AMC 9 ? for anyone in NFLD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bevshadow

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Newfoundland
Was wondering if anyone has found 83 sat in NFLD yet and what size dish you are using, checked the RTV site and it says for US, so was wondering if anyone has hit it, I have a 1.2 meter dish few fta receivers,few linear lnb's, tried all the active tp's listed around the net and no luck no trouble for sats on each side but can't find 83, looking for ku info only not C.
any info would be good, Thanks

Was wondering if anyone has found 83 sat in NFLD yet and what size dish you are using, checked the RTV site and it says for US, so was wondering if anyone has hit it, I have a 1.2 meter dish few fta receivers,few linear lnb's, tried all the active tp's listed around the net and no luck no trouble for sats on each side but can't find 83, looking for ku info only not C.
any info would be good, Thanks
im in corner brook on the west coast of nfld and having same issues . cant see why we cant get ? unless ours dishes aint big enough? seems to that bells nimic 82 my be the problem? it has a strong signal .i was wondering if this was a issue? :(

Last edited:
I have a weak but reliable signal in southern Nova Scotia with a one meter dish, couldn't get RTN for the longest time but noticed it coming OK about a week ago

Right next to Kejimkujik national park, we don't have your mountains but lots of lakes.
im not fimmilar with that area .what city is close or near you that would give me a good idea of where you are located?i googled it i found where itis http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/learningresources/lesson_plans/middle_school/ns_national_park.gif&imgrefurl=http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/learningresources/lesson_plans/middle_school/ns_national_park.gif/image_view&h=591&w=395&sz=14&tbnid=a8IEFrZG-c0hXM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3DKejimkujik%2Bnational%2Bpark&hl=en&usg=__wbH1wUdHYEzX2b60t30iYvb7orc=&ei=eLkrSr_4OZrCMrXBkeAJ&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=5&ct=imageis.
i dont think a 1 meter dish might get it here.yes we do have mountains ,some still have snow on them. they look beautiful .

Last edited:
What are the chances of you scoring a bigger dish there in Newfoundland? May I assume big dishes for the asking are kind of scarce? Really would like to see you get this signal, seeing how you're our easternmost representatives (as far as I know).

Say, when are you Newfoundlanders going to post some pictures of your dish farms?

im not fimmilar with that area .what city is close or near you that would give me a good idea of where you are located?i googled it i found where itis Google Image Result for http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/learningresources/lesson_plans/middle_school/ns_national_park.gif.
i dont think a 1 meter dish might get it here.yes we do have mountains ,some still have snow on them. they look beautiful .

The nearest town is Caledonia about 20 km away, my GPS tells me my position is N44.465 W065.154

We seem to be on the fringe of a lot of satellites here on the east coast, I expect your right you would need something bigger than 1 meter in Newfoundland, there is many times I wished I had something a little bigger.

Signal strengh readings vary wildly with different equipment but to give you some idea here are a few readings from my twinhan software.

S33 and Q33 are about my minimum threshold with Q being the most important.

83W AMC9 RTN S61 Q37

82W Nimiq4 vuHD S63 Q65 this is just about the max I ever get and this is a really strong satellite.

97West Al Jareera English S45 Q49

125W AMC21 PBS Montana S43 Q41

Its a nice clear evening and these signals are a bit above normal.

The readings from AMC9 are a bit odd either S is high or Q is low! My guess is that the strong signal from Nimiq4 is producing a few strange results in my LNB, how LNB's handle this wide variation in signal strength vary, mine is just a $15 cheapy, such things as inter modulation products, dynamic range and adjacent channel rejection are rarely mentioned in product specifications.
Not that I could make much sense of it now, its been a long time since I sat behind a college desk!
It would be interesting to try different LNB's though, quality versus cheapy

What are the chances of you scoring a bigger dish there in Newfoundland? May I assume big dishes for the asking are kind of scarce? Really would like to see you get this signal, seeing how you're our easternmost representatives (as far as I know).

Say, when are you Newfoundlanders going to post some pictures of your dish farms?
i will as soon as i get everything streighten away . work is keeping me busy .and yes large dishes are hard to find around here. i bought a brand new 1.8 meter dish a couple years ago .i bought it brand new .there is a few c-band dishes but they are hard to come by. it cost more to ship a 1.2 meter dish here than a 1.8 or a 2.4. dish . i would love to get a large c-band dish mesh type. later.;)

Thanks for all the reply's guys, keep them coming, from what i have seen/read on the net i would need at least a 2 meter to receive the signal to be viewable on rtn/rtv, also E-mailed them but no reply yet. let you know if they do, also i live on the east cost of nfld, just about as far as you can go. Really would like to see them channels.
Thanks again

I found a 10-12 footer mesh with receiver/lnb/motor/dish for 200 in here AMC1 if ya wanted to come in and get it. Still looking for a cheaper one same guy has a 12 footer solid but wants to make a sign out of it, what a waste, but still trying to get it off him if price is right.

The nearest town is Caledonia about 20 km away, my GPS tells me my position is N44.465 W065.154

We seem to be on the fringe of a lot of satellites here on the east coast, I expect your right you would need something bigger than 1 meter in Newfoundland, there is many times I wished I had something a little bigger.

Signal strengh readings vary wildly with different equipment but to give you some idea here are a few readings from my twinhan software.

S33 and Q33 are about my minimum threshold with Q being the most important.

83W AMC9 RTN S61 Q37

82W Nimiq4 vuHD S63 Q65 this is just about the max I ever get and this is a really strong satellite.

