Amiko A3 still usable?

Bongu

FTA addict - suffering withdrawal since moving
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Fort Worth 'burbs
I have a sexy red A3 I got when they were first released. It has never been updated and has never been hooked to a dish. It was powered up solely to prove it could boot.

I have some questions that I know this group can answer.

Is this still a capable receiver by today's standards?

Is newer firmware still available for it?

What limitations might I experience if I use it?

Would I be better off with one of the new Edison receivers?

I know I have more questions, but these pop into my old brain the quickest.

Thanks,

Bongu

Sent from my SM-N975U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have a sexy red A3 I got when they were first released. It has never been updated and has never been hooked to a dish. It was powered up solely to prove it could boot.

I have some questions that I know this group can answer.

Is this still a capable receiver by today's standards?

Is newer firmware still available for it?

What limitations might I experience if I use it?

Would I be better off with one of the new Edison receivers?

I know I have more questions, but these pop into my old brain the quickest.

Thanks,

Bongu

Sent from my SM-N975U using the SatelliteGuys app!
Mine still worked for FTA channels the last time I used it, maybe a couple of years ago, so it should still be usable. It won't get any 4K that is up there. Important! If you decide to fire it up and give it a try make sure you do a full backup before anything else. If I recall this thing was easy to mess up and you will need a backup to recover. I don't believe there is any support for it now as I think FridgeFTA is gone.

Would you be better off with a new Edision receiver? Having used my Edision for a bit my answer would be yes. It is a much better receiver with many options. A bit complicated at first but well worth it in my opinion. :)

If you have one with the original firmware it would likely be ok. I have one that has later firmware and find it very unstable. Not sure if it will even boot now. Think the last time I tried it I had to re-load the firmware so it would boot, and after a few hours of use it would just quit and require firmware to be re-loaded again.
The Edison Mio is much more stable and up-to-date as far as latest DVB signals go, and support is about as good as it gets. I have one, it gets used every day.
The Amiko 265 is likely a good receiver too for basics. I have the previous mini hd re version and it still works fine.
Just IMHO...

Reactions: KE4EST
Cham is correct if you have one with earlier firmware you 'should' okay. The guy at FridgeFTA screwed with the firmware too much later on, not knowing for sure what he was doing and caused too many issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)