AMIKO Amiko A3 questions - before I buy

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I currently have a GeosatPro MicroHD and am looking to upgrade. The MicroHD is OK overall, but I don't like the PVR functionality, the clunky interface (especially getting stuck with the 'moving dish' message when there is no need to move the dish), and the poor quality of the remote control.

While researching the Amiko A3 I looked all over and could not find a PDF of the User Manual. Is there one? I would prefer to read it before ordering.

Also, I read in the A3 Owners thread that someone had an issue with the A3's power supply. Does the A3 provide enough power to run a hard drive AND power a SG6100 dish motor? I'm wondering if anyone here has an A3 working with a SG6100 motor.

I don't have an SG6100 but the specs show its max current use is 350 mA. I've used both a Stab HH120 (on a 1.2m dish) and Sadoun DG380 (on a 1m dish) with my A3 without any problems. Both of those motors also list max current as 350 mA.

My A3 has a 1TB drive installed internally and a USB hub connected to the full sized USB port with a flash drive and a Logitech wireless keyboard dongle plugged into it. I haven't had any stability problems with the setup. I've been using it this way since the initial A3 release.

Guides and Instructions are available at the amiko-a3.us website, http://www.amiko-a3.us/?page_id=69. I've saved all the guides as pdfs on one of my computers for easier reference.

Ernie

There is no manual for A3, the guides will probably be all there ever is. This type of STB changes too fast to put a manual to print. Even our guides don't cover many of the things that have been done since launch.

Until I swapped for an Amiko DM3800 motor I ran A3 with SG6000 and PLL Twin almost daily. No problems whatsoever driving that or the same setup with a Titanium C1 on it.

There is a 1Gb Toshiba in my personal A3 now and I ran various other smaller drives in there for testing before I got the 1Tb. I also run a 4-port hub with 2 different keyboard dongles on it plus an occasional flash drive.

I don't know of any power issues with A3 unless someone were to seriously overload it beyond its ratings. Satellite current is rated 400mA which is more than enough for SG6000 and various LNBF/switch setups. Full size USB is a standard 500mA and the internal SATA interface handles whatever 2.5" SATA drives require. No idea what that is current wise.

If there was a manual I would look up how to use and control the PVR features. I don't see some of the traditional PVR control buttons on the remote control, like pause, play, etc. Or are they coded into the colored keys?

There was a post by Dee Ann where a defective LNBF was drawing 800mA plus a multi-switch and motor. :(

Definitely was not a A3 power problem. Guess that if a member didn't read completely through the gigantic thread, one would not see the extensive troubleshooting and results.

I have a GeosatPro SL1PLL LNBF for my KU dish which draws 160 mA. The SG6100 draws 350 mA. So 350 + 160 = 510 mA. That is above the 400 mA rating printed on the back of the A3. So in order to stay within spec I'll need to find another way to power the SG6100 motor if I get an A3. I would prefer to keep my GBox solely for powering the motor for my C-Band dish. Any thoughts?

Also I'm still wondering why the remote doesn't have some of the classic PVR buttons?

If there was a manual I would look up how to use and control the PVR features. I don't see some of the traditional PVR control buttons on the remote control, like pause, play, etc. Or are they coded into the colored keys?

Almost everything on A3 is point n click and color key driven.

There was a post by Dee Ann where a defective LNBF was drawing 800mA plus a multi-switch and motor. :(

Definitely was not a A3 power problem. Guess that if a member didn't read completely through the gigantic thread, one would not see the extensive troubleshooting and results.

Wow, 800mA draw from a LNB? Pulling that much current would smoke a lesser receiver! ;) I can't do those extremely long threads. Too much old information and 20 different topics from 15 different people, confuses my little brain and I miss stuff.

I have a GeosatPro SL1PLL LNBF for my KU dish which draws 160 mA. The SG6100 draws 350 mA. So 350 + 160 = 510 mA. That is above the 400 mA rating printed on the back of the A3. So in order to stay within spec I'll need to find another way to power the SG6100 motor if I get an A3. I would prefer to keep my GBox solely for powering the motor for my C-Band dish. Any thoughts?

Also I'm still wondering why the remote doesn't have some of the classic PVR buttons?

Your SG motor won't actually draw near 350mA even at startup. I don't remember the numbers but I've done extensive testing of this with C-band LNBFs and PLL Ku's. I'm thinking it was more like 250mA or less for a PLL Twin and SG6000 moving and the start up wasn't near 350mA.

In my opinion, the 350mA rating is extremely conservative. My system draws at least 550mA during continuous motor movement and higher during lift and start-up. Have yet to have a power issue.

A3 is rated at 400mA. The engineers always underrate our STB's. I checked this when we got the Nano which I think said 300mA on it. I left a load of something like 400mA on it for over 24 hours no problem. It didn't even get warm. Factory also did testing for us on that one and also said no problem going over the rating. Of course I better disclaim that and say you shouldn't be running tons of continuous current through anything or running it up to say 800mA. :)

My primary A3 Ku dish is 1m with an Avenger PLL321S-2 and a DMSI SG-2100 motor, also rated at 350 mA max. I have not had any issues with the motor or lnb on the A3.

As far as PVR keys on the remote, when the Record button (bottom left on the remote) is pressed the recording starts. Pressing the button again brings up the screen below and you can choose whatever you want to do.

