AMC 4 Setup - Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
You would have to move it

I know sometimes I can get G11 and T6 (91 & 93) at the same time...of course, the quality is crap on both. Since the satellites are lowered power, you need to be aimed directly at it to work the best

I was wondering if you guys think there's a chance of my LNB being screwed. Cause once again I tried and the only thing i can get is Level but no quality. I've done dish 500 before and dtv before. And I can't imagine that it's that much harder. Or maybe it's my channel list or something.. What you guys think??

I have come across very few bad LNB out of the box, it does happen but most of the time there is nothing wrong with them and the problem is just something not set right or the dish not pointed at a satellite. Ku band installation is a little bit harder to install than DirecTV/Dish, the satellites are much weaker hence the bigger dish, very small movements of the dish are needed to find a signal, I would also let the receiver do a scan now and then to see what you get.

It will work, its a universal LNBF, its a good idea to have one or two LNBF anyway!

Satellite Size

Hey Guys,

Got my new Universal LNB in.. And i'm going to try getting working... I was just measuring my dish and noticed that it was 33" high and 30" wide.. Would that make a difference?? and would i have to angle the dish differently??

Thanks

Slimm

Picture

Okay I have attached the picture of my sat.. Since i have not locked in a signal it's just sitting on the roof with the bolts loose..

slimm

Attachments

• P1000442.jpg
    P1000442.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 257
Does it usually sit at a skew like that or is that because the bolts are loose? The mast you have it on really needs to be as straight as possible especially if you may think you'll add a motor at a later stage. If you only want to hit one satellite then skew is important but skewing the LNB would be a better idea.
Another thing I noticed is that the dish seems to be aiming a bit low. I know you're up north but if you're trying to hit T5 I imagine you'd need to aim a little higher.

If I were you, I'd find your true south bird, set your dish as straight as you can, set the elevation and see if you get a signal off that.

Is that pole plumb?

It has to be or you'll have as much hair as Homer Simpson trying to get it to work.

T5 is a bear sometimes...You might want to try G3 next door. The Chinese channels are alot stronger than T5 is. Then you know you're in the ballpark and T5 would be easier to get

Dishes

Hey guys... I hate this damn 30"...LOL

Just wondering I have a old Cband dish in my back yard probably 10ft wide.. If i put my universal lnb on it .. you think it will work??

Setup

this is my setup right now

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 261
Screen Shot

This Is a picture of my TV.. But I did not have the sat hooked up..usually signal level is 85

Attachments

• Screen Shot.jpg
    Screen Shot.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 248
Signal does not mean much you are looking for quality, you may have to enter the coordinates of a live channel rather than a transponder scan.

Blame

Hey guys and I'm running out of things to blame...

This is gotta be the dumbest question I've ever asked , is there a possibilty it could be my actual plate? I've even tried pointing it to 119 - 110 and i got no sign of quality..

hahaha.. I never had any problems with the 18"..hahaha

I can't say I have much experience BUT lets start with some basics that I can now get.

To get a transponder on a give satellite you need.

#1 To have the dish pointed at that satellite. Use a compass and sat list to ensure.
#2 Have the correct LNB. Standard/Univ/DTV & Dish. KU or C
#3 LNB skew(twist) set.
#4 LO freq set
#5 Freq set
#6 Volt/Polarity set
#7 For motorized dish or ones that point at more than one sat you need to set the dish skew (twist). The plumb pole idea for most others.

Note: Newer recievers have smart scans and setting so you don't need to set all this stuff. Just select the sat you are pointing at.

idea #1

IF you have an 18" dish and DTV/dish LNB then try to get say Dish 119.
Use the following settings http://www.lyngsat.com/echo7.html. If you have access to a Dish receiver use it to point the dish then connect to your FTA receiver. Heck you can use a friends dish if they let you.

Try the NASA chan on 213, TP 6, freq 12,297,000, SR 20,000, volt 18 or L(?), LO freq 11250

Why do this? It will tell you your receiver is working.

idea # 2
There is a Java program, http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/, that finds cords for sats. Of course you need java to run it. A printout can be obtained by using cut/paste and notepad/wordpad. This printout, along with a good compass, will insure you are on the right sat. Also check your LNB skew(twis)

Good luck!

If I am wrong or unclear on any of this stuff please correct me.
Thanks

slimmswitch said:
Hey guys and I'm running out of things to blame...

This is gotta be the dumbest question I've ever asked , is there a possibilty it could be my actual plate? I've even tried pointing it to 119 - 110 and i got no sign of quality..

hahaha.. I never had any problems with the 18"..hahaha

Those are all good preparations but I think we can simplify/clarify a couple things...
ken2400 said:
#1 To have the dish pointed at that satellite. Use a compass and sat list to ensure.
Be real sure you know not to just use the sat's longitude as the angle on your compass (or even with magnetic deviation in mind)... this will only work if you live on the north pole :) but then the sats will be too low on the horizon. :(

You must use an angle calculator to which you provide your latitude and longitude. If you already are aware of that, I apologize but I definitely have seen occasional posts that allude to such confusion.
#2 Have the correct LNB. Standard/Univ/DTV & Dish. KU or C
#3 LNB skew(twist) set.
At the initial pointing/installation stage you only need to worry about skew for non-motorized dishes.
#4 LO freq set
#5 Freq set
#6 Volt/Polarity set
#7 For motorized dish or ones that point at more than one sat you need to set the dish skew (twist). The plumb pole idea for most others.
Actually the motor tilts the dish to the proper skew anyways, so for motorized installations, leave the LNB vertical (output connection facing straight down).

Also, "the plumb pole idea" applies to everyone, everywhere, motor or not! ;)
Note: Newer recievers have smart scans and setting so you don't need to set all this stuff. Just select the sat you are pointing at.
Really you should first concentrate on one transponder that is know to be on at the time of installation. That way you can have your receiver pre-tuned to that frequency (in your setup menu, not as in tuned to a channel) then you point the dish based on receiving a signal from that one transponder. Once you get signal (quality meter, not strength meter!) then you should do a scan and enjoy. :)
idea #1

IF you have an 18" dish and DTV/dish LNB then try to get say Dish 119.
Use the following settings http://www.lyngsat.com/echo7.html. If you have access to a Dish receiver use it to point the dish then connect to your FTA receiver. Heck you can use a friends dish if they let you.

Try the NASA chan on 213, TP 6, freq 12,297,000, SR 20,000, volt 18 or L(?), LO freq 11250
"L" is left-hand circular polarization, "R" is right-hand.
Why do this? It will tell you your receiver is working.

idea # 2
There is a Java program, http://www.arachnoid.com/satfinder/, that finds cords for sats. Of course you need java to run it. A printout can be obtained by using cut/paste and notepad/wordpad. This printout, along with a good compass, will insure you are on the right sat. Also check your LNB skew(twis)

Good luck!

If I am wrong or unclear on any of this stuff please correct me.
Thanks
That's a good applet, I hadn't seen that before. I was just going to Satellite Azimuth And Elevation Position Calcluator where you figure each sat out one-by-one. Also the applet above will apparently show you both azimuths, the true and magnetic which is very helpful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)