Analog Cable in 2021

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My local utility company still operates both an analog and digital tier cable system in my area. They're dropping cable TV completely and going strictly VOIP and Internet only as of December 31. Programming fees are making the costs way too expensive on them, and they don't have the subscriber base to keep the service going.

Reactions: John2021
Northland seems to be the biggest operator with any significant analog systems left. Here's a recent clip someone uploaded to YouTube.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLr2mk2ffII

As for where I am in upstate NY, Spectrum has had us all-digital since Spring of 2018. Gotta pay 8.99 per box or use the streaming app. No more simple digital adapters like TWC had for a few bucks a month for their earliest analog transition markets. I understand the need for more of the available RF to be used for internet but it would have been nice if they left the locals or even just the Spectrum News channel in analog for secondary TVs. Alas, all good things must come to an end.

Northland seems to be the biggest operator with any significant analog systems left. Here's a recent clip someone uploaded to YouTube.

As for where I am in upstate NY, Spectrum has had us all-digital since Spring of 2018. Gotta pay 8.99 per box or use the streaming app. No more simple digital adapters like TWC had for a few bucks a month for their earliest analog transition markets. I understand the need for more of the available RF to be used for internet but it would have been nice if they left the locals or even just the Spectrum News channel in analog for secondary TVs. Alas, all good things must come to an end.

Slap a Firestick or Roku on those secondary TV's and use the Spectrum app to watch all of your plan programming. The app has to be side loaded on the Firestick since Spectrum doesn't support it.

They wouldn't even have to be in analog, it could be in an unencrypted digital format.
Even if it was just the first 12-14 channels that they had unencrypted and the rest needed a cable box.

I can't see paying $9 for a guest bedroom that is only occupied during the holidays.

Spectrum is just one of the three Internet providers I use. I did find out the limited analog service is no longer available. The local office said it's been replaced by a limited streaming service.
O belive that's there streaming essentials package 60 channels for 19.99 a month. It would be interesting to see what other fees are tacked on to that package. In my area the App is always crashing down..

They wouldn't even have to be in analog, it could be in an unencrypted digital format.
Even if it was just the first 12-14 channels that they had unencrypted and the rest needed a cable box.

I can't see paying $9 for a guest bedroom that is only occupied during the holidays.
With Spectrum don't forget the price hikes 3 times a year. Maybe get a chromecast or a roku box. Download the app and no box rental fees. And it would mirror to your current channel lineup if you have there video service with em.

Reactions: NashGuy
O belive that's there streaming essentials package 60 channels for 19.99 a month. It would be interesting to see what other fees are tacked on to that package. In my area the App is always crashing down..
I didn't ask what the available streaming packages are or the cost. I use the Spectrum app with a cable subscription login for a dear friend in an assisted living facility. Oddly, only one of the locals is available unless I'm using the Spectrum Internet service in her area. Not all of her programming is available either. I use a side loaded app on our Firesticks for Spectrum. For streaming most programming, if I don't have standalone apps for it I have DishAnywhere available from our other H2. The Spectrum account also works well with the Stremium app for all but the locals.

Reactions: John2021
When you're used to just flipping through analog cable channels and you're converting somebody over to having to use a "cable box" for the first time, it might be a tad bit daunting, especially for the older set.
Older people aren't necessarily incapable of learning to use new tools (although they may have their minds set agaist it). Everyone is having to get used to wireless phones so why not streaming boxes?

You do not have to rent a cable box, you can get everything via a app on a Roku, but the $17.99 is true ( I get Charter’s 1 gig broadband), I get the ads about once a week, advertising $44.99, then the fine print $17.99 for Broadcast Channels, another $5 for sports, another charge for DVR.

Add it all up and it costs more than what I pay to YTTV ($65) for everything.
I thought it was a 9.99 rsn fee and not a 5.00 fee for rsns. Dvr fee is 12.99 for a crappy 4 tuner dvr box plus the 8.99 rental fee. Though there's no way in he'll I would pay the 199 I stall fee for there crappy gig service!!! I been using a verizon 5G jet pack and have been hitting 2GBPS down and 700 mbps up.

have you thought of a tivo and some minis if those are needed. you can rent the cable card and tuning adaptor from spectrum for 2.00 a month. instead of paying spectrums extortion fees..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)