AMC 21 is a true fta option

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anyone know of a schedule for the HD PBS channel up there? ALl I ever see is a test pattern color bars with the bouncing white box. :\

Does anyone know of a schedule for the HD PBS channel up there? ALl I ever see is a test pattern color bars with the bouncing white box. :\

Really? On 12140V? I see content everytime I lock onto it. It's a mux so make sure you're checking on of the subchannels. There's PBS East and West and it's the national feed, so you'll see on the what you'd see on your local PBS OTA...or at least in my case.

Here in Ohio, the situation is similar to Minnesota, with several entities operating PBS stations..
Including:

WVIZ-25 Cleveland-Run by a board, not a University
WNEO-45 Alliance/WEAO-49 Akron Operated By Akron Univ., Kent State and Youngstown State (simulcast)
WOSU-34 Columbus/WPBO-42 Portsmouth-Ohio State University (Simulcast)
WOUB-20 Athens/WOUC-44 Cambridge-Ohio University (Simulcast)
WPTD 16 Dayton/WPTO 14 Oxford-Greater Dayton Public TV (originally operated by Miami U., Wright State and Central State) Now Public Media Connect

WCET-48 Cincinnati-First Public TV station in the US-Now part of Public Media Connect(WPTD/WPTO)-Different programming on 14, 16 and 48..

WGTE-30 Toledo-Greater Toledo Public Television
WBGU-27 Bowling Green-Bowling Green State University

I wish you didnt have to run through hoops to get the audio on some of the FTA channels..I would also love to have some CBC/CTV options..

The test pattern you are describing is used on the SD feed channels when they are not in use.

That test pattern is seen on the HD channels on 12180V and 12150H. I once found a rather complicated Word file on the web from which you can figure out when shows would appear on one of those two channels. I can't remember if it is for the 12180 HD or the 12150, but I think it was 12180.

Try American Public Television for info on the APT programs, then download
http://aptonline.org/aptweb.nsf/vPrograms/Index-APT+HD+Programming/$FILE/APT_HD_October09.doc

which is a word document showing when different programs are aired.
That 12180 HD channel has some very good content, often pre-feeds of upcoming specials, etc.

I hope they don't password protect this web page, but I think I posted this link once before, and it's still there, so hopefully not.

Last edited:
Here in Ohio, the situation is similar to Minnesota, with several entities operating PBS stations..
Including:

WVIZ-25 Cleveland-Run by a board, not a University
WNEO-45 Alliance/WEAO-49 Akron Operated By Akron Univ., Kent State and Youngstown State (simulcast)
WOSU-34 Columbus/WPBO-42 Portsmouth-Ohio State University (Simulcast)
WOUB-20 Athens/WOUC-44 Cambridge-Ohio University (Simulcast)
WPTD 16 Dayton/WPTO 14 Oxford-Greater Dayton Public TV (originally operated by Miami U., Wright State and Central State) Now Public Media Connect

WCET-48 Cincinnati-First Public TV station in the US-Now part of Public Media Connect(WPTD/WPTO)-Different programming on 14, 16 and 48..

WGTE-30 Toledo-Greater Toledo Public Television
WBGU-27 Bowling Green-Bowling Green State University

I wish you didnt have to run through hoops to get the audio on some of the FTA channels..I would also love to have some CBC/CTV options..

That's interesting, Tim. After seeing the list, I wondered how many channels people can get OTA..?

There are two independent PBS entities in my state, about a hundred miles apart. Each one has a number of translators. My OTA can see two transmitters that include:

(1)
PBS HD
V-me
Create

(2)
PBS HD - Same as in (1)
PBS Kids
World

Now that the Digital transition happened on the US, every one seeing OTA probably gets those channels, right?

Now that the Digital transition happened on the US, every one seeing OTA probably gets those channels, right?

no. Here in Minneapolis its set up as such

2-1 TPT HD (all programs in HD or SD with bars)
2-2 TPT MN Channel (programs from various PBS stations in MN, WI, ND, SD)..all PBS stations in MN and a couple in ND have this station
2-3 TPT Life (kinda like Create but some different programs..they dropped the national feed due to "inferior picture")
2-4 TPT WX (24/7 aeronautical weather)

The positive thing is we have 2 PBS stations in Mpls so when the digital transition took place the above channels are actually split up between 2 digital channels. 2-1 & 2-2 are the original channel 2 station (DT34) and 2-3 & 2-4 is the secondary station (which was analog 17)

Whats weird is each of the PBS stations in MN have different things
-Duluth PBS has a 2nd chance channel (for replays), Create & MN Channel
-Austin, MN has MHZ Worldview, Create & MN
-Pioneer has Create, MN and a SD simulcast
-Lakeland PBS has 6 (SIX!!) channels, HD, SD, Kids, Create, MN and PLus which has reruns of programs

edit: found the news article about Mpls PBS dropping Create
"TPT Life will be similar to the national Create channel, which TPT says it is dropping, in part, due to poor picture and sound quality."

I didnt know the national feed had poor picture & sound quality?

edit: found the news article about Mpls PBS dropping Create
"TPT Life will be similar to the national Create channel, which TPT says it is dropping, in part, due to poor picture and sound quality."
I didnt know the national feed had poor picture & sound quality?

Uh, didn't someone's momma teach them something about not lying?

The real reason was so they could combine Create, Kids & what was the 2nd PBS station (KTCI) all together. The analog station use to be weather until 5:00 then programming until midnight then back to weather

on weekends TPTLife shows cartoons, during the day its Create programs at at night its what use to be on the old analog channel like Lawrence Welk & Austin City Limits

On cable here (Time Warner) I get Channel 25 Cleveland and Channel 49 Akron PBS signals..The signals overlap some areas in NE Ohio..

25 carries-Regular PBS
PBS World
Create
The Ohio Channel (State Government and various City Club meetings, etc)
Audio Reading service for the blind..

49 has Regular PBS,
Fusion (Ohio Channel combined with Classic Arts overnights, locally produced specials and Britcoms)

MHz Worldview
V-Me (Spanish-Recently added)

There are two PBS affiliates in New Orleans. One is WYES-TV, and the other is WLAE-TV. WLAE is owned and operated by the Catholic Church, interestingly enough. Unfortunately, WYES switched to a 720p HD signal for some reason, so WLAE is the only 1080i PBS available here OTA. So even with two local PBS affiliates, I am glad to have AMC-21 and a fixed dish dedicated to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.