Analog Ku 97W Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
While I am messing around learning how to use my FTA receiver to its fullest, I thought I'd like to try another project tonight for fun.

According to Lyngsat, there are 2 feeds:
(feeds) 11796 H tp4 NTSC
(InSight feeds) 11960 V tp13 NTSC

If there is nothing on those feeds currently, guess I won't be doing the project tonight. To lazy to move the fixed dish. But definitely want to try it Wednesday when I get the motorized 90cm working.

I have a Pansat 2700A. I got ahold of an old analog receiver, not even for sure if it works.GLR 560 Automation Techniques, Inc. It is all knobs, push buttons, and meters with the needle. :D A dinosaur. This is definitely not going to be the Analog receiver I consistantly use. But would it work?

If so, run the satellite to the Analog receiver, then to the Pansat, and out to the TV? What else would I do to hit those feeds? I don't know what I am doing as far as using 2 receivers to achieve the task.

Thanks....

taelon721 said:
If so, run the satellite to the Analog receiver, then to the Pansat, and out to the TV? What else would I do to hit those feeds? I don't know what I am doing as far as using 2 receivers to achieve the task.

Thanks....

I recommend one thing although I'm not the expert. I would make the digital receiver first in line, then slave from the digital to your analog. Chances are you MAY (keyword) MAY need a DC block between your analog receiver's input and the loop out of the digital receiver. PSB (Pete) has better insight on that.

Remember, whatever polarity you have set on the master receiver, that is the polarity being set for the analog. So, if you want an easy way around this....find 2 channels on your digital receiver that you can go back and forth from with horizontal and vertical. Switch between the 2 channels based on what you wish to have viewed on your analog unit. I'm very wordy but yet again, PSB and/or Iceberg can sum it up better.

Right! I use my DVB receiver as the master and to motor the dish and the analog receiver as the slave. I also have the DVB World USB receiver slaved off the DVB receiver using a simple A/B switch!

those feeds aren't there. I've never seen anything on those :(

But as mentioned above, run the analog (slave it) from the digital box. Most analog boxes can't control a LNBF and you'll just get the H polarity

john green said:
I just scanned IA5 analog.Nothing there right now.

Ok. Thanks for checking. I guess I will wait to do this project towards next weekend when I get the motorized dish going then.

Iceberg said:
But as mentioned above, run the analog (slave it) from the digital box. Most analog boxes can't control a LNBF and you'll just get the H polarity

What about the DC block that Techno935 mentioned? Might I need it, and what does it do?

I think I am starting to understand Analog. Is there a satellite that has a Ku Analog channel besides feeds to test this out?

As far as Analog Ku feeds, can you blind scan for feeds, or do you input them by hand using Lyngsat data?

Thanks....

A DC blocker is a one way voltage blocker, when installed voltage can only go in one direction (out of your receiver) stopping voltage from entering your receiver and damaging it.

With analog there are 24 transponders, so you just scan through each transponder one at a time to catch any feeds.

PSB said:
A DC blocker is a one way voltage blocker, when installed voltage can only go in one direction (out of your receiver) stopping voltage from entering your receiver and damaging it.

So, basically, I should put one on just to be on the safe side.........

2 ways to see if voltage is coming from any cable:

1. Use a voltmeter and set it to DC. Chances are it may not read it. In that case.

2. Stick the cable on your tongue and perform the 9 volt test. If your tongue is zapped, then there is voltage! :D

Long story short, your analog receiver does NOT need voltage...as far as I can see. Correct me if i'm wrong Ice.

Last edited:
Yes its a good idea to use a DC blocker when slaving two receivers together, especially if you are ever having issues!

Don't think its a good idea to put your tongue on a cable coming from a receiver, 13 or 18v DC will not feel too good! Not to mention if there is a grounding problem with the receiver then its fatal.

PSB said:
Yes its a good idea to use a DC blocker when slaving two receivers together, especially if you are ever having issues!

Don't think its a good idea to put your tongue on a cable coming from a receiver, 13 or 18v DC will not feel too good! Not to mention if there is a grounding problem with the receiver then its fatal.

I think I have learned enough to try this.... I think.... :D

Will, try when the motorized goes up this week.

Thanks....

techno935 said:
1. Use a voltmeter and set it to DC. Chances are it may not read it. In that case.

2. Stick the cable on your tongue and perform the 9 volt test. If your tongue is zapped, then there is voltage! :D

Hey, Techno935. How often do you try option 2 just for fun, even if you have the voltage meter around? :D

The analog doesn't need voltage because the loop out of the Digital box supplies the voltage (and polarity)

Iceberg said:
The analog doesn't need voltage because the loop out of the Digital box supplies the voltage (and polarity)

In general though, most analog boxes (old ones) DON'T use voltage right?

taelon721 said:
Hey, Techno935. How often do you try option 2 just for fun, even if you have the voltage meter around? :D

My uncle taught me that trick when I was young. Learned it the hard way. If a 9 volt tastes "salty" then it's good. LOL

Tron said:
They're on yellow tag clearance here, which probably means they'll no longer restock them once they're gone.

Radio Shack sucks when it comes to parts. They're becoming just like Best Buy and Circuit City....a whole bunch of consumer end parts and no important parts us FTA'ers use.

you should see them here in Canada, they renamed themselvees to 'the source' and its basically a 'as seen on tv' store, garbage junk novelties everywhere. its not the same store it was 10yr ago :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)