Amiko Mini HD SE Backups

Cosmo Blatz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
S.E. WI and Central NV
I made a backup to flash drive as soon as I bought the Mini HD SE. The backup was done before doing any scans. Now that I have all the scans in, if I do another backup, will it save all the TP and positioner # info to the flash drive? Will it overwrite the previous save? Should I use a fresh empty flash drive to do the new backup? I really don't want to loose all the scanned info or the initial baseline backup.

Also - How long will the Mini HD hold the program data with the power off? Same question for the VBox7.

Everything is working great. Couldn't be happier with this system!

Unless you put the flash drive in your computer and rename the file it will over write it, but it will save all the new info you have added also. :)
How Long? Forever, that is unless you take a hammer too it. The only thing lost when power is pulled it the clock functions.
Same with vbox it will hold it indefinitely.

Unless you put the flash drive in your computer and rename the file it will over write it, but it will save all the new info you have added also. :)
How Long? Forever, that is unless you take a hammer too it. The only thing lost when power is pulled it the clock functions.

Thanks for the quick reply ke4est! I'll rename the original backup. No problem loosing the clock - it always needs resetting anyway. Most inaccurate clock I've ever seen in an electronic device.

Chiming in here, when making a backup, it appears it does only one? As if all of it is combined to include TPs, favorites, etc? A little different than the MicroHD if I see this all correctly....where in that receiver you backed up things separately in different files.... Am I correct or am I missing something?

Chiming in here, when making a backup, it appears it does only one? As if all of it is combined to include TPs, favorites, etc? A little different than the MicroHD if I see this all correctly....where in that receiver you backed up things separately in different files.... Am I correct or am I missing something?

Looks like 4 files were backed up to the flash drive, but only 1 file has actual backup data (an 8 meg file). file name: bak-201111290018.abs

That's what I see on mine, too. One "named" file containing all settings. I've not done any restoration of files or updates yet, but had done this backup and wondered.
The "manual" online upgrade via http seemed to easily connect and begin downloads, but I did not complete it or apply it. Just tested it's connectivity.

I don't have a Mini HD SE so I can't say for sure about that model but on my Amiko NanoHD and HD-8240 you can rename the backup file to whatever you want. Since they both make .abs files I always include the receiver name and date/time (Nano-bak-201408060048.abs was the one I just made). When you choose Upgrade By USB from the System menu you can choose whatever backup file you want and then select the Upgrade Mode you want (Software with no channel list, Channel List, All SW+ bootloader, All SW+Channel List). I make a fresh backup whenever I make any significant changes to any of my receivers.

Ernie

Very good point to bring up Ernie. I do the same thing with mine, I rename it to receiver and date and sometimes add an abbreviation of 3 or 4 charterers to something I will recognize for future reference.

Hey, I thought of something! My wife likes to smack things when they don't SEEM to be working properly. So this unit can be put away in a safe place, and avoid any unnecessary abuse. All she will see is the RF unit, and thats not big enough to SMACK, so I think we'll be good. She knows it's not cool to be mad with a hammer. I'll let her use the little hammers that she has used in the past that come in sizes from 1/4" to 7/8"...LOL T

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)