Kentucky Derby

Davedirectv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 24, 2009
In the Van.
Horse racing has never been a major draw in the Sports Forum, however we did have a few active Kentucy Derby and related threads (i.e., Preakness, Belmont) back was HD events outside of primetime were few and far between. I've kind of lost interest because the Triple Crown events were always on NBC and they always do a horrible job covering these event (poor HD quality and announcers/color commentators that make someone want to smash their faces). If I didn't love hockey and my Red Wings so much I would probably not watch the NHL on NBC since their broadcasts are so, so, so bad.

Oh, I'll watch this Saturday (or schedule a timer on my Tivo) but I would highly recommend changing the title of this thread to "2010 Triple Crown". ;)

Anyway, it's been a long time since we've had a Triple Crown winner.

I have always avoided starting threads on this sport. Never knew how the management felt about discussions of gambling, albeit legal.

Anyway, we have OTB at a low rent dog track that I drive by every day. I will stop in and put down some money on my Saturday picks (several races) on Friday afternoon and watch the KY Oaks there. I will stop by on Saturday morning to get some more covers on some exotics and serials that only open up on raceday and then head to a local place that has a Derby party, which accepts "friendly" wagers and sets its own odds. Lots of stupid money and I generally make money there, although they only do W-P-S.

Sidney's Candy,

I have always avoided starting threads on this sport. Never knew how the management felt about discussions of gambling, albeit legal.

The thought never even occured to me that they would have a problem, if it is please delete it, I meant no harm.

Anyway, we have OTB at a low rent dog track that I drive by every day. I will stop in and put down some money on my Saturday picks (several races) on Friday afternoon and watch the KY Oaks there. I will stop by on Saturday morning to get some more covers on some exotics and serials that only open up on raceday and then head to a local place that has a Derby party, which accepts "friendly" wagers and sets its own odds. Lots of stupid money and I generally make money there, although they only do W-P-S.

Sidney's Candy,

I got your drift on exotics, but what's a serial? Just pm me if this is too much betting talk.

I have no problem with this because it is a sport too. I mean people gamble on any and every sport.

Saying that I rarely watch the race unless I just happen to be home, but I don't go out of my way to watch it, because it is only a couple of minutes at most.

I got your drift on exotics, but what's a serial? Just pm me if this is too much betting talk.

Pick Six, multi-days, etc. Some people just think of serials as a form of exotics, but I break them down into two groups. Serials are almost like the lottery, in that the chance of winning is tiny, but the rewards can be nearly life changing. A regular exotic, while it can make for a good day, is, at the end, just a good day.

Mainly I stick to the superfecta bets as far as exotics go. Only the small ones, I'm not a big bet type of person, like to spread out the losses :D

Usually, I'll bet a couple horses, pick a favorite and a long shot and stick with those two. That way when they hit, I hit for a lot.

OK, my prediction is that Ice Box or Super Saver will win this running of the Derby.

Way to go out on a limb and pick the favorites...LOL!:rolleyes:;)

I like the #7 horse, AMERICAN LION. I also like the #11, DEVIL MAY CARE.

EDIT: Add the horse bought for only $10,000 as my long shot in NOBLE PROMISE, the #3 horse.

Last edited:
I just call 'em like I see 'em. :) BTW, I told my dad that Super Saver would win prior to the horses entering the gates.

My total payout: $0.00.

Anyway, good race...the track was in horrible conditiona and I'm glad nobody got hurt.

Super Saver's owner placed a $100,000 bet just before post time....and made himself $800,000!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)