Analog sat finder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scruphy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Arlington, tx
I am new to FTA and I have a 36" Fortec star dish and Nfusion Solaris receiver. When I try to get a signal with my sat finder I have it adj. to 5 and nudge the dish around, tiny bits at a time. Nothing happens at first, then after I have moved it quite a bit the signal pegs the meter and can't be adjusted down. And there is low Q and S on the TV. Am I doing something wrong, or picking up some interference? I am trying to get Echostar 8, it requires a linear LNB, right? So much to learn, but its fun.

Huh?

I don't understand why that last reply was posted. I am not trying to steal anything, just to point my dish. Echostar 10.11 might be a good choice.

There is nothing available on Echostar 8 or 10/11 except for a couple barker channels on 10/11. That is why glen4cindy posted what he did. Those sats require a circular lnbf anyway.

Welcome to Satellite Guys = where true Free to air information is what we dispense. Anything on the Echostar birds (except NASA and Angelone) is subscription only. Therefore, Echostar satellites are seldom discused.

Do you have a linear LNBF? And what channels or kind of programing are you trying to get? With those answers we will be glad to help you.

Being a newbie, asking an inocent question can get anyone in trouble. So answer the above two questions and then READ, READ, READ. Even look back a couple of years in the forums.

If you have the kinds of problems I seem to have with computers I understand some of the confussion. ( I still can not figure out how to search!)

Shows?

Echostar was on the List, so it seemed innocent. I am not a sports buff, I like scifi and comedy, the usual stuff I guess, and the occasional murder mystery.

To answer your initial question, there are two parts to lining up.

1. Use of the analog meter tells you that your on a Sat (Not WHICH sat but one one of them)
Measuring elevation and checking azimuth gets you in the ballpark. I'm usually 4 degrees of where I want to be.

2. You need to make sure that your receiver is looking for an active transponder.
I'm not familiar with your receiver so I can't point you on how to do that.
Once your sure it's an active transponder you then must fine tune the dish position for a better Quality signal.

As a Rule:
Signal refers to LNB to Receiver
Quality means LNB to Satellite reception.

Is your LNB a Standard or a Universal?
The LO on the sticker: 97500/11600 or 11750?

I've had problems aiming with an analog meter using Universals since they pickup Echostar signals. Mind you, not well enough to watch anything but enough to drown out anything from the quieter satellites in-between.

Off-Topic: The Nfusion brand is popular with the "pirate" crowd. Add that to the fact that you were asking about pointing for an Echostar satellite.

I don't understand why that last reply was posted. I am not trying to steal anything, just to point my dish. Echostar 10.11 might be a good choice.

Your original post said Echostar 8 which is at 77 W. There is nothing FTA on this satellite. If you meant 119 W for NASA I am sorry. Echo 10/11 has no FTA on it either except as has already been said, promo channels.

Sorry if I mis-understood. You also mentioned having a linear LNB. Echo 10/11 takes a circular. Many posters that have a post count of 1 or 2 and are here looking for info on picking up Echo sats are usually looking for hacking information that prevails on most other "FTA" boards.

If hacking is not your intent, then welcome and we can help you here.

Same here, I have never pointed to 77 and was only going by lyngsat info on that sat.

Lyngsat list that as a circular bird also, so a linear lnb wouldn't work with it anyways. The NFusion Solaris is only mpeg2, according to my google search, so it won't get any mpeg4 channels even with the correct lnbf.

I have a Eagle Aspen Satelite finder and i have no idea how to use it. I recently added a second dish 300 that im trying to hit 61.5 with and i can't find it for nothing. How do you use the meter, if i understood how to use the meter, maybe i could find it. It didn't come with any instructions.

I have a Eagle Aspen Satelite finder and i have no idea how to use it. I recently added a second dish 300 that im trying to hit 61.5 with and i can't find it for nothing. How do you use the meter, if i understood how to use the meter, maybe i could find it. It didn't come with any instructions.
If your unit looks like this one Sadoun sells, scroll down the page, and toward the bottom there is a link to User Manual.
There are models with a few less features, but they all work basically the same.
(and work well for simple line-up of DirecTV or Dish Network, but fall somewhat short for real FTA work)
Does that help, somewhat?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)