AMIKO Amiko A3 questions - before I buy

Brettbolt, Understand that we all are looking for something different in our personal STBs when we buy.

Just want to clarify your DVR dedicated keys concern. The DVR start is like other STB DVRs and is a single button press of the remote REC key. The DVR stop function is a two button press like all other STBs. Press the REC key then press the OK key to confirm the stop. No extra keys or additional screens to navigate. :)

Let us know what STB you decide to buy and how you like it!

Reactions: dougruss
Brettbolt, Understand that we all are looking for something different in our personal STBs when we buy.

Just want to clarify your DVR dedicated keys concern. The DVR start is like other STB DVRs and is a single button press of the remote REC key. The DVR stop function is a two button press like all other STBs. Press the REC key then press the OK key to confirm the stop. No extra keys or additional screens to navigate. :)

That would work fine for starting and stopping recording. But skipping through commercials, fast forward, and rewind would require multiple button presses. I use the latter 3 functions much more frequently than starting and stopping recording.

I really do like the A3's spectrum display feature. As for the IPTV features -- I already have a Roku for that. What I'm looking for is an HD DVR for FTA that has better DVR functionality than the microHD that I am using now. Like a TiVo with a satellite tuner.

Reactions: Titanium
Here's the remote. Take a look and see what you think.

226564559.jpg

The Mini HD SE is what I would go for if the A3 was not an option. Excellent receiver.

I think the MINI HD SE is the receiver the Micro HD should have been if it had grown up a little bit, lol. The only real issue I have with the Micro HD, is the clock just won't keep time very well. It slowly drifts about 15-20 seconds every 2 weeks~, even if it's set manually, and even if you never, ever turn the receiver off or let it sleep.

Other than that, the Micro HD is an exceptional receiver for recording and using the dvr functions.

How is the clock on the MINI HD SE? I'm assuming it can lock to an internet time source, so should always be correct?

I have a Mini HD that might as well not have a clock built in, it is that bad, it is unusable to me as a DVR. I'd like to hear how the SE handles time.

The A3 works well as a DVR, but the MicroHD handles the recording and playback better due to the receiver functionality and software, not the remote's buttons. I've had an A3 since the release but only had time this past month to really play with it. The only complaint I have on the A3 DVR is the sound seems to be out of sync quite often. I wish the A3 had a FF function as well as bookmarking a file so it could be resumed at a later time. The MicroHD does all of that.

My MicroHD keeps time almost perfectly as long as it's always left on and the power never drops.

The MicroHD also can record one channel and display another channel on the same TP.

An accurate clock would be nice, but a bad clock is not a deal killer for me since I am mostly interested in hunting for live feeds that occur at random. What would really be a great feature is if you could set the receiver to record when the currently tuned channel switches from a static screen to a moving image, or an image that appeared to be from a camera.

I currently have two software defined radios (a USRP B200 and a NooElec R820T). Given enough time, I could program my B200 to process the satellite signal and start recording when it changes to live camera.

The Mini HD SE is what I would go for if the A3 was not an option. Excellent receiver.
Its got the buttons I want on the remote control. But on the back of the unit it says "300 mA max" on the LNB in, which isn't enough for my LNB + SG6100 motor. If I got one I would have to find another way to power the motor to stay within spec.

I think I am going to put up with my MicroHD for the time being. I have to be pointing the remote perfectly at the thing to get it to respond. And the "Moving Dish" message blocks all input and sits up there about 3 times longer than it needs to be. It often comes up when it doesn't need to, and sometimes the MicroHD doesn't move the dish when it should. Unfortunately I have a feeling that there is not going to be a software update to fix the issues with the MicroHD.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
They are very conservative on that number. Guess it makes for less returns or for people that really try to go crazy. I ran mine with a 6100 and 8x1 switch and LNBs for several months before I went back to my STAB motor. Never had an issue.

The secret sort of with the "moving dish" on the Micro is as it displays the message I push exit on the remote. It goes away. I don't see myself ever investing in another FTA receiver as I don't use fta stuff like I did 4-5 years ago. If a receiver ever came out that was almost 100% bug free I might consider it. I like the concept of the A3 and android system etc... but not ready to spend that much on something that isn't way better than what I have already.

Reactions: N6BY
The secret sort of with the "moving dish" on the Micro is as it displays the message I push exit on the remote. ....
Thanks! That will save me a lot of time when adjusting settings and I don't want to move the dish.

Since new development and refinement of the MicroHD software seems to be suspended at the moment, I wish they would make the firmware 'open source'. The hardware is excellent and there are many developers out there who could fix its existing software issues. Getting rid of the infamous 'boot loop' and fixing the 'moving dish' situation would be the top fixes in my opinion. After that I would want to add some special features for feed hunting and detection of active channels.

... I don't see myself ever investing in another FTA receiver as I don't use fta stuff like I did 4-5 years ago. If a receiver ever came out that was almost 100% bug free I might consider it. ...

Much too often it appears that satellite receivers are rushed to market before the software is working as well as it should. Having experienced management nagging and constant 'When will it be dones?" when I worked at my previous job, I know the pressure that software developers have in getting a product ready for release.

... I like the concept of the A3 and android system etc... but not ready to spend that much on something that isn't way better than what I have already.

Its hard to not buy an A3 because it does so much! But for the same price you could have a Roku for IPTV and a MicroHD, but without the A3's spectrum display feature which almost make it a must have. I say 'almost' because I already have two software defined radios for that.

Like I said in post #22 here, a TiVo with a satellite tuner would make me happy. I am looking into the possibility of using software defined radio to process a satellite signal and convert it to ATSC or NTSC so that a TiVo would accept it as input.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blindowl1234
I removed the plastic lenses on my microHD remote sensor eye and programmed my Dish Network remote with the microHD commands. Much better control with these changes. The micro's remote should be shot! :)

Reactions: N6BY

Thanks everyone for all the information about the Amiko receivers. I just placed an order for a Amiko Mini HD SE. I would have gotten an A3, but I like the Mini's remote better.

Brett

Just a quick follow up: I received the Amiko Mini HD SE the day after I ordered it. That is fast! Many thanks to Brian at Titanium for the immediate shipping and answering my questions.

I am happy with the Mini HD SE and its a nice upgrade from the MicroHD. It should keep the TV going while I explore my options with open source DVB-S2 PCI-Express cards.

Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)