97West Al Jareera English S45 Q49

125W AMC21 PBS Montana S43 Q41

Its a nice clear evening and these signals are a bit above normal.

The readings from AMC9 are a bit odd either S is high or Q is low! My guess is that the strong signal from Nimiq4 is producing a few strange results in my LNB, how LNB's handle this wide variation in signal strength vary, mine is just a $15 cheapy, such things as inter modulation products, dynamic range and adjacent channel rejection are rarely mentioned in product specifications.
Not that I could make much sense of it now, its been a long time since I sat behind a college desk!
It would be interesting to try different LNB's though, quality versus cheapy

Are you sure you don't have cable/switch/dish alignment issues? i can get 82 at 100% with a legacy twin on a bell dish 20"not centered on the dish since the upgrade last year, and al Jazeera at 84%-94%Q on the 1.2 meter and cheapo linear lnb 9.99 fine day and the test card channel 100% and i'am out east about as far as you can go on the Island.
thanks for your input on AMC 9 from your area, may help AMC 1 in his dish decession, i think he'll need at least a 1.2 meter according to the footprint for AMC 9 from lyngsat if its correct. Know hes not having much luck with the 90 cm either in finding it.

Are you sure you don't have cable/switch/dish alignment issues? i can get 82 at 100% with a legacy twin on a bell dish 20"not centered on the dish since the upgrade last year, and al Jazeera at 84%-94%Q on the 1.2 meter and cheapo linear lnb 9.99 fine day and the test card channel 100% and i'am out east about as far as you can go on the Island.
thanks for your input on AMC 9 from your area, may help AMC 1 in his dish decession, i think he'll need at least a 1.2 meter according to the footprint for AMC 9 from lyngsat if its correct. Know hes not having much luck with the 90 cm either in finding it.

I believe its an issue with the Twinhan software, if I go to a different driver version 82W goes to S98 Q98 the only problem with that driver is the only other signal and quality readings are 22 nothing in between.
The values of the reported readings have little value when compared to other equipment that's why I compared my readings on AMC9 to other known powerful satellites.
The quality reading (the important one) is a bit less on AMC 9 than that of PBS Montana, as a rough idea I expect if your receiver was substituted for mine and it reported a quality reading of 80 on PBS Montana it would read somewhat less, maybe around 70 on AMC 9.

Comparing quality and strength readings between different receivers can be very confusing, what I can say for sure is that it is one of the weaker signals but its several steps for the readings I get above threshold and has been quite reliable.

The are several issues with AMC9 in this part of the world, its one of the weaker birds and we need a dish of at least a meter.
I believe the biggest problem is Nimiq4, it's only 1 degree away, our sizes of dish have a wider beamwidth than that, plus it's one of the most powerful birds in the sky. Even if we are 100% perfectly aligned on AMC9 our LNBs will be seeing a very powerful signal from Nimiq4, some may have problems dealing with this, that's why I thought experimenting with different LNBs would be interesting if someone had a drawer full of LNBs and lots of time to waste.

I believe its an issue with the Twinhan software, if I go to a different driver version 82W goes to S98 Q98 the only problem with that driver is the only other signal and quality readings are 22 nothing in between.
The values of the reported readings have little value when compared to other equipment that's why I compared my readings on AMC9 to other known powerful satellites.
The quality reading (the important one) is a bit less on AMC 9 than that of PBS Montana, as a rough idea I expect if your receiver was substituted for mine and it reported a quality reading of 80 on PBS Montana it would read somewhat less, maybe around 70 on AMC 9.

Comparing quality and strength readings between different receivers can be very confusing, what I can say for sure is that it is one of the weaker signals but its several steps for the readings I get above threshold and has been quite reliable.

The are several issues with AMC9 in this part of the world, its one of the weaker birds and we need a dish of at least a meter.
I believe the biggest problem is Nimiq4, it's only 1 degree away, our sizes of dish have a wider beamwidth than that, plus it's one of the most powerful birds in the sky. Even if we are 100% perfectly aligned on AMC9 our LNBs will be seeing a very powerful signal from Nimiq4, some may have problems dealing with this, that's why I thought experimenting with different LNBs would be interesting if someone had a drawer full of LNBs and lots of time to waste.

Ya i noticed a fine drop in quality on my usb starbox also on all sats, which i blamed on the software as well i tried 2 different starchoice duel lnbs, cheapo 9.99 lnb, plus another i don't know the name of, and 30" up to 1.2 meter dishes for 83 but no luck so far, like you say 82 is very strong here the best up there for me signal/quality wise and also was wondering if that might be somehow overpowering 83, but according to iceberg it shouldn't matter due to freq. ranges in use.
Thanks again for your input

I find if i ask about a big dish here people get curious what are you using that for,then dollar signs starts flashing in their eyes, and they need to ask a friend if they can still use it type of deal, been offered a few in the last few years from family members but turn them down due to my own not knowing they could still be used, only really got into FTA about a year ago when i found out over the net what it was, my farm only has 4 dishes and not very impressive compared to that buddy with the front step full.:) Cheapest big dish i came across was 200 everything included except wire and mounting post, but i have it all except for the dish itself and wasn't looking to pay to take it away, i would pay for the 12 foot solid if i can get buddy to part with it, i may ask him if he wanted me to make him a light up sign, instead of using the dish for his sign, yes i would like to see 83 as well due to the fact that other than 97 i can't see too much english programing up there other than news/sports, was hoping when they moved them from 123 sat or 121 which ever they (RTN/RTV) were on i would be able to see them due to the fact i can't see past 116W sat from trees and hills, still trying
Thanks for your reply

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts