Analog reception - did they "mislead" me?

lwgray

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Augusta, GA
I sent a couple of questions to Voom support before I ordered yesterday, and one of them was about whether or not there was any OTA reception of analog stations. We only really have one that we watch with any regularity (the WB).
The support email came back that "analog reception requires an antenna upgrade".

True or false?

Thanks!

False. An antenna is designed to received RF signals in either the VHF spectrum (channels 2-13), UHF spectrum (channels 14-69) or both (channels 2-69) - is does not care if the signals are analog or digital...just VHF of UHF.

RF, by definition, is analog in nature, but it is capable of carrying a digitally encoded signal (i.e., 8-VSB) and presenting the signal to your receiver. The VOOM STB has an 8-VSB module which makes it capable of decoding digital OTA signals and displaying then on your TV.

Depending on the power-level of your local WB station and the frequencies of your local digital channels, your may very well need an upgraded antenna is order to receive that particular station....however, VOOM Support is mixing apples & oranges because the VOOM receiver cannot process analog OTA signals.

NTSC has been the standard for analog TV reception for 50+ years whereas ATSC (using 8-VSB) is the standard for digital TV reception in the U.S. Your TV will have a built-in NTSC tuner which will allow you to watch your analog WB channel. You will need to split your OTA signal and run one line to the VOOM receiver (for digital) and the other line to your TVs VHF/UHF or Cable input. Of course, you will have to be careful if they installer is using a diplexer. If you have an existing OTA antenna that already receives the WB channel in questions, then you may be wish to reuse that antenna with VOOM or use it in parallel with the VOOM provided OTA antenna.

Lastly, I don't feel the VOOM Support Agent lied to you. They generally try their best, but like all minimally paid call centers (sweat shops!) they don't always have the knowledges & skills to accurately answer your questions. Just call the IRS and ask for clarification on the tax code. :eek: Everyone should come to the VOOM Forum since collectively we are the defacto experts on all matters VOOM. :rolleyes:

Good luck...

I never understood why the VOOM Receiver doesnt pick up any anolog sigs when it comes to OTA. I mentioned this a while ago and alot of people said because it doesnt need to or Voom's not based on that format. I understand VOOM is not based on anolog...but for the people like myself who cant get all the digital OTA stations, it would be nice to pick those anolog ch's up. My old as sin Directv HD receiver scans for anolog and digital OTA ch's...why cant VOOM's? I guess you could always split your OTA Ant or put another OTA Ant up just to receive the anolog OTA ch's that you dont receive digitally...but Voom could have made it easier for people in areas that dont have the ability to catch all of their digital OTA ch's by simply allowing the receiver to scan for anolog also. Its simple ...and if my DTV HD receiver can do it (which is like I said very old)...so could VOOM's. Especially since they dont offer local ch's on their Sat.

vinnyv07 said:
I never understood why the VOOM Receiver doesnt pick up any anolog sigs when it comes to OTA. I mentioned this a while ago and alot of people said because it doesnt need to or Voom's not based on that format. I understand VOOM is not based on anolog...but for the people like myself who cant get all the digital OTA stations, it would be nice to pick those anolog ch's up. My old as sin Directv HD receiver scans for anolog and digital OTA ch's...why cant VOOM's? I guess you could always split your OTA Ant or put another OTA Ant up just to receive the anolog OTA ch's that you dont receive digitally...but Voom could have made it easier for people in areas that dont have the ability to catch all of their digital OTA ch's by simply allowing the receiver to scan for anolog also. Its simple ...and if my DTV HD receiver can do it (which is like I said very old)...so could VOOM's. Especially since they dont offer local ch's on their Sat.
Here is my take on the matter:

1. It would be a huge pain the arse to integrate into the PG. I guess they could just provide the connection and make no promises, however I'm sure a fair number would complain.

2. If you offer an analog tuner, I get the feeling people would expect to receive all their analog locals. I think they already have enough problems with troubleshooting reception of the local digitals.