A3_record.jpg

Ernie

Reactions: N6BY
I found a manual here for, I assume, the European model. It adds a lot to the Amiko Americas sheets that Joe provided, but obviously some of it doesn't apply to the NA model.

One thing that frustrated me was how to stop a recording. I hit the record button on the remote and then looked for the stop button, but it wasn't there. I searched all the Amiko Americas sheets without finding an answer, then found the European manual which provided the answer - so obvious in retrospect - hit the record button a second time.

Almost everything on A3 is point n click and color key driven.
Thanks, that answers my question about why it doesn't have the classic PVR buttons on the remote. I use those buttons so much that it wouldn't work for me to have to bring up the controls on the screen and then point to the one I want. Seems like too much work for functions I use all the time.
Your SG motor won't actually draw near 350mA even at startup. I don't remember the numbers but I've done extensive testing of this with C-band LNBFs and PLL Ku's. I'm thinking it was more like 250mA or less for a PLL Twin and SG6000 moving and the start up wasn't near 350mA.
Actually, my motor/LNBF combo draw 480 mA when the motor is moving the dish. I measured it tonight with a Fluke multimeter. This is close to the 510 mA max based on the specifications provided by the manufacturer.

I found a manual here for, I assume, the European model. It adds a lot to the Amiko Americas sheets that Joe provided, but obviously some of it doesn't apply to the NA model.

One thing that frustrated me was how to stop a recording. I hit the record button on the remote and then looked for the stop button, but it wasn't there. I searched all the Amiko Americas sheets without finding an answer, then found the European manual which provided the answer - so obvious in retrospect - hit the record button a second time.
Thanks for the link to the manual.

Figured I would post here and not start a new thread since brettbolt hit the name of the thread right on which is what I would have started with a name for a new thread.This A3 looks intriguing and my main qustions are.

1 Does it do 4:2:2?
2 If so how does it do recording and playback on the CBS feeds on G28 and G19?
3 Seems like I remember reading at one time that it should work with a HDHomerun for OTA..Is the A3 working with a HDHomerun or any other way to receive and record OTA?
4 Is there a program to install on the computer for editing sats and tp`s then shooting it back to the A3?
5 How does it do when using a ASC1,Vbox or Gbox for moving a actuator or H-H by way of Diseqc commands?
6 What are the switching options?..Can it cascade?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look over and answer these questions.

It doesn't do 4:2:2, although people keep saying it's been worked on. It will both record and stream (although not simultaneously!) 4:2:2 in the limited testing I've done on Ku-band.

1 Does it do 4:2:2?
The A3 will playback DVR 4:2:2 files, but live 4:2:2 is only happening on the bench. Joe is working with the Spark engineers to incorporate live 4:2:2 in the NA ROM. It looks good, but not ready for release yet.

2 If so how does it do recording and playback on the CBS feeds on G28 and G19?
I am currently streaming those to another Android STB and tablet to watch live. :D

3 Seems like I remember reading at one time that it should work with a HDHomerun for OTA..Is the A3 working with a HDHomerun or any other way to receive and record OTA?
Download the Android HDHomeRun app from the Google Play Store and you are up and running! SiliconDust just added the channel EPG service and program icons to the Android app.

XBMC also supports ATSC and I have seen a few Android apps for other ATSC hardware, but have not tested.

4 Is there a program to install on the computer for editing sats and tp`s then shooting it back to the A3?
You may easily edit without exporting using a RF or USB keyboard, export and edit with Excel or with the Spark Editor. I edit onboard using an RF keyboard and mouse. Remember, the A3 is a computer runniing Android OS.

5 How does it do when using a ASC1,Vbox or Gbox for moving a actuator or H-H by way of Diseqc commands?
The A3 has assignable DiSEqC 1.2 and opeartes controllers and switches without issue. I love the way that the A3 "auto-tunes" with DiSEqC 1.2. It asks if you want to save the new position if you get a higher SQ on a satellite.

6 What are the switching options?..Can it cascade?
DiSEqC 1.0/1.1/1.2 and 22KHz fully implemented.

Hey thanks jims and Titanium.I would much rather see a receiver do 4:2:2 live than stream,so if Joe can get that worked out it would be great.Question #5 is interesting as I seen a quote from your site Titanium and it caught my attention.Here it is right here.

Control all configurations of switches and motor controls. Accurate USALS calculations and DiSEqC 1.2 motor set-up automatically stops the motor and asks if you wish to save the position when the satellite and active transponder is found and peaked!

Now if I understand correctly does the A3 push the dish along until it finds the tp that is programmed and peak the dish on it`s own?.

Yes. It stops and queries if you wish to save the position. This is on the active TP and as you know, you may wish to verify other TPs that may be weaker or experience adjacent satellite interference. The SQ could be possibly peaked on another TP.

Reactions: mmewrench
Figured I would post here and not start a new thread since brettbolt hit the name of the thread right on which is what I would have started with a name for a new thread.This A3 looks intriguing and my main qustions are.
In retrospect I should have named it 'Questions to decide if I should buy it', because I use the DVR functions a lot. I still cannot understand why the mfr. did not include DVR control buttons on the remote. It seems like it would be easier to use with remote control buttons than the two-step process of bringing up a screen menu and then selecting the appropriate function. Because of that, the lack of a comprehensive manual, and lockups that people are experiencing during blind scans I am not going to buy an A3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts