An Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think they should turn them on anyways, the only people pointed at DirecTV 10 for the most part are those with HD, and only those with MPEG4 receivers will see the channels.

Then as they get their issue fixed some folks will lose the channels they are not subscribed to such as Starz HD.

"Then as they get their issue fixed some folks will lose the channels they are not subscribed to such as Starz HD."

and then they're gonna cry that Directv is teasing them with giving them all the channels and then removing them. Directv can't win and after reading some of the posts in both forums, they will never win.

I'm still shocked at one post on the other forum, the guy had promised his wife dinner on the night they were supossed to turn the HD channels on and he was contemplating cancelling dinner with his wife. WTH?

I think they should turn them on anyways, the only people pointed at DirecTV 10 for the most part are those with HD, and only those with MPEG4 receivers will see the channels.

Then as they get their issue fixed some folks will lose the channels they are not subscribed to such as Starz HD.

I guessing that whatever the problem is, it's preventing them from authorizing any receiver to see anything at all on the 103(b) transponders.

This would be the only thing I can think of that would have caused the embarassing "channel 498" failure this morning.

(Specifically, the card on channel 499 briefly said that if you see this card, install your BBC, make sure you then get "searching for signal" on 499 and then turn to 498 for another test. 498, ostensibly coming from D10, could not be seen by anybody, and was briefly mapped to a sports schedule in SD-MPEG2 on the 101 sat.)

All depends on your affiliate, you can't claim that their HD stinks everywhere.

I get NBC via OTA from the local affiliate (10) and an out-of-market affiliate (5) and the difference in PQ is like night and day with channel 5 making 10's HD look like SD. The sad thing is that of the "big 4" in my market (Knoxville) 10's PQ is actually in the top two (except for sports). Guess which one I watch? :)

I get NBC via OTA from the local affiliate (10) and an out-of-market affiliate (5) and the difference in PQ is like night and day with channel 5 making 10's HD look like SD. The sad thing is that of the "big 4" in my market (Knoxville) 10's PQ is actually in the top two (except for sports). Guess which one I watch? :)

Guess I'll have to start bugging my affiliate to fix their signal, then...

They should probably have planned to do this even without the technical issues. Sort of like those HBO/SHO/Starz free preview weekends. Show people what they are missing, in HD no less, and they may spring to upgrade their channel packages.

Just thinking back briefly, when I upgraded my HD Tivo to the new HD DVR and slimline, part of my deal was 3 free months of a premium channel. The CSR really tried to push Starz on me saying there would be like 5 Starz HD channels etc... I opted for Showtime (I subscribe to HBO) as I can get my 1 HD channel right away. I wanted to record season 3 of weeds anyways so it was an easy choice for me but man am I glad I took Showtime instead of listening to the CSR. By the time Starz HD is on D* my 3 months will have probably passed.

I also have a couple of friends with FiOS - and the PQ is definitely great. They also have some of the sub-channels on the system (at least here in NY).

I think the biggest issues are the DVRs, and the limited number of receivers that you can get (maxed out at 6 when I inquired).

They also have a poor sports channel offering.

So - like ALL OF THEM - there are very good points, AS WELL AS some not so good compared to the competition.

But PQ is not an issue in any way.

I just got the following in my inbox. Not sure how accurate the info is. I dont believe that this info came from the chat room.

Read into it what you will
103 CONUS Information
RHCP LHCP Broadcast Freq. L-Band Freq
1 2 18324MHz 274MHz
3 4 18364MHz 314MHz
5 6 18404MHz 354MHz
7 8 18444MHz 394MHz
9 10 18484MHz 434MHz
11 12 18524MHz 474MHz
13 14 18564MHz 514MHz
15 16 18604MHz 554MHz
17 18 18648MHz 588MHz
19 20 18692MHz 642MHz
21 22 18732MHz 682MHz
23 24 18776MHz 726MHz

Channel/Transponder Mappings (Most current, CONUS Only)
Txp 1
FX HD
The 101 HD
Speed HD
HBO West HD
Txp 2
Animal Planet HD
NESN HD
MTV HD
Nickelodeon East HD
Txp 3
MGM HD
Starz West HD
The Science Channel HD
Cinemax East HD
Txp 4
A&E HD
Starz Edge HD
Smithsonian HD
National Geographic HD

Txp 5
NFL Network HD
YES HD
NBA TV HD
FSN Prime Ticket HD
Txp 6
PPV 4
Tennis Channel HD
Showtime Too HD
Starz East HD
Txp 7
PPV2
NHL HD
Starz Comedy HD
History Channel HD
Showtime West HD
Txp 8
Biography HD
CSTV HD
FSN Detroit HD
PPV3

Txp 9
Spike TV HD
Starz Kids & Family HD
Big 10 HD
Cartoon Network HD
HGTV HD
Txp 10
MSG HD
Espn News HD
ABC Family HD
CNBC HDPPV5

Txp 11
PPV6
CSN Chicago
TLC HD
Weather Channel HD
TBS HD
Txp 12
PPV7
Versus HD
Bravo HD
CMT HD
Txp 13
OCC1
CSN Mid-Atlantic HD
Food Network HD
VH1 HD
Cinemax West HD
Txp 14
Outdoor Channel HD
SNY HD
Discovery HD
The Movie Channel

Txp 17
HDOCC2
FSNY HD
USA HD
SciFi HD
MHD

Txp 22
OCC4
Disney HD
Toon Disney HD
CNN HD

Only 4 HD/MPEG4 channels per transponder, they better look good. Thanks for the info.

Anybody know what the lowest signal strength is that will pull in a signal? I've gotta re-tweak the dish, but I still have some mid 60 readings.

Umm, several of those channels don't even broadcast in HD, so I guess they are just broadcasting SD version on an HD channel ?

I also have a couple of friends with FiOS - and the PQ is definitely great. They also have some of the sub-channels on the system (at least here in NY).

I think the biggest issues are the DVRs, and the limited number of receivers that you can get (maxed out at 6 when I inquired).

They also have a poor sports channel offering.

So - like ALL OF THEM - there are very good points, AS WELL AS some not so good compared to the competition.

But PQ is not an issue in any way.

Yes but you have more options with fios, you can use the latest hd tivo in most cases, which is much better than any other hd dvr any provider uses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts