Amiko A3 - FTA 7 Day EPG Now Available for North America

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Fridge FTA is owned by T134. He started and OWNS Amiko America!
Definitely. I am still scratching my head trying to figure out why he is undercutting his resellers.

Starting in the 90's when I had retail distribution of my software (at the time named 'Scene Generator' and 'Scenery Animator') for Mac and Amiga, I supported my distributors and resellers through advertising in print media. I never undercut them in price, because it would have been like shooting myself in the foot. If I had done that then they would have had no reason to distribute my software and I would lose a lot of market exposure.

Fridge FTA is owned by T134. He started and OWNS Amiko America!

That's what I'd thought, but Martyn had asked about the unit he has advertised for $129 and Brian had talked about buying from international sellers and no one really clearly answered Martyn's question as to whether or not the $129 unit would accept future US software, confused me! :confused:

But, looking back, I guess Ke4est did answer it pretty clearly, saying a A3 is a A3 is a A3...! :D

The hardware is the same, but different roms(software). T134 has suspended his fridge store sales of regular A3 while this sale is on. Not sure, but personally believe unit would have to be sent back to Joe to make it a regular A3

To remove all confusion, if the A3 comes from the Amiko Americas stock and sold by an authorized Amiko Americas reseller (see the authorized reseller list posted on the Amiko Americas website), then it will provide North American EPG.

If the A3 is not Amiko Americas stock or purchased from their authorized reseller, it will not be authorized for North American features. It is my understanding that A3s purchased from non-authorized Amiko America resellers will not be authorized for the NA server and will remain as a standard international A3.

Unfortunately for Amiko America resellers, at this time the special red sale price is only available through FridgeFTA. A few of you called and asked if we could match their price on a black case unit. We would love to, but we would be seriously flipped and losing money if we matched. Sorry!

Reactions: . Raine and mc6809e
I'm still a little worried that a "custom ROM" will be able to accept software updates meant for receivers running a different version of the software. I tried to email T134 but he doesn't accept private messages. I hope he'll jump in here and clarify otherwise I just might buy one at regular price to be sure.

One more question - does the A3 overwrite changes I make to channel names or can I lock them? The one thing -- really, just this one thing -- that drives me nuts about the MicroHD is that I lose all the custom channel names (eg: Fox Caribbean instead of Ch-3) when I do a blind scan.

Sorry, don't know the answer to the "RED" custom ROM. Imagine that it would accept updates, but best to get the information directly from Amiko Americas.

The A3 retains custom channel naming after scans.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Michael asked me to drop by and clear some stuff up....

First, Amiko Americas is the sole authorized distributor for Amiko in North America. Any Amiko product purchased from anyone but an Amiko Americas Authorized Retailer in North America carries ZERO warranty, gets ZERO support, has no North American satellite list, features, Apps or much of anything else. If you really want to buy something from a Europe dealer pick well, because all support and any warranty would be from that individual dealer, not us or Amiko. They also aren't cheaper to buy from a Europe dealer so you aren't saving anything.

Second, the "Jenny A3 Irish Red Specials" in my retail store are a special purchase. I won't get into the confidential fine details. Basically Jen (who more or less runs the retail business end) purchased the Red's from me up front. She got the same terms that any Amiko Americas Retailer would get. They will most likely be available under similar terms to any Authorized Retailer in under a month minus the custom ROM, userdata package and custom XBMC build that Jen mostly did herself.

Third, no one including my own retail store can match the "Irish Red" pricing with a black A3. As I mentioned the Reds were a special purchase. The cost on the black units is higher. If I was offering A3 Black right now in my retail store they would be $179 + shipping. I can't put the Irish Red custom ROM, data package or the Irish Red XBMC on a black unit either.

Fourth, the custom 2.0.70 ROM on those units is Americanized with the same 8W-139W NA satellite list as all other NA A3's. The ROM was built from a custom ROM that I did for 2pc Red A3 that we sent to a friend in Ireland. The Ireland/EU specific stuff was stripped out for the "Jenny" version offered here in North America.

2.0.70 is the authorized stable version for any A3 as of 4 May 2015. You can update any Amiko Americas A3, Irish Red or not using the Spark Updater App. A3 ROMs available from the updater App are OTA's, basically meaning they won't break your satellite list or anything else when installed correctly. I do recommend running the new Eurotrash v0.5 Beta after updating any ROM to clean out unneeded Europe stuff and to make your A3 run faster and more stable.

Finally, Martyn mentioned trying to "email" me but that I don't accept private messages. To explain, I have PM's turned off here and at my own forum. The reason why, especially her at Satguys where I am a guest, is that PM's are constantly about business. I consider it rude at best to conduct business by PM in someone else's forum. If someone needs to contact me privately concerning business or product questions I'm not hard to find but it shouldn't be done VIA someone else's Forum.

Reactions: . Raine and mc6809e
In case you didn't already see it, T134 has red A3's on sale now for $129. His website says they're specially customized. I'm not sure why T134 is substantially undercutting his resellers on price? Maybe they are not as capable as the regular A3's? I don't know.

... If you really want to buy something from a Europe dealer pick well, because all support and any warranty would be from that individual dealer, not us or Amiko.....

I never suggested anywhere to buy an A3 from Europe. Where are you getting that? Correct me if I'm wrong, T134's website is not 'Europe'.

I took "you" in a general collective sense, not personal for individual address.

Yes, "you" means in general. Not targeting anyone. It has been a heck of a busy day and I don't often get here lately. I skimmed some posts and made a reply by request from Michael. I thought someone asked about buying from a EU dealer but perhaps in all the confusion it was more talk about the Irish Red from us. Sorry if I offended anyone or confused things further.

Yes you can. You will want to make back-ups so that you can always go back if you have issues though. Version 14 of Kodi caused issues. I myself have been running 15 of a few days now and it is working ok. Though when I am done it seems to mess up the satellite side of things. I have to reboot the box to get it work on FTA again. Have not took the time to narrow down if it is just something simple of if this will always be an issue with Kodi 15 on this box.

Reactions: madmadworld
Wife uses XBMC of course now Kodi a lot on the A3, so this evening in between stuff she was watching I did some testing. Normally she(and I am bad to do it also) will just hit the home button to return to Satellite when a show is there. So I had her actually exit out of Kodi 15 each time she left it instead of just hitting home, and then having to reboot the box.
Worked like a charm each time. :) Just hit the little I/O power icon and then exit and it goes back to APPS and works great no rebooting. :)
She would then just go over to TV and watch Satellite, then hit home and go over to APPS and select Kodi and watch something there....so working good that way so far.

Reactions: madmadworld
Speaking of MeTV, Decades, ETC on SES 1. When will the A3 be able to record these channels properly? I have the latest updates and it still does not record properly.

I read over at the Fridge yesterday, that if the drive you use for DVR recordings is formatted as "exFat", (instead of NTFS or FAT) those channels recordings will then play flawlessly.

I haven't tested this as of yet, because I have to get my 2.5" external usb drive bay from work, and put my A3's 1tb drive in it to reformat it exFat from my Windows 7 pc. There doesn't appear to be an Android app that can reformat the drive as exFat when it's installed inside the A3.

I read over at the Fridge yesterday, that if the drive you use for DVR recordings is formatted as "exFat", (instead of NTFS or FAT) those channels recordings will then play flawlessly.

I haven't tested this as of yet, because I have to get my 2.5" external usb drive bay from work, and put my A3's 1tb drive in it to reformat it exFat from my Windows 7 pc. There doesn't appear to be an Android app that can reformat the drive as exFat when it's installed inside the A3.

Ok, I just remembered that my wife's Acer laptop has a built-in second drive bay. I just reformatted my A3's WD 1TB drive to exFat. I am now recording the Perry Mason movie on MeTv with the A3. When it completes in 2 hours, I'll check it and see what happens. Will it be perfect or not... queue "Jeopardy" music for 2 hours...

Reactions: KE4EST
Well, I don't know what's going on as of yet, but I can't play either of the two recordings I just made on MeTv, and one on Cozi. Perry Mason movie, and the following Night Gallery, and 5 minutes of whatever was on Cozi. All I get is: "Sorry, this video can not be played" for any of them. These are the first recordings I have made since loading the 2.0.72 firmware, and changing the drive to exFat.

I don't know what's going on as of yet... I'm going to do a reboot.

Ok, a reboot fixed it. However, the 2 hour Perry Mason movie only recorded 6:14, even though the recording red light stayed on the whole time. That 6 minutes plays back perfect though. Not sure what happened to choke it off at the 6:14 point. The Night Gallery episode shows that it recorded the full 1/2 hour. Testing it now... 5 minutes into watching Night Gallery, and it plays perfectly! No herky-jerky issues!

So format your drives as exFat, and your recording and playback issues with MeTv and such will stop.

I'll try a recording on Decades next.

Ugh, I can't get Decades to scan in as of yet. It seems to be fighting with Heroes for some reason... I have a "PT 1" that's playing Heroes at 3953, and "Heroes" (scanned in as this) at 3956. That's also playing Heroes, but it's supposed to be Decades... Maybe I'll try the old reboot again...

Reboot didn't work, going to blow away all channels on 101w, and do another blindscan... I haven't done one since installing the newest firmware.

Last edited:
Ok, I had to blow away all but 1 transponder, then manually add the one for Decades (per my MicroHD, I set 3958/V/2734 pid v556/a 558/p556) and did a manual scan of that one). It brought up and finally loaded Decades.

I then did a normal blindscan, and it reloaded all the rest of the channels. It properly got Heroes and Heroes Alt, and since I already manually scanned in Decades, it has that also. Along with all the normal channels from the regular blindscan. I did lose all the epg data, but I'll put this in standby, and see if it repopulates itself.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)