Analog to Digital Transition

Kenwantstoknow

Original poster
Dec 16, 2004
What is going on.
Last night our locals out of Houston did a 10 minute analog/digital test. Those who received a test pattern needed to go get a converter box. Those that did not and continued to receive the regular broadcast were good to go. I receive everything over the Dish Satellite. We live way out in the country, surrounded by trees, and in a low spot, so no way to receive locals by antenna.

We have the 722 receiver. The signal (TV1) in HGTV had the regular broadcast. The signal (TV2) Had the test pattern. I thought that I should have received the regular broadcast on both TV1 and TV2. I called Dish. The tech said and I quote " Don't worry about it when the time comes in February you will get a good digital signal to both TV1 and TV2).

What is going on?

Thanks

Dish is still using the analog feed from your local channel for rebroadcast. When the deadline gets here, Dish should have converted that feed over to their digital signal. You don't need to do anything.

Dish is just being lazy in switching, that's all.

I noticed yesterday afternoon that I was unable to tune in the channels that come thru the 622 via the antenna (002-01; 011-01; 013-01, etc). I'm guessing it had something to do with the digital signal test the locals were doing in the Houston dma. I usually get the error message to "channel up or down" when the signal is lost from the antenna, all I got was a blank screen. It was ok when I checked it later on in the day.

Some times the OTA tuner hangs and gets zero signal on all channels, if the digitals shut down for the test it would defeat the point.

I haven't ever noticed the signal hanging up on the 622, I do lose the signal (on 008-01, KUHT, PBS) unless the conditions are ideal. I thought it was strange that I didn't receive anything thru the ota on the 622 during the afternoon (tried 4 or 5 times to tune in ota locals) when they were running the digital test. Oh well, it works now, that's all that matters:)

Were both TV1 and TV2 on the same local channel? The Houston DMA has been using a digital feed for many months now. I get the Houston locals through Dish and three of the locals (KPRC,KRIV,KTRK) showed a pass screen. KHOU showed a fail message but the station has already admitted to mixing up the various feeds. They gave a fail message even though we are in fact using a digital feed.

I haven't ever noticed the signal hanging up on the 622, I do lose the signal (on 008-01, KUHT, PBS) unless the conditions are ideal. I thought it was strange that I didn't receive anything thru the ota on the 622 during the afternoon (tried 4 or 5 times to tune in ota locals) when they were running the digital test. Oh well, it works now, that's all that matters:)

Mine has done it a couple times, the OTA tuner just stops working showing zero signal for all OTA until I reboot the box or the nightly reboot.

Mine has done it a couple times, the OTA tuner just stops working showing zero signal for all OTA until I reboot the box or the nightly reboot.

Interesting. I wonder if you've got a problem starting, I haven't had to reboot to get OTA back since I retired my 921. It was a semi normal occurance for that one.

Concerning antenna reception of local stations that switch from analog to digital: When a couple of the San Antonio stations went digital completely, my screen showed 0 strength. I called one of the station's tech people and was told I needed to rescan the local channels because the digital number of the station is different from the analog. I rescanned my locals and that took care of the problem. It might possibly help to rescan your locals if you are receiving them from antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts