Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
I went hunting for the NBC stuff on AMC 18 a couple nights ago and was able to find it no problem by bumping my dish between previously saved locations, but I haven't been able to figure out how to save this new satellite location at 105W into my Toshiba 1820. Up to this point I have been able to aim using my old previously entered sat locations, except for a new one, G23 @ 121W. I was able to save this one by finding the analog Jewelry Channel on tp21, and when I entered my "new" satellite designation (named it G2 since I'm limited to 1 letter and 1 number) the receiver did it's Auto Antenna/Auto Skew routine, peaked that location and saved it. Is it even possible to save a new location if there is no analog signal to lock onto? No big deal, as I now know how to find it by trail and error, just wondering if it could be done? :confused:

well i use this chart as a template it shows ku names & c-band satellite chart

my old GI receiver would save it where you wanted. but you could also tune with the analog receiver and watch the DVB receiver ( to tune with) . Thats a neat trick too. :)

well i use this chart as a template it shows ku names & c-band satellite chart

my old GI receiver would save it where you wanted. but you could also tune with the analog receiver and watch the DVB receiver ( to tune with) . Thats a neat trick too. :)

thanks gabshere, you pointed me to that chart a while back and it is part of my sheaf of papers that I have been keeping close at hand when playing with my new toy. Looking at my Toshiba manual I see that I have a sat location at 105W for the old G-STAR 2 on Ku band, but I have never had Ku on this system and I guess since it was never entered into the receiver setup it won't be accepted when I try to enter it. I'm just glad I was able to find that sat it in the first place, receive a good signal and can get back to it if I want to. :)

Think I'd start with the Toshiba first, just because I have a 1520 and I like the way it sets up. Has good video, and does that 'autopeak' thing which is cool.
Put it on a satellite, find a signal someplace and then it steps the motor back and forth in tiny increments to get the best signal, then does the same with the polarity setting. I think it will have some of the positions stored already, you may have to give them current names (if it lets you rename, I forget).

turbo, I copied the above post from another thread, it is pertinent to what I am trying to figure out in this thread........

My Toshiba TRX-1820 does the same autopeak routine, and as long as I can find an analog signal, I know how to name and save that location. Is it possible to save a satellite location with this model receiver if there is no analog signal to autopeak on?

There are a couple of locations I don't have pre-programmed, but would like to save. I have located and scanned FTA signals at those locations, so I know I am pointing the dish correctly, just can't figure out how to save that location. I have no experience with any other analog receivers and assume that with older receivers that you skewed and pointed the dish "manually....then the receiver would save whatever location you "told it" was correct?

I may be missing something but it seems to me that this autopeak deal was a wonderful feature when clear analog signals were available on most all satellites, but now that they are few and far between I wish there was a way to override the autopeak, just point the dish arbitrarily, give that location a name and lock it in. Any thoughts or comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jody

I believe I finally figured this deal out, amazing what reading the instructions (over & over) will do for a feller. :D

There IS a way to defeat the autopeaking feature on the Toshiba, and that was the key. When I was trying to enter a new satellite location (that had no analog signal to lock onto) the autopeak would start moving the dish one way or the other trying to find a signal and it would either drift off the location I wanted and eventually "quit looking", or I think it would find something on an adjacent satellite and stop there. I've also figured out how to enter a freq & SR into the Visionsat manually and bump my dish (with the Toshiba) to max out the digital signal, then I can lock the location into the Toshiba.

One small step for a true Satellite Guy is a giant leap for phlatwound....but I'm learning and enjoying every minute!

Last edited:
phlat=glad you figured it out, took me awhile to see your message!!! (its been storming round here and I havent been on the net for a few hours)
I haven't played with the toshiba in a while so I had forgot how to do that too-it's hooked up in the den so the rest of the house can watch TNT & Law and Order to death. So it never has to move off that satellite ,haha.

phlat=glad you figured it out, took me awhile to see your message!!! (its been storming round here and I havent been on the net for a few hours)
I haven't played with the toshiba in a while so I had forgot how to do that too-it's hooked up in the den so the rest of the house can watch TNT & Law and Order to death. So it never has to move off that satellite ,haha.

Thanks turbosat, it was a good feeling to figure that one out! I can't really even blame it on a poorly written Users Manual, the info was there, just took a while to penetrate my thick noggin. I knew what the equipment was doing, even knew why it was doing it, just couldn't figure out how to make it stop. I enjoy a challenge and this satellite hobby caper is delivering that in spades, I think I'm hooked.

:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)