Analog cut off date...then what for OTA?

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
Here is my question, I have a 522 that is connected to both my OTA and to the dish on the roof. I then feed both OTA signal and the satellite signal over one cable to 2 other tvs in my house. I do not have local service where I live, yet?!?!? Anyways, once the OTA reception cuts over to digital, how will I feed digital OTA service to all the TVs in my home? Would you use a converter box attached to the 522?

As far as I know the 522s OTA tuner is already Digital so you don't have to do anything, except maybe rescan the local stations after the switch.

Some stations are moving off of the UHF band and down to their VHF channel. This affects mostly stations 7 thru 13. Stations 2 thru 6 will most likely stay in the UHF band.

Scott

As far as I know the 522s OTA tuner is already Digital so you don't have to do anything, except maybe rescan the local stations after the switch.
Scott

The 522 doesn't have an OTA tuner. It's just a pass-through for the RF output.

The OP will need a converter box on any non-ATSC set, including the one connected to the 522.

If you have satalite or cable tv, then you don't have to worry about anything. If you do not have sat or cable, ONLY TV ANTENNA to get the locals, you need a Digital Box to get the signals.

I try using the Digital Box and it is worse then the TV antenna. There are some channels I can barely see with a weaker signal. When I hook up the Digital Box, those barely watch channels are gone.

Just get Dish/Direct or cable to get locals instead.

The advantage to getting your locals via an OTA antenna:

-You get all the subchannels.
-You may get more locals than the satco sends out.
-You can get some scheduling data from the transmitted PSIP (ViP receivers screen this out).
-Some OTA DVRs have scheduling data from TVGuide or similar, such as the Sonys. So you can record about as easily as with satellite DVRs.
-Depending upon various factors, your OTA signal may produce better PQ & AQ than what the satco provides.
-No monthly fees.

Will the new OTA box from Dish that has the recorder built in work for translating it to digital for older TVs or will it only work on newere digital TV's.
when it comes out? I think its TR50?

It would have advantage of recording OTA

Hey a new myth... like we don't have enough already... the truth (look it up) is:

The majority of analog broadcasts in the USA are exempt from the Feb 09 change.

Only large stations have to switch to digital. In rural areas served by repeaters and low power channels, all their analog channels will still be there in March 2009.

There will be some reeaters and low powered urban stations allowed to broadcast in analob bit many of them are changing over. I also a amazed that the majoity of TV broadcasting in the US falls into this category bu i will take your word for it.

1. This is posted in the Dish Network forum so I assume the OP has a Dish receiver visible to all TVs. No Dish receiver has an issue with OTA analog going away because the ones that have tuners, have ATSC digital tuners.

2. Just like anyone that is receiving OTA analog, he will require one or more converters, if the local stations convert to digital.

3. If you live in an area where Dish doesn't offer local stations, you can go to www.mydistantnetworks.com and get the locals from Atlanta and San Francisco for your Dish receivers.

I try using the Digital Box and it is worse then the TV antenna. There are some channels I can barely see with a weaker signal. When I hook up the Digital Box, those barely watch channels are gone.

In most cases I've seen, the new digital channel mappings are UHF. Since most combination antennas are somewhat poor for UHF reception you will probably benefit from a dedicated UHF-only antenna and perhaps a mast mount preamplifier. I think a lot of people are going to forget about this when they convert. I made this change myself and get all 28 channels (including sub-channels) strong and stable about 50 miles away. Before changing the antenna I could only get five ATSC channels. As an added benefit the UHF only antenna is much smaller and less of an eyesore on the roof.

Bob

There are many rural areas that have weak analog OTA coverage (that people ARE watching now) that will NOT be able to get digital OTA.
Example : my DMA is over 70 miles away with only -113db to -118db signal. Which means virtally no digital OTA reception.

Hey a new myth... like we don't have enough already... the truth (look it up) is:

The majority of analog broadcasts in the USA are exempt from the Feb 09 change.

Only large stations have to switch to digital. In rural areas served by repeaters and low power channels, all their analog channels will still be there in March 2009.

Ok, I did. From the FCC website (emphasis mine):

The digital television (DTV) transition refers to the switch from analog to digital broadcast television. Congress has mandated that after February 17, 2009, full-power television stations will stop broadcasting in analog, and will continue broadcasting in digital only. While the majority of consumers in the U.S. can receive the programming of full-power over-the-air stations, there are three other categories of broadcast TV stations - "low-power," "Class A," and "translator" stations. There is currently no statutory deadline for these stations to convert to digital broadcasting.

While the February 17, 2009 deadline for ending analog broadcasts does not apply to low-power, Class A, and TV translator stations, the FCC will require these stations to convert to digital broadcasting sometime thereafter. More than 2,100 of these stations have been authorized to construct digital facilities and some are broadcasting in digital already. The FCC is currently considering the remaining issues involved with the low-power digital transition and will make decisions regarding these stations in the future

So while the majority of "broadcasts" (based on number of licensed transmitters) may be exempt, the overwhelming majority of consumers will be affected and required to get a DTV converter for their analog sets.

I know that I will be affected, and I am in a rural area. How do I know this? The station is running a ticker telling people that we will be affected and that we need to get a converter to continue to receive our antenna programming. I was just wondering if the 522 had an ota tuner or not and if I need a converter box for the two televisions on TV 2 that do not have digital tuners. Thanks for your help!

3. If you live in an area where Dish doesn't offer local stations, you can go to www.mydistantnetworks.com and get the locals from Atlanta and San Francisco for your Dish receivers.

My DMA has 2 CBS, 2 NBC, 2 ABC, 2 FOX and 2 PBS stations. They simucast (sp) stuff but each station (with the exception of PBS) offers their own local newscasts. Currently Dish carries ONE ABC, NBC and PBS in my DMA and each of them is from the far city, none are the "local" newscasts. Thanks for your help tough!

I know that I will be affected, and I am in a rural area. How do I know this? The station is running a ticker telling people that we will be affected and that we need to get a converter to continue to receive our antenna programming. I was just wondering if the 522 had an ota tuner or not and if I need a converter box for the two televisions on TV 2 that do not have digital tuners. Thanks for your help!

Tyhe 522 does not have an OTA tuner of any kind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts