AMC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's highly unlikely that we'll ever get confirmation from DirecTV when their AMC contract expires. Keeping that information confidential is a competitive advantage, consider Dish customers switching for example.

In my experience, unless they promote it as an onging dispute (like Dish did recently with AMC), carriers essentially never disclose contractual status.

My thoughts, and the fact we just got AMC HD.

Overall Im more happy with Directv than Dish, so here is my solution to programming disputes and not missing the shows I really really like

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007I5JT4S/?tag=satell01-20

You people are worrying about AMC. Let’s look at the bigger picture where entertainment business itself is transforming (i.e. Apple store, Amazon store, Android eco-system, and Windows Surface store) while content providers (Dish, DTV, etc.) are all heading toward their new business model.

The fact is both DirecTV and Dish Network intend to compete in the more lucrative 4G LTE mobile markets of their own against the likes of Verizon, A&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile.

Dish invests in chips, DirecTV in Brazilian spectrum | Videonet

The capex to build these 4G networks are in the $billions (about $4B each). Neither Dish nor DTV is going to waste precious cash on a dying business like TV subscriptions and carriage fees. The future is in the mobile tablet markets where content providers (i.e. Dish, DTV, Comcast, Fios, U-verse, etc.) streaming their HD TV contents and videos across the Internet from their wholesalers. I suspect AMC and others would have to do their business with wholesalers in the future and not with content providers.

Neither Dish nor DTV is going to waste precious cash on a dying business like TV subscriptions and carriage fees.

With over 20 million existing customers, I would beg to differ. Directv certainly will spend money on carriage fees, it is their number one expense and it rises every year.

While the industry is seeing some change with people moving to streaming solutions, or using them to complement traditional TV services, it is far from dead. Directv still grows their customer base nearly every quarter and I believe they will continue to invest in traditional TV offerings.

With over 20 million existing customers, I would beg to differ. Directv certainly will spend money on carriage fees, it is their number one expense and it rises every year.

While the industry is seeing some change with people moving to streaming solutions, or using them to complement traditional TV services, it is far from dead. Directv still grows their customer base nearly every quarter and I believe they will continue to invest in traditional TV offerings.

+1 ty for explaining and I believe will get some more of Dish customers

My Own 2¢ Dish's dropping of AMC didn't read like carriage dispute .. but of the tie to the Voom legal case which may mean AMC is gone for monthys ... As such I'm paying the 60 dollars to end my contract early .. and switch ... to Directv or Comcast .. still on the fence .. though I have an install date of the 21'st for Directv.

I reached my braking point with Dish .. and had I the ability without the consequence, I'd drive a truck through one of Dish's "flower" gardens taking out as many uplink dishes as possible .. they've pissed me off *that* much and not just because of AMC.

TG2 said:
My Own 2¢ Dish's dropping of AMC didn't read like carriage dispute .. but of the tie to the Voom legal case which may mean AMC is gone for monthys ... As such I'm paying the 60 dollars to end my contract early .. and switch ... to Directv or Comcast .. still on the fence .. though I have an install date of the 21'st for Directv.

I reached my braking point with Dish .. and had I the ability without the consequence, I'd drive a truck through one of Dish's "flower" gardens taking out as many uplink dishes as possible .. they've pissed me off *that* much and not just because of AMC.

That's just brilliant thinking. So if there were no consequences to you, you'd destroy private property and disrupt a business that services millions? If you think Dish subs hate Charlie and co. for dumping AMC, imagine how much everyone would hate you for screwing up their TV service out of spite.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Look, his post was not literal, he is just po'd which is understandable. How about "disrupt" your panties and chill. Sometimes it works best to let people be irritated for a little bit.

When is the contract up? I ask because should Directv say this isn't worth it (not implicating that they will), they'd be a lot of people who jumped from Dish really losing their minds. I personally feel that Directv will keep it.

they can drop amc anytime they want as far as I am concerned. It used to be decent movie channel. now its just commercials every chance they get and basterdized and cut movies... with a bunch hair club for men commercials at late night. Just rubbish programing. Maybe we could then get BBCA HD... HOW ABOUT IT DIRECT TV.

Last edited:
TG2 said:

I feel your pain. Programming is very subjective.
When Dish pulled Voom I was livid.
Come to think of it, I still miss their programming.
If anything that would have been a time to leave.
But years later I still have dish. My family loves the equipment.
I love the equipment too but despise how they run their business.
It's just not ok to pull channels any channels people love.

