AMC1/103 W: Please post your results

Status
Please reply by conversation.
West and Mountain coming in at 70% without skew adjustment. Adjusting skews does nothing for the rest of the NBC transponders.

Openbox S9 with 33” dish. The LNB, PLL321S-2, skew is at -10º. The S2 channels need a strong and solid Q to lock. Anything below Q 50 would not lock. All 25 channels receivable without changing skew.

Tested again this am. Hauled the 39" dish out of the garage (tripid, small LCD in garage).
Weather: slight rain/overcast

Mountain/West NBCs came in at 70%, Cozi fluxuated from 55 to 70% .. Dont remember NBC East but it did scan in.

Once am fairly satisfied I can get these full time, the dish goes back on top of the shed.

Cheers, K

Isn't SES 3 now in operation? As far as I know, this new satellite doesn't have an odd skew due to its new design. Am I correct that the NBC mux are now active in SES 3 instead of AMC 1?

Looks like Sunday August 24, 2014 will be replacement date. And it will have normal skew settings for those who have suffered getting a signal on motorized dish and had to use a stationary dedicated dish.

http://microspace.com/satellite-transition

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the update! The information in the article and the video from that link are incredibly informative. Very simple explanation about how and why you need to skew your LNB.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Still, we have to wait a whole year before SES-3 becomes active? Will there be any test feeds we can sample within the next year? [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for the update! The information in the article and the video from that link are incredibly informative. Very simple explanation about how and why you need to skew your LNB.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Still, we have to wait a whole year before SES-3 becomes active? Will there be any test feeds we can sample within the next year? [/FONT]

Of course they will be testing some transponders between now and launch day. But dont expect it any time this year

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Great video. Exciting to think SES3 will have a more powerful transponder AND no skew correction. I think I'll finally be able to receive the stuff on horizontal polarization on my motorized system.

Aw man, a year?!! :(

What if we don't care about getting AMC1 and just want to get the new SES-3?

Can we just use zero skew and let our motor deal with it like it does on all the other satellites?
I mean, it will be like all the rest eventually, right? Why would we want to do with that 13 degree skew if the new one is to replace the old one?

?

Dee, the pic you posted in the 4:2:2 contest thread... am suprised one of your larger off-set dishes isnt capable of getting ses1.
I can pull in an acceptable signal without altering the skew with a 1m dish.

Cheers, K

Dee, the pic you posted in the 4:2:2 contest thread... am suprised one of your larger off-set dishes isnt capable of getting ses1.
I can pull in an acceptable signal without altering the skew with a 1m dish.

Cheers, K

I get SES1 on my 10' c-band no problem at all.

Unless you mean ku. My three biggest ku dishes are doing duty for D* @110/119/129

The 1.8m is being repaired and I haven't made up my mind what to do with it yet. I may aim it at 129 since I'm paying for HD. I'll be playing musical dishes in a few weeks.

I have more dishes in storage.
I haven't tried to do the 422 stuff yet because I don't have a tuner that will play it in real time and I have been told it's mostly sports and I have no need for sports. If there is other stuff besides sports I would live to learn about it.

Posted with my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys app

I don't get why Microspace is telling their people to set the skew off by 13 degrees in the interim. Do they have any DVB-S2 transponders? I thought all of theirs were DVB-S, which comes in just fine without taking the abnormal skew into account at all! (Unless maybe you have a really high-gain dish and get interference from another transponder on the opposite polarity. But all I get are duplicated transponders sometimes, not any problem receiving the ones I'm supposed to be receiving.)

Now that I have moved the 31" dish onto the motor, I have lost all the odd skew TPs on AMC 1. It was fine when the dish was in a fixed position.

Hope this helps......
Assuming your Long Island is the New York one, your report is interesting since we are quite close yet AMC1 is 4 dB lower signal here based on satbeams footprint. For fun, I pressed my wonderful new PLL321S-2 LNB to try to receive these NBC transponders. With the corrrected skew, the best I could receive was on 11760 with a SL 48%, SQ 10% and no lock on my microHD. 11840 and 11880 were a little weaker. The corrected skew did increase the vertical transponders: beach cams peaked at SQ 63% which is very good for here. I experimented leaving the LNB skew in place as I motored across the arc, but it caused my 83W RTV/Tuff/PBJ to become unwatchable at about SQ 16~20%. So I will have to wait for SES3.

Thought it was obvious

I don't get why Microspace is telling their people to set the skew off by 13 degrees in the interim.
Do they have any DVB-S2 transponders?
I thought all of theirs were DVB-S, which comes in just fine without taking the abnormal skew into account at all!
But right now, all their customers are on Fixed dishes, which are skewed 26 degrees.
So if those people unskew by 13 (at customer convenience), their big dishes will continue to get their transponder just fine.
THEN, when the new bird goes on line in a year, those customers will be off by 13 degrees the opposite way.
And their signal will continue uninterrupted.
Then, again at customer convenience, it might be wise to dial out the new 13 degree error.
But only after the existing satellite has been moved out of orbit. :)
Microspace couldn't care less about our problems with motors.
We are not their customers. ;)
?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)