An Open Letter to all my Friends in the Sports Forum

HD MM

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Believeland, Ohio
Dear Satellite Guys & Gals,

As some of you may already be aware, the NBA regular season has come to a close last night. This means the postseason is nearing. With that said, it is sure to be one wild and crazy ride! One filled with plenty of emotion and stress, especially from a Clevelander's standpoint....

The stakes are at it's all time highest. Our team has had the best regular season record for the 2nd consecutive year. Our team has added more pieces in the offseason and are expected to compete for a Championship that has eluded this city since 1964 and this franchise since it's inception. I've made the statement at the beginning of the year that "anything less than a title will be a disappointment." I've accepted it then and I'm still living by that statement. In poker terms, we are "all-in".

This is the last year LeBron James is under contract with the Cavaliers. Some say the outcome of this post-season will have the most influence in deciding his contract of the future. So you see my friends, this post-season is especially important to us. Not only are we on the verge of doing something that hasn't been seen in this city for 46 years, but we're also continuing to make a case for the league's best player to stay in the area he's grown up in and has played for his entire career.

I shouldn't have to remind those of you who knew basketball life in this city pre-LeBron James, but let's just say, "irrelevant" was one of the most accurate descriptive words. My biggest fear, possibly even bigger than not winning it all this year is falling back into "irrelevancy". I can hardly stomach the thought. Yes the team is bigger than the name on the back of the jersey, but in respects to the Cleveland Cavaliers, I'm not so sure. LeBron has single handily brought this team credibility & excitement along with national recognition. I don't want the party to end just yet.

But first thing's first. The Cavs kick-off the opening round of the playoffs this Saturday. One day, one game at a time. The only thing I can promise is this: I will be a cornucopia of emotions throughout these playoffs. It will take a lot of booze to make it through these next few months with my sanity still in tack. For these reasons, I ask you my friends for your patience, your thoughts and your understanding.

Us Clevelanders have been through an awful lot in our time. We have thick skin, trust me. Heart break is nothing new. I can even argue that this city, more so than any other may be better prepared for the worst case scenario, but I don't want to go there. We deserve something good to happen to us for God's sake! This city deserves to smile! This city deserves to hold it's head up high! This city has been the target of comedic punch lines for all too long! Our time has come!

Go Cavaliers! This is going to be one helluva ride!

Sincerely,

HD MM
Fanatical Clevelander

*PS, in the future, If appropriate I can use this thread to post my Cavalier post-season thoughts instead of muddying up the Postseason NBA thread with my on-going Cavalier ramblings.

All the stars have lined up in Cleveland's favor this year. The odds of the Cavs not winning the NBA championship are as low as the odds of Lake Erie catching on fire.

:D

The misteak by the lake.

As Boston Globe sports columnist used to write in response to fairweather Boston fans who were ready to jump ship whenever their team finished anywhere other than first, "If you don't like it, move to Cleveland."

I think the fans in Cleveland are setting themselves up for a mass suicide. At least, when the Lakers didn't win it in 1969, with Wilt, Jerry West and Elgin Baylor, nobody in LA really gave a damn.

Cleveland plays better as a team with Ilgauskas on the floor than with Shaq. That is going to hurt them.

As some of you may already be aware, the NBA regular season has come to a close last night. This means the postseason is nearing. With that said, it is sure to be one wild and crazy ride! One filled with plenty of emotion and stress, especially from a Clevelander's standpoint....

The stakes are at it's all time highest. Our team has had the best regular season record for the 2nd consecutive year. Our team has added more pieces in the offseason and are expected to compete for a Championship that has eluded this city since 1964 and this franchise since it's inception. I've made the statement at the beginning of the year that "anything less than a title will be a disappointment." I've accepted it then and I'm still living by that statement. In poker terms, we are "all-in".

This is the last year LeBron James is under contract with the Cavaliers. Some say the outcome of this post-season will have the most influence in deciding his contract of the future. So you see my friends, this post-season is especially important to us. Not only are we on the verge of doing something that hasn't been seen in this city for 46 years, but we're also continuing to make a case for the league's best player to stay in the area he's grown up in and has played for his entire career.

I shouldn't have to remind those of you who knew basketball life in this city pre-LeBron James, but let's just say, "irrelevant" was one of the most accurate descriptive words. My biggest fear, possibly even bigger than not winning it all this year is falling back into "irrelevancy". I can hardly stomach the thought. Yes the team is bigger than the name on the back of the jersey, but in respects to the Cleveland Cavaliers, I'm not so sure. LeBron has single handily brought this team credibility & excitement along with national recognition. I don't want the party to end just yet.

But first thing's first. The Cavs kick-off the opening round of the playoffs this Saturday. One day, one game at a time. The only thing I can promise is this: I will be a cornucopia of emotions throughout these playoffs. It will take a lot of booze to make it through these next few months with my sanity still in tack. For these reasons, I ask you my friends for your patience, your thoughts and your understanding.

Us Clevelanders have been through an awful lot in our time. We have thick skin, trust me. Heart break is nothing new. I can even argue that this city, more so than any other may be better prepared for the worst case scenario, but I don't want to go there. We deserve something good to happen to us for God's sake! This city deserves to smile! This city deserves to hold it's head up high! This city has been the target of comedic punch lines for all too long! Our time has come!

Sincerely,

HD MM
Fanatical Clevelander

*PS, in the future, If appropriate I can use this thread to post my Cavalier post-season thoughts instead of muddying up the Postseason NBA thread with my on-going Cavalier ramblings.
you didnt hear? LeBron tore his ACL.

I hope the Bulls give the Cavs are hard time in the 1st round like they did to the Celtics last season[Cavs need to earn the right to get to the 2nd round].

Sincerely,

HD MM
Fanatical Clevelander

Gotta love asking for a "pass" on future over-the-top posts!!!...Good luck with that!!!...;)

That being said, GO CAVS!!!...I still like the team's chances this year!!!...:cool:

New Cavs Billboard

Check it out...

banner27.jpg

I hope you have purchased plenty of booze to get you through. When the Magic win its back to back Eastern title, it will be very rough on you.

;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts