Angie Tribeca on TBS

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
Watched a bit of the series last night. Complete and utter dumbness!! And done very well. Reminded me of the old Leslie Neilsen stuff done years ago. Not 'must see' TV, but a lot of fun.

The show is dumb but has it's funny moments. What is more interesting though is the way they are rolling it out. They are premiering the entire season in a 25 hour marathon that started last night and is still going. There are no commercial breaks during episodes.

Instead they are using blatant product placement. In the first episode there was a gag where every time they got into a vehicle they put a big Ford.com bug on the screen. I'm not sure I would want to see this for all TV but I don't mind the way they are pulling the advertising into the comedy in this show.

This show is a major cable network experimenting with the way we watch TV. They know that most people are skipping all the commercials with DVRs these days so they didn't bother to put them in. They are still getting their ad money during the actual show instead of separate commercials.

By airing it in 25 hour marathon form they clearly have no expectation for people to watch it live either. They know that anyone who wants to watch it will be recording on a DVR and watching at their own pace like a Netflix show instead of watching an episode per week like traditional TV.

I wonder how Dish DVRs are coping with their need to reboot at 1:00am every night. I know that the reboot time gets pushed back if you have a timer active but the reboots aren't typically delayed for 20 hours.

If nothing else this show is an interesting look at what the cable networks are willing to try to cope with a changing TV business model.

It looks like the season is actually only 10 episodes long so the Dish receivers won't have to put off their nightly reboot as long as I thought. They are getting to a 25 hour marathon by just repeating the entire season over and over.