mom a few months ago and peaked it at AMC21. Signal was pretty good at the time, though I don't remember the numbers. Recently, her reception had dropped though she didn't say which on channels, just that PBS was breaking up, so I went there last week to peak it. Not much luck using my Superbuddy S2 to peak, it was about as good as it was going to get - about 9.8db. I was wondering what had changed...
I am probably going to mount a Geosatpro SL1PLL on the dish and see how it does to stabilize the signal, though a larger dish with a PLL LNB is probably a more complete solution.

Excellent test case

I set up an old Starchoice 75cm eliptical dish and a MicroHD for my mom
what lnb/lnbf?
Are you using the feedhorn that matches your elliptical dish?

I am probably going to mount a Geosatpro SL1PLL on the dish and see how it does to stabilize the signal,
That round feed won't match your dish, but if you are already using a round feed LNBF, it'll still be an interesting test. :up

Edit: are you skewing the dish? Or just your LNBF?
?

Yeah, it is the Shaw ku quad for the standard Starchoice/Shaw 75e. I already mounted a SL1PLL on one of my junker 75e dishes from the pile just today and it works well. That's what makes the timing of this post to be interesting and I haven't wasted any time fixing something that wasn't broken but got motivated to try a PLL LNB on it. A 75cm eliptical is a bit small anyway for FTA in a high annual rainfall area, so I'll probably aim to replace it with a 90cm with the PLL LNB. In the mean time, AMC21 tp24 could also 'fix' itself and I'll keep playing with the test dish to see.

Let me elaborate...

Dish is typically installed on top of the shed. When an adjustement is needed, its a pain in the ass to climb up the ladder, pray I dont fall through the roof, make an adjustment, then go check the signal inside.
So I bought a tripod (25$), took the dish down and installed in on the tripod in the driveway. As I adjust, I can see the signal via the TV in the garage.

IE- Close the garage door, have a seat and drink a few while am blind scanning the arc.

The experience has paid off. During testing, I successfully got 103W (which I was never able to in 1.5 years, but took 5 minutes w/ the new SP1PLL lnb), 15w, 30w, 113w, 116w and 125w.

All the trial and error, I had the motor elevation off by 9 degrees since day 1.

Cheers, K

As requested...

IMG-20130723-00650.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)