Analog question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skitheberks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
CT
In my area I have on analog a WFSB-TV channel 3 (CBS - Hartford, CT). A few years ago Springfield, MA started a CBS affiliate also advertised as channel 3. For DTV, 3.1 is Hartford, 3.2 is Springfield's CBS and 3.3 is the weather loop from WFSB in Hartford. If you have analog and live in Springfield, MA you will get the WFSB from Hartford. There is no channel 3 broadcasting in Springfield. They do carry a different local news & local ads.

The newest is a Fox 6. This is Springfield, MA's FOX affiliate. If you go to analog 6, there is no signal. It shows on DTV as 40.2, where The Tube use to be. 40.1 is WGGB, the Springfield MA ABC channel.

My question is why are these channels promoted like broadcast channels when they do not exist on analog on the channels that they say they are on?

stupidity?

perceived stupidity of the viewers, or actual stupidity of the station owners?

who knows.

In my area I have on analog a WFSB-TV channel 3 (CBS - Hartford, CT).

The newest is a Fox 6. This is Springfield, MA's FOX affiliate. If you go to analog 6, there is no signal.

My question is why are these channels promoted like broadcast channels when they do not exist on analog on the channels that they say they are on?

Is FOX on cable channel 6? WFSB has an analog LPTV station in Holyoke. It's on UHF channel 67. It will move to channel 41 for DTV.

I don't see anything stupid about it. They are simply trying to build brand image in the minds of MA viewers. There is already a broadcast analog Ch.6 not too far away so they cannot literally use that frequency now. But they can broadcast elsewhere and let the tumer map it to low number that is easily remembered. Fox 6 is just easier to remember than Fox 67 or 41. Besides 41 might be confused with the existing channel 40.

but this is not that uncommon. There are lots of regional cable channels that request placement at a specific place--(e.g Newschannel 8 in the DC area) They are just

BTW I could be wrong but I think that WFSB---3 has had a low powered station in Holyoke for some time and the new digital subchannel is just a rebroadcast of that. That station has always called itself Channel 3 even though it is broadcast on UHF. Since it is low powered (less than 2 kw I believe) I suspect that few people can receive it OTA---unless maybe they live on Mt. Tom. Again the cable companies in MA were probably providing it as Channel 3.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)