I'm a long time Dish customer but with the loss of AMC and Breaking Bad starting again soon I'm looking at a switch. Is Direct offering any deals to Dish subs who want to switch because of this fiasco? I've looked but haven't found anything on my own.

I'm a long time Dish customer but with the loss of AMC and Breaking Bad starting again soon I'm looking at a switch. Is Direct offering any deals to Dish subs who want to switch because of this fiasco? I've looked but haven't found anything on my own.

Call and find out or go to Directv website and fill out new customer and they have great offers there :) Heres a link try it English Packages - DIRECTV These offers expires in 13 days it says so hurry :)

Last edited:
I just signed up last night. My install isn't until the 21st though. Dish contract ends on the 25th. I would have left even if Dish had kept AMC. I am in the NY area, and everyone knows Dish isn't very kind to sports fans in this area. The AMC deal was just the icing on the cake though. It made it very easy to sell the switch to the Wife. She is a huge Walking Dead fan, so no complaints from her.

Direct is doing their best deal of the year right now. Free Sunday ticket, and lots of discounts. Get a referral and save an extra $100. $10 off a month for 10 months. I figure that covers the $99 cost of the HR34.

Well my experience was pretty much what I expected. Bait & Switch ... sales lies..
After all is said & done I've gotten the deal I figured was real.

On the phone and in 4 follow up phone calls, I was told 66.99 for the first 12 months, then 109 for the second 12, inclusive of fees .. and what it really was, was 66.99 for the first 3 months, 101 for months 4 through 12, and looks like it will be 121 for 13 through 24 if I keep Premier (the top package).

I've a tentative install on the 21st also, which I may move up.. just wish I didn't have to deal with stupid sales people that either don't know what they are doing, or intentionally lie, and when the paperwork doesn't back it up, lie even more.

and I was also charged 99 for the HR34 ... even though that is what the first through 4th phone calls told me I was getting for free .. they didn't say the receiver model, but said it was the one that did 5 recordings at once.

In the end I also hooked one of my office mates for his account number and did the "referral" so he gets 10 off, I get 10 off.. and that makes up for the HR34 ... crosses fingers the HR34 isn't the 922 of Directv receivers :)

I think you guys are way off that keep bringing up the HR34 vs 922.
Well I'm hoping its not (1) ... but (2) there's more than just a couple of posts like with the 922 ... where groups of people describe the same problem on their HR34's.... and others have no issue at all.. now tracking these issues down ... if you find its a real issue (like people did with 922 flaws) hopefully it will mean a series of steps gets published to help weed out if your issue is the real bug, or some fluke... and thus classify the receiver install as a fluked up :)

I was a Dish customer for 10 years, but left two years ago for DTV. I know all the Satellite and Cable companies have issues with content, but in my view Dish was worse than the others. Voom, Smithsonian, AMC, sports, etc.

Haven't looked back once.

I also have an HR34 and the initial problems I had with the receiver were installation. Direct finally sent someone out who knew what they were doing, and no problems since, though there is a noticeable delay when switching channels

I hope that Dish can hold out and refuse to budge in their dispute with AMC. There are several reasons why cable and satellite bills keep going up much faster than inflation and in spite of record profits enjoyed by many cable and satellite providers. One reason is simple corporate greed but another reason is the rising cost of content. Content providers such as the company that owns AMC keep asking more and more for their programming and somebody needs to draw the line and say "no more." So I hope that Dish's line in the sand stands. If it does then it might encourage others to play hardball with AMC as well when their contract with them comes up for renewal. AMC has already lost Dish and they could ill afford to lose Comcast or Directv or another major provider. If that prospect looms it might cause them to back off and reduce their demands.

Then of course another problem is the rising cost of programming. I'm sure that AMC pays an arm and a leg for their original scripted programming such as "Breaking Bad" and "the Walking Dead." Somehow some way we also need to find a way to force the companies who produce this programming to bring their charges down. I don't know who it is but somebody is making a bundle off from all of this but it sure isn't the poor consumer who keeps getting socked with higher and higher rates. I realize that producers claim that they lose money on producing most scripted shows and can only recoup their investment with syndication rights. Why is that? Why is it costing more and more to produce these shows? As I said, someone is making a lot of money off from this. Six million dollars or more for one hour of scripted programming? Are you kidding me? That's an outrage. I would like to know who is causing this and what can be done to stop their greed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)