3. It may not have been a design consideration and it would cost too much $$$ to go back and add an NTSC tuner in each and every STB. Also, I feel most people will split their OTA line and run one line to the VHF/UHF input on their TV.

I would be happy if I could just get the guide for the few digital stations I do get. They told me that Im mapped to the north and any station south of me I cant get the guide for which includes the only NBC channel, so I have to use TIVO to see whats on it. Tivo doesn't have a problem providing the guide for ALL the Analog stations I can receive and since NBC shows the same thing on the Analog as digital, I have to switch back and forth to see whats on. A pain.
Most of the stations to the north are too week to receive.

larrylwill said:
I would be happy if I could just get the guide for the few digital stations I do get. They told me that Im mapped to the north and any station south of me I cant get the guide for which includes the only NBC channel, so I have to use TIVO to see whats on it. Tivo doesn't have a problem providing the guide for ALL the Analog stations I can receive and since NBC shows the same thing on the Analog as digital, I have to switch back and forth to see whats on. A pain.
Most of the stations to the north are too week to receive.
VOOM/Motorola have been working on what has been called a Super DMA Map (aka Mega DMA Map), which you can manually add DMAs for those of us who are near 2 more or more DMAs. For example, I am mapped to Washington DC (55+ miles north) since my mailing address if part of the DC DMA. Of course, my physical address indicates that I am likely to receive programming from Richmond VA (51+ miles south) or Charlottesville (53+ miles southwest). The truth of the matter is I have two antennas: one receives programming from Richmond and Charlottesville and the other receives programming from DC and Baltimore (90+ miles). Needless to say, the DC locals are fully integrated into my PG. And while I pick-up the other stations during a manual scan, they don't list any information in the PG - the Super/Mega DMA Map is supposed to take care of this. Here are some useful posts:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29426&highlight=super+dma
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39054
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23588&highlight=super+dma

If you have specific questions then you need to post your location (zipcode will suffice). I have learned to deal with deep-fringe/weak signal issues, but posting questions in the VOOM "In Your Area" Forum will get you in tough with the OTA experts in your specific DMA.

Thanks for that info. I have an OTA antenna with rotor on a 50ft tower on a 22ft high deck. I live about 60 miles from Montgomery Al and 60 Miles from Dothan. According to antennaweb the Montgomery CBS station is 36 miles and the Dothan NBC station is 56 miles. I get both even from the back side of the antenna. I also get about 5 different PBS stations from different areas. I was using a Unity Motion OTA receiver before I got Voom. I have to say that the Voom OTA tuner is much more sensitive and locks more stations.
I also have a 4DTV C-Band receiver that was made by Motorola, which is the worst designed piece of electronics I have ever used. My 15 year old C-Band receiver has more features and is more human engineered than the Moto. I also see that Moto used the same IR codes for Voom. So every I turn on Voom or change stations my 4DTV also turns on and changes stations. I have NO faith in Moto at all. I also see that they are in negoations to sell their electronics division off. I doubt we'll ever see a super DMA map as long as Moto has any say in it. We still don't have some promised features to the 4DTV that they promised years ago and the guide that they provide is last in line, under DTV, Dish, Tivo, Replay and frequently has problems. Ill take bets that we won't see a DVR for Voom for years if its being designed by Moto.

I signed up for the 6 month plan with Voom. If they dont add the promissed stations and a DVR by June Ill be dumping it. So far Im not impressed with their programming and the cheap stations (like HGTV, TLC, DIS etc) are 10 times clearer and sharper over C-Band than Voom. I would place Voom behind DTV in clarity of those channels. Maby on a small TV they are OK but not on a 61"

riffjim4069 said:
Here is my take on the matter:

1. It would be a huge pain the arse to integrate into the PG. I guess they could just provide the connection and make no promises, however I'm sure a fair number would complain.
I agree about the PG....they cant even seem to get their own ch's programming correct.

