There are lots of NHL traditions - what about the NBA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ok, didn't know this thread would develop into a hate filled bash fest of the NBA. I'm sure the OP didn't intend it to turn into this anyways. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic:

As for traditions, the NBA has a pretty unique and exciting pregame ritual. In Cleveland at least, all the lights are turned out, a video introduction to music is played over the jumbo-tron, then the players are excitedly introduced one-by-one. Fans cheer while fire, smoke and pyrotechnics are set off. It's very dramatic. No MLB, NHL or NFL game I've ever been to has quite the pregame intro that the NBA has.

Ok, didn't know this thread would develop into a hate filled bash fest of the NBA. I'm sure the OP didn't intend it to turn into this anyways. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic:

As for traditions, the NBA has a pretty unique and exciting pregame ritual. In Cleveland at least, all the lights are turned out, a video introduction to music is played over the jumbo-tron, then the players are excitedly introduced one-by-one. Fans cheer while fire, smoke and pyrotechnics are set off. It's very dramatic. No MLB, NHL or NFL game I've ever been to has quite the pregame intro that the NBA has.

I don't know, the NFL seems to have pretty elaborat pre-game introductions, but you only see that part on 'Inside the NFL' on Wednesdays. It happens before the networks start their telecasts, so you don't see it live.

Sandra

I don't know, the NFL seems to have pretty elaborat pre-game introductions, but you only see that part on 'Inside the NFL' on Wednesdays. It happens before the networks start their telecasts, so you don't see it live.

Sandra

Perhaps in the Superbowl, but I've NEVER seen an pre-game introduction quite like at a live NBA game and I've been to plenty live events in all sports.

Back to the topic:

Ride down I-71 to a Blue Jackets Game.

Plenty watch NHL games where I'm from !

18,000 every night :D

Same here. More people goes to NHL games here than NBA games.

Never mind unless you count that one game a year when Princess James and her team of misfit toys come to Pittsburgh, we don't have NBA games, come to think of it, even if you count that game a year we don't have NBA games.

When it comes to tradition there really is no comparison...

Other than when the Pistons are in the playoffs, I don't follow the NBA and wouldn't watch a playoff game unless I was paid for my time. However, I watch many of the NHL playoff games on television and try to attend at least 10-games in person each year...mostly in Detroit, Dallas and Washington. NHL games are electric whereas NBA games are pathetic.

Anyway, although not technically a "tradition" the NHL regularly acknowledges its founders and has coined the term "Original Six" for the original six teams that comprised the NHL during the leagues first 25-years. While almost all hockey fan can name the original six teams, I doubt many basketball fans know about much about the NBA's history. Heck, I bet most basketball fans don't realize the NBA was basically started by a group of hockey areana owners. Additionally, the "Original Six" still play in their same hometowns whereas the same cannot be said about the NBA's "Contracted Eight".

Problem is though people watch NBA games, as oppose to NHL games. So they have to be in peak performance ;)
The cable networks have invested big money in the NBA. Big enough that the tv packages lose money. The ratings...A typical NBA game gets about a 1 or 2 share.
NHL games get about 75% of that.
The NBA has been seeing sagging ratings for over a decade.
Attendance.....NBA and NHL attendance as represent by building capacity vs seats sold is actually higher for the NHL than the NBA.
Your statement is a childish response.
Using your logic, how do you explain the fact that NFL players often play with injuries that would be career ending for an NBA player.....Oh and now you're going to say something clever about the length of the NBA season being three times times that of the NFL...
Umm, you can stow that.
Let's face it. The NBA has no traditions because it never had any.

The cavs do this thing where they choke every year in the play offs...

;)

I dont know the Magic have the fat guy who runs around the Arena.. He paints himself all up and runs around the arena pumping up the crowd..
Magic choking at the free throw line everytime they make the finals

on the point of introductions, no sports team has as good as an intro as the Lakers

In the last couple of years there was a scientific poll of US fans favorite sport and the NHL beat the NBA as a percentage of favorite sport.

Back in 1980 baseball and football were tied for favorite, the NFL has smoked MLB since.

Here's an NBA tradition:

The introduction of the three-point shot
tradition - noun, the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice

Please explain how adding something new like the three-point shot qualifies as a tradition... :confused:

tradition - noun, the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice

Please explain how adding something new like the three-point shot qualifies as a tradition... :confused:

That would be a rule change. :D

The cable networks have invested big money in the NBA. Big enough that the tv packages lose money. The ratings...A typical NBA game gets about a 1 or 2 share.
Attendance.....NBA and NHL attendance as represent by building capacity vs seats sold is actually higher for the NHL than the NBA.
Using your logic, how do you explain the fact that NFL players often play with injuries that would be career ending for an NBA player.....Oh and now you're going to say something clever about the length of the NBA season being three times times that of the NFL...
Umm, you can stow that.

um, I think he was being just a little sarcastic.....

soooooooo serious.... :eek:

Umm, you can stow that.

No my statement was not childish it was a joke, hence the smilie. So get over it.

And sorry but Basketball is played by far more people and enjoyed viewing by far more people then the NHL. If the NHL was worth anything the TV stations would make room for it. Fact is, theyve had the NHL on networks before but the ratings were so bad they couldnt keep it.

How come whenever there is a NBA related thread, all the NHL fan boys come in here to bash the sport and tell us why the NHL is so much better than the NBA? What is this, a competition to see which is the 3rd least popular sport?! Come on kids. Grow up.

How come whenever there is a NBA related thread, all the NHL fan boys come in here to bash the sport and tell us why the NHL is so much better than the NBA? What is this, a competition to see which is the 3rd least popular sport?! Come on kids. Grow up.

It's worse for soccer fans. At some point someone will post the World Cup schedule for June, and there is a very good chance that thread will be deluged by people telling you soccer is a stupid sport. :rolleyes:

Sandra

In all fairness, this thread has NHL in the title too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)