There are lots of NHL traditions - what about the NBA?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
One of the amazing things about the NHL is all the traditions wrapped up in the sport. For some reason, even though I'm a huge NBA fan, I cannot think of many traditions from professional basketball.

There are many traditions in college basketball, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want to know about the NBA.

In the NHL you have traditions of the sport itself:

- Throwing hats on the ice when a player scores three goals in one game

- The handshake line at the end of each playoff round

- Players growing playoff beards until their team is eliminated

- The Stanley Cup itself, the most iconic trophy in all of sport

- A new tradition like the Winter Classic played outdoors every year on January 1

- Serenading the opposing team's goalie during the playoffs

- Announcing the three stars of the game to the crowd after every game

There are also countless traditions of individual teams:

- The 'Ole' chant in Montreal (they were in rare form last night - unbelievable)

- The singer holding the mike up and letting the entire crowd sing the National Anthem at Edmonton playoff games

- Throwing octopus onto the ice in Detroit

- Ranger fans chanting 'Potvin Sucks' 5-10 times a game, even though Potvin retired more than 20 years ago. We do not forget what he did

- Blackhawk and Ranger fans completely drowning out the National Anthem with noise, something that has to be seen in person to be believed

- The 'whiteout' that goes back to Winnipeg and Quebec City, when they were in the NHL

- New Jersey losing in the first round every year

- Islander fans going to games dressed as empty seats

(sorry, could not resist the last two!)

- St Louis ringing a loud bell after they score a goal, one ding for every goal they've scored so far in the game

- 'Barney knows hockey' in Carolina

- Flag waving that started with Roger Neilson coaching in Vancouver a long time ago

- The 'C' of red in Calgary

- Playing 'The Rangers Victory Song' at the Garden after a win, a song that goes back to the 1930's

- The Philadelphia Flyers using Kate Smith singing God Bless America as their good luck charm in the playoffs

I'm sure I'm missing a few, that's just off the top of my head.

College football and basketball are laden with these type of traditions, if you would like to start another thread about them please feel free. I can think of a whole bunch in the NFL and MLB too.

It's the NBA where I am coming up short, though. This is what I've thought of:

- The annual Christmas Day game

- The Lebron chalk thing

- The Detroit announcer (Zinkoff?) who has very imaginative ways of announcing 'Detroit basketball' when the ball goes out of bounds

Please help me out here...what am I missing in the NBA?

Thanks

Sandra

Last edited:
One of the amazing things about the NHL is all the traditions wrapped up in the sport. For some reason, even though I'm a huge NBA fan, I cannot think of many traditions from professional basketball.

There are many traditions in college basketball, but that's not what I'm talking about. I want to know about the NBA.

In the NHL you have traditions of the sport itself:

- Throwing hats on the ice when a player scores three goals in one game

- The handshake line at the end of each playoff round

- Players growing playoff beards until their team is eliminated

- The Stanley Cup itself, the most iconic trophy in all of sport

- A new tradition like the Winter Classic played outdoors every year on January 1

- Serenading the opposing team's goalie during the playoffs

- Announcing the three stars of the game to the crowd after every game

There are also countless traditions of individual teams:

- The 'Ole' chant in Montreal (they were in rare form last night - unbelievable)

- The singer holding the mike up and letting the entire crowd sing the National Anthem at Edmonton playoff games

- Throwing octopus onto the ice in Detroit

- Ranger fans chanting 'Potvin Sucks' 5-10 times a game, even though Potvin retired more than 20 years ago. We do not forget what he did

- Blackhawk and Ranger fans completely drowning out the National Anthem with noise, something that has to be seen in person to be believed

- The 'whiteout' that goes back to Winnipeg and Quebec City, when they were in the NHL

- New Jersey losing in the first round every year

- Islander fans going to games dressed as empty seats

(sorry, could not resist the last two!)

- St Louis ringing a loud bell after they score a goal, one ding for every goal they've scored so far in the game

- 'Barney knows hockey' in Carolina

- Flag waving that started with Roger Neilson coaching in Vancouver a long time ago

- The 'C' of red in Calgary

- Playing 'The Rangers Victory Song' at the Garden after a win, a song that goes back to the 1930's

- The Philadelphia Flyers using Kate Smith singing God Bless America as their good luck charm in the playoffs

I'm sure I'm missing a few, that's just off the top of my head.

College football and basketball are laden with these type of traditions, if you would like to start another thread about them please feel free. I can think of a whole bunch in the NFL and MLB too.

It's the NBA where I am coming up short, though. This is what I've thought of:

- The annual Christmas Day game

- The Lebron chalk thing

- The Detroit announcer (Zinkoff?) who has very imaginative ways of announcing 'Detroit basketball' when the ball goes out of bounds

Please help me out here...what am I missing in the NBA?

Thanks

Sandra
Excessive tatoos, Illegal gun possession charges, jail terms, constant barrage of music and distracting noises played during game action.

Jordan was the first person to do that.

There were others who used resin in sports, sure. But no one makes such a big production out of it as LeBron...

[video=youtube;9SiQKxja79M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiQKxja79M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SiQKxja79M[/video]

Last edited:
Funny, I always thought it was cocaine... ;):D

scarface-al-pacino-cocaine-film-finale-gun-fight-a1.jpg

[The singer holding the mike up and letting the entire crowd sing the National Anthem at Edmonton playoff games
Vancouver started that and did it for every game. Edmonton started it a couple years ago

The cavs do this thing where they choke every year in the play offs...

;)

I dont know the Magic have the fat guy who runs around the Arena.. He paints himself all up and runs around the arena pumping up the crowd..

NHL players wear suit and ties.

What do NBA players wear?

Oh! NHL- play a series with broken foot, jaw, etc
NBA- Go on IR with a hangnail!

Growing up, I was the type of athletic kid who spent time shooting the ball around just for fun, doing last second countdown type shots.

3-2-1 swish it's good! I couldn't tell you how many hours and hours I would just shoot the ball around, gave me quite a love for the game, 2nd to only football.

I only watched one NBA game this year, friend of mine had some tix to a Pistons game, we lost. Pretty good half time show, guys doing all these high flying slam dunks with trampolines.

Otherwise, NBA just doesn't have nothing for me. What happened to the love of the game. Who cares about the players, what about the game?

Both have traditions I think when it comes to the National Anthem

NBA:

NHL:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)