analog feeds still going strong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

htownjoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2007
splendora tx
i still flip through the analog sats everyday and catch tons of feeds, i am curious if any or many of you still watch analog feeds? i have noted every channel i have seen feeds on and have noted 105 ch or tps analog that still have occasional feeds, so still a bunch up there analog to view.

Not really, but I do look occassionally through them myself. And the one channel I probably watch the most, would be the University Network. For some reason, every time I go by this channel, I wind up spending an hour or so on it, regardless of whether it's the analog one on AMC3 or the digital one on T6...... Now I will (and do) watch a sports backhaul from analog, particularly if it's a college game.

Al

Most of the analog feeds during the day are syndicated shows that either I can see on my local channels or I could care less about :)

But I do watch a fair amount of analog feeds for sports related thigns

yeah i watch dr scott at times too. never know what you will hear on that channel. i like a few shows on it like simpsons,springer,and king of the hill too, but if you ever catch t6 in the morning you will find lots of feeds and some crazy stuff! also nasa feeds and a few games too,as well as an abc channel and some horse racing too.

watch the most, would be the University Network.

Ms. Scott announced last month (August 07) that she is bound and determined to "move into the digital age" and with that - abandon C band transmissions, concentrate on keeping the Ku going.
No timeframe was mentioned.

Ms. Scott announced last month (August 07) that she is bound and determined to "move into the digital age" and with that - abandon C band transmissions, concentrate on keeping the Ku going.
No timeframe was mentioned.

Thats odd why not just do digital C-band?

I'd guess costs. They aren't doing too well since the old guy died.
THere was some blather about C band being dead technology.

Sounds like they are confusing analog with c-band, analog is definitely very expensive to use, on c-band or ku-band it is still expensive, going digital will save them a lot of money if it's on c or ku.

i still flip through the analog sats everyday and catch tons of feeds, i am curious if any or many of you still watch analog feeds? i have noted every channel i have seen feeds on and have noted 105 ch or tps analog that still have occasional feeds, so still a bunch up there analog to view.

I wouldn't be surprised if analog was totally gone by the end of next year....with the way all of television is moving towards digital and the regular OTA television move from analog and digital set to be completed by the early part of 2009.

Analog

Analog is not going away anytime soon. It may be expensive for transponder lease time but the equipment cost for digital uplinking is still pretty expensive. I am sure as the years pass a analog feed will be rare but it is not happening anytime soon.

well although i don't have a digital tv yet , my sd sets are all running strong and i'm not sure i'm ready to jump to HD just because OTA has been mandated to go that route. my pc does the HD and my SD sets are both about 16 years old. i know they will eventually fail but until then i'm moving slowly toward HD. now my analog receiver is going strong on feeds. so i suspect that as long as the equipment is out there to transmit it ...... will be there ( speaking of analog c-band) now this isn't saying i wouldn't like a HD set .... i just haven't dropped down the big bux :)

As far as I'm concerned all those HDTVs are sure nice in the store, prices dropping all the time. But, I like the old TV shows, all programs like RTN airs, all in SD. For me it just doesn't make sense to switch just yet. Maybe when more FTA goes HD. I refuse to pay extra for HD programming. Fine if it's included like many of my movie channels. I think the nets should be free like OTA. The sponsors should be enough if I own the equipment for commercial feeds like those on G16.

I will ride out analog until the very last signal is to be found up there.

While analog transponder space maybe expensive to rent....and the equipment may be expensive....prices have gotta come down sometime. I remember reading where transponder space in the 1970s was expensive as all get out...then dropped with time as more satellites hit the skies.

Analog has been on a downhill trend since all the DVB and Digicipher hit the markets. Videocipher is evident of this...at this time 20 years ago, the technology was still taking off, and we were filled with encrypted feeds....Videocipher I and II, B-Mac, Oak Orion. Look at it now...B-Mac, VCI and the original VC2, and Orion have long vanished from the skies, and VC2+ has dwindled down to a handful of services, and even that is on its way out. If I recall correctly, there hasn't been a VC2+/RS descrambler module made in years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Analog was dead within the next couple of years entirely....

analog is still cool! i still find those feeds with no one around for an hour! i actually caught a four hr feed of someones house and yard and kept flipping back to it til finally the screen went off! have no idea what that was all about and also caught a mexican police chase with exchanged gunfire, no volume, just video, and finally the camera went out! dont know what happened! maybe some broken glass! but like you said it takes so much less time to scan analog which i go from amc 4 to amc 6 and hit about 8 or 9 sats which only takes a few minutes without stopping, it takes that long to scan two digital satellites, sometimes g3 or t6 takes that long! i will miss analog when its gone! maybe they can make a new system for dvb that can scan the same way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts