An Alaskan In Need...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

\h3x

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Alaska
I ordered D* about 1 1/2 months ago... Received a bill 1 month ago... Only one problem... I do not have service! The damn installers are stalling on coming out here and will not give me a date on when they are coming out here... I'm fed up with the waiting and wish to buy the dish myself and have a local contractor here on the island set it up.

It's a 1.2 meter dish is all they will tell me. Question is, where could I buy this dish? or what is the model # of this dish?

I signed up for both Regular and HD programming... Any help is very much appreciated.

I had Directv for a month, but it didn't work out because once it was installed the wind knock it out and when I called them after 3 times nobody could come out to fix it . So I gave up Directv is not ready for primetime in Alaska and Hawaii. So for now I have to reccommand you choose Dish Network which is good so as long as you don't pay the $600 for the 1.2m dish, GCI is also good and so is MTA if they're available to you.

MTA isn't available here.. and GCI sucks (bunch of crooks they are... $60 for 512Kbps/128Kbps Cable with an 8 GB per month cap.. and they expect $60 for 50 channels..).. Thankfully I'm not stupid enough to take the 50 channels for $60 a month, but have no choice but to take the 512k with 8 gig cap for $60.

Just curious, what internet do you have and whats the speed/costs?

I have GCI In Anchorage so it myst be cheaper here with the ultimate package I get almost all channels except family and sports for about $100 get 3mbps with unlimited downloads. So they have changed and the change is likely coming to your area.

Anch.AK said:
I have GCI In Anchorage so it myst be cheaper here with the ultimate package I get almost all channels except family and sports for about $100 get 3mbps with unlimited downloads. So they have changed and the change is likely coming to your area.

I don't know about GCI's ways since I just moved here about 2 months ago and I'm just trying to get some TV (13 channels can get a little boring.. and the $20 a month for it isn't helping). But the "Ultimate Package" they offer here is 50 some channels and what they call, "litespeed" which is actually 64K/56K..

Well I tried, GCI is different in Anchorage I don't know where you are at, but lite speed can be easily upgraded. Make note that Alaska is a blackout area for some Directv channels like Miltary and a few others. Of course Directv won't tell you this. You can take a look at Dish Network if you want since they lease equipment in Alaska and everywhere now. Make note that for the Dish 180 package and HD channels you'll need to buy an insanely expensive dish. The 120 package with locals only requires a 30inch dish so that's the way to go for now. With Directv they should be able to offer the channels that are blacked out once Directv 9s gets launched.

Let me see if I can answer your questions about the Directv equipment. You'll get 1 1.2m dish for free and if you want HD programming you'll need 2 1.2m dishes the second dish will have to come at your expense. Each dish includes 3lnbs upgradable all the way to 5 whitch pretty much makes it a 5lnb dish. The low noise blocks are for satellites 99, 101, and 103. You'll require the new H20 recievers and you have no other choice, but to have the H20 not only for HD, but since our local channels are MPEG-4 video compressed. So don't asked for a DVR until the new one comes out sometime in the second quarter of this year. I'm not sure where you can buy this 1.2m dish I know if you paid for one through Directv they'll just ship it to you like they will with all the equipment you need. I suppose GCI isn't offering HD in your area yet so far GCI has it for Anchorage, the Mat-Su, Fairbanks, and Juneau.

Kodiak would have some pretty limited options for installers. If you have an ACS store down there they do offer Dish Network and the HD channels with some crazy equipment costs. Maybe see if they have other Dish Network retailers besides ACS and shop around if money isn't much of an object. Some retailers might be cheaper than others. The Dish Network 1.2m Dish here in Anchorage costs pretty close to $600.

It makes no sense... The majority here have dishes.. and I can't see everyone being able to afford $1200 for a couple of dishes + labor costs

The majority do have dishes they are Dish Network dishes. And they are only 30inches which don't come with a big price tag. The 30inch dish is only around $100 and it will get you the Echostar 119 satellite only. So you can have some movie channels, 120 package or less, locals, and sirius radio. All that comes off the 119.

I'd love Sirius Radio but E* does not have NFL Sunday Ticket, which is a MUST.

I'll just keep bugging the sh*t out of the installers.. Thanks anyways :s

\h3x said:
I ordered D* about 1 1/2 months ago... Received a bill 1 month ago... Only one problem... I do not have service! The damn installers are stalling on coming out here and will not give me a date on when they are coming out here... I'm fed up with the waiting and wish to buy the dish myself and have a local contractor here on the island set it up.

It's a 1.2 meter dish is all they will tell me. Question is, where could I buy this dish? or what is the model # of this dish?

I signed up for both Regular and HD programming... Any help is very much appreciated.

If you need help, call John Macpherson, at Satellite Alaska (907) 243-7475 and he will have some answers for you...

Will do.. But I live on Kodiak Island, not on the mainland.

Last edited:
Someone said John was on the mainland and claimed they knew more about satellites then him. I explained the entire directv situation to them and they said they would call back today and they never did. It's 10:37 PM alaska time.

Satellite Alaska is located here in Anchorage near Spenard Road. John sells mostly Dish Network equipment, but he might also sell some 1.2m dishes, but since he is not a Directv dealer he may not have the right lnbs.

Well, the 'installers' called today... They said they won't be able to do it because I would get no signal (which I had someone come out here and check to see if I had a clear shot of the 110 and 119 satellites, which I do), and that I would have no local channels whatsoever (Anchorage channels? They are statewide, unless you live in Fairbanks or Juneau.. But we get all the Anchorage locals + a Juneau WB on GCI Cable (which I'm not willing to switch to in the near future)...

So, my installation order has been cancelled and now I'm stuck in a ditch.

Sorry for the delayed response...

He's a friend that worked for a local installer here that does E*, he did some side jobs for him in the past and knows how to troubleshoot satellite issues (he even introduced me to lyngsat)... He moved away but the local installer still works here.

He took out this compass thing that he looks into and looked to see if I had a clear shot, and he said I did.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts