America's Got Talent Season 5

Yep, and Howie was also the only judge to vote "yes" for that mildly funny Youtube comedian...and I grew tired of him saying, "People don't know how difficult it is to perform a comedy act in 90-seconds." Heck, I don't know what's so hard about telling a half-dozen funny jokes to an audience? If a comedian can't make 'em laugh for 90-seconds how and the heck are they going to keep folks entertained for a 90-minute show?

Howis is no better or worse than Hoff.

I liked Howie more than the Hoff. Although I did get tired of him pushing his twitter account live on the show.

Cheap Bastards...

...is all I can say. You know, AGT touts the "One Million Dollar" grand prize during the entire 3 1/2 months season, but when you read the fine print it's really not that much...especially for the ratings the show receives (I can only wonder how much the sponsors are paying for the Orville Lounge) coupled with the fact some of these acts perform at least a half-dozen times. Here is what the fine print says:

"The prize, which totals $1,000,000, is payable in a financial annuity over forty years, or the contestant may choose to receive the present cash value of such annuity."

Holy crap! That works-out to $25K per year. In the year 2050 that will pretty much pay for a movie and a box of Milk-Duds. Not exactly my definition of winning a Million Dollars! Plus, what about all these acts who finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th or in the Top 10. What do they receive? Do they receive a stipend or some sort of compensation during the many months they are an integral part of the show? Heck, I'm sure all these knucklehead judges receive at a couple million for sitting on their arses and offering criticism.

AGT needs to increase the prize money which is the same as when the show first started 5-years ago when their ratings were less than half of their current ratings and the season was only 10 episodes long.

[/Rant]

The final ratings...

...were quite good (NBC finally has a hit show)

9 p.m.

NBC: "America's Got Talent Results Show" (18.2 million viewers, 7.2/12)
CBS: "Big Brother 12" (8.0 million, 4.5/7)
FOX: "MasterChef" (5.1 million, 3.0/5)
ABC: "Modern Family" rerun (4.4 million, 3.0/5), "Cougar Town" rerun (3.4 million, 2.3/4)
The CW: "Hellcats" (2.7 million, 1.6/3)

Plus, what about all these acts who finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th or in the Top 10. What do they receive? Do they receive a stipend or some sort of compensation during the many months they are an integral part of the show? Heck, I'm sure all these knucklehead judges receive at a couple million for sitting on their arses and offering criticism.
[/Rant]

The top acts get to go on tour and I am sure it is paid. Plus if they are really talented they will probably be able to land jobs somewhere doing their talent. One could view it as an unpaid internship where you try to land a job afterwards.

I would suspect that LV and LA hotels are all paid for by the show for the finalists, plus probably an allowance to cover other expenses like meals. And obviously show resources are available for the acts (backup singers/dancers/sets/etc). So, essentially free living as long as they are on the show, but not making any money... Just the hope for fame and fortune to follow.

This is probably why some acts that get voted through do not show up. They probably cannot take that much time out from their jobs. FG took the semester off, probably because they want to tour with AGT for the rest of the year.

I also saw the fine print and thought "what the heck?" They want to keep the money in the bank and just pay them the interest off the $1 million. It says that they can cash out the 40 year annuity but I am sure that would not be much. They are being tightwads considering how much the judges are probably getting paid along with all the other production costs.

I guess this is where it differs from American Idol where the winner gets a $1 million record deal. I wonder if they get paid much to do all those tours as well with AGT and AI? Surely they do not expect them to do those for free.

Ever read the lottery fine print? Large "jackpots" in Las Vegas? Monopoly at McDs? It is a standard trick to do installments. Essentially it just costs a fraction of the prize amount (although now with low interest rates is is about 55%) to buy a bunch of bonds that pay out over time.

They want the catchy $1 million dollars to talk about.

We all understand how the lottery works, but how many of us thought the winner would be paid through an annuity over 40-years? Since the total payout is 1M, I doubt this is costing AGT much more than 150K. Just give the winner a million bucks less taxes. Heck, I have no doubt that Orville Reddenbacher paid NBC more than 1 million to show contestants eating their popcorn. I just hope the top four acts are being paid at least 250K and the other top ten finalists 150K for the upcoming 25 city tour. Of course (as Prince Poppycock woudl say), I doubt they will make anything close to what Jerry Springer is being paid to MC the event. NBC is making money hand-over-fist on this deal...just hope the talent is able to cash-in on this deal as well.

...is all I can say. You know, AGT touts the "One Million Dollar" grand prize during the entire 3 1/2 months season, but when you read the fine print it's really not that much...especially for the ratings the show receives (I can only wonder how much the sponsors are paying for the Orville Lounge) coupled with the fact some of these acts perform at least a half-dozen times. Here is what the fine print says:

"The prize, which totals $1,000,000, is payable in a financial annuity over forty years, or the contestant may choose to receive the present cash value of such annuity."

Holy crap! That works-out to $25K per year. In the year 2050 that will pretty much pay for a movie and a box of Milk-Duds. Not exactly my definition of winning a Million Dollars! Plus, what about all these acts who finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th or in the Top 10. What do they receive? Do they receive a stipend or some sort of compensation during the many months they are an integral part of the show? Heck, I'm sure all these knucklehead judges receive at a couple million for sitting on their arses and offering criticism.

AGT needs to increase the prize money which is the same as when the show first started 5-years ago when their ratings were less than half of their current ratings and the season was only 10 episodes long.

[/Rant]
They know the pay ahead of time, and they do not have to participate. They CHOOSE to engage in this legal contract on their own will. I have no sympathy for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)