Amplifier Power Calculator

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Found a spreadsheet online that seems to be set up for THX recommendations 85db + 20db(105db) peak.

I threw in the date for my speakers and wanted to see what you guys in the know think about the accuracy of the spreadsheet:

Efficiency - 98 1W/1M
10.6 feet away
Avg program 85db
Headroom 20db
8ohms

RMS Wattage - 27
Peak Wattage - 53

Look right?

I know transients come into play here in dynamic scenes, but just curious on the result of the calculator.

I don't know how accurate the calculations are, but shouldn't the room size/acoustics be factored in somehow?

I don't know how accurate the calculations are, but shouldn't the room size/acoustics be factored in somehow?
THX takes much more than audio volume into consideration and a good sound image processing system will be able to compensate for many of the environmental issues.

The ability of the system to deliver the sound levels required is one of the few things you can apply a formula to.

The ability of the system to deliver the sound levels required is one of the few things you can apply a formula to.
If the formula calculates the levels for the worst possible scenario (anechoic chamber conditions), then in a real room the same decibels can be achieved with less power.