3. It may not have been a design consideration and it would cost too much $$$ to go back and add an NTSC tuner in each and every STB. Also, I feel most people will split their OTA line and run one line to the VHF/UHF input on their TV.
Now its too late...I was just wondering why they didnt either provide a NTSC tuner from the beggining or just provide locals to everyone in their area. Voom really is an incomplete service without locals. Dont get me wrong ...even though I dont receive all my locals OTA , I still would rather them add more HD ch's like INHD or improve their PQ then add locals for every area. I have Directv and watch WB, WNET, WNBCDT through their service.

Proceed with Caution...

Larrylwill,

It appears that you already have a pretty good handle on your OTA reception issues. The VOOM Alabama thread can be located at: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10072

I'll probably live to regret this, but there was a guy in your neck of the woods who had a similar setup and issues - located 70 miles from Birmingham and 50 miles from Huntsville. The gentleman's name is rkr0923 and I must warn you in advance that he is a VOOM hater and is NTB. I'll refer you to the following post and let you be the judge as to whether this gentleman may provide you with any useful information:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20526

Thanks but no.
I can understand the guys frustration though. My first look at Voom was at Sears. What a stupid marketing strategy. They couldn't find dumber salesmen or a worst place to show what they had. Best Buy or Circuit City at least most of the time has salesman that know what HD is and what is available. Sears doesn't have a clue. I'm not alone on this the 4DTV group has had similar results.

The next thing is although the installer was ok, they don't know anything about HD either. I had to coxe them to even put up the antenna because they said I couldn't get the picture from my location because there were trees in the way. We ended up putting it on the roof, laying the wire on the roof and I drilled a hole in my brick wall to get it in the house. They didn't even tape the wire to my antenna tower coming off the roof and then took the 2 extra coax cables for the hook up with them when they left. The only thing they did was mount the dish with 2 screws, aim it and drop the wire. I did everything else. WHY couldn't I install it myself???? Stupid. I almost did but they got paid.

Then 2 calls I had to make to Voom tech support about the locals and no guide. 1/2 hour wait for the first call. The first woman told me it was the FCC's fault that I couldn't get the guide for Ch 4 Dothan not theirs, that Ch 4 didn't provide a guide because I was out of their viewing area, (like they know where I live). I called again, 20 min wait and got a knowledgeable guy that explained the mapping problem and why I would NOT get the guide. Another stupid decision by Voom. I get the guide from Tivo without problems.

Then there's the receiver.
No searchable guide, even the first DTV had this feature. This is a Biggie.
NO analog TV tuner and NO pass through for the antenna connection. DUMB!!!!

I see 4 MAJOR problems with Voom. Their marketing, their technology, the lack of qualified knowledgeable people and programming. Sears and Motorola. What a combo.

I think Motorola has about the worst designed electronics equipment in the marketplace. I have a 4DTV, what a piece of crap. and Motorola's promises, promises, promises. I wouldn't expect to see a DVR anytime in the next 3 years unless they hire a new company to design it. I doubt Motorola can deliver and if they do it will be the klunkest DVR on the market. (my opinion)

I think at this time most of the HD marketplace is techies and most of who know more about HD than Voom.

I wanted Voom because I thought I could mearge all my junk into one box to make the wife happy and not have to keep switching sources.

If they had a DVR with a searchable database aka Tivo, an analog tuner, and the guide info for all the channels we could receive, analog and digital, and all the cheap stations and PPV aka DTV we would have something that would do it. One otherthing that would be nice would be the ability to display 4:3 pictures in native resoulation NOT streatched or letterbox. Right now If I choose boxed or whatever its called I get bars at the top and sides, so I get a 32" pictur on my 61" TV and if I choose streatch I get letterbox streatch, not pretty. Now I have to use the Svideo output and another TV input. To View everything thats not in HD or it looks worse than DTV.

If Voom doesn't add those 70 channels before my 6 month commitment is up in May 2005 or deliver the promised DVR, Ill be gone also. Voom is a great idea with bad execution.

Now I fell better.

4DTV, Uniden Ultra, 2 C-Band dishes, DTV Tivo, DBS, Coship 3188C, Unity Motion 1000A HD receiver. Toshiba 61" HDTV, SA Tivo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)