Annoying Nightly Reboot

Who in their right mind takes this as "business as usual". Tivo, Cable, and DirecTV all seem to manage without nightly reboots. That's got to be the sloppiest programmers EVER! The complaint shouldn't be what time, it should be why is it required in the first place.
To be fair, have you seen the reports over the last few months about the stability of the Genie, and the lag times? Seems they have a OD error that is several months old with resolution out of site.

I think you might be right. I was with DirecTV for several years with their Geni -- and I cannot recall having major problems with nightly updates. They DID have a nightly update, but it seems like it was done somewhere around 4 a.m., which was not terribly disruptive. The only problem with their updates, though, is that they usually made things work worse! LOL

That is the problem. I tell it YES at 1:30 and it goes through its process. But then, within an hour, it asks yes or no to do it again -- as if it had not already done so. And then, many nights, it will ask AGAIN an hour after that.
You do not have to respond to the pop-up. It will automatically do its thing if you do not press any buttons. Try that and see if it helps.

That is the problem. I tell it YES at 1:30 and it goes through its process. But then, within an hour, it asks yes or no to do it again -- as if it had not already done so. And then, many nights, it will ask AGAIN an hour after that.

You might not be giving it enough time after it reboots to do all of it's housekeeping. If you turn it right back on it doesn't have time to check for updates, download the guide data, etc., etc. and it probably knows an hour later that it hasn't finished. Usually about 15-20 minutes of keeping it turned off or in standby mode after the nightly reboot is what it needs.

As I've experimented with this, I have waited close to an HOUR various times and it still will ask again to do it. The funny thing is that my second TV is connected to a Super Joey. And, when I allow the Hopper to do it's thing with the update, I can tell -- in advance -- that it is not working because the TV channel on the Joey stays on instead of going blank as it should (because the Joey is dependent on the Hopper being on to provide its signal).

Turn off all your receivers ,including your super joey and see if that helps your hopper do it's update without coming back again. Another trick you should learn with DISH is the reboot sequence. There are three types of reboot that you can do but you can usually pick one or the other to clear up minor glitches.

1. Smart card reboot-pull the smart card out and plug back in will force a reboot. (front of receiver on the hopper left side under panel)
2. Soft power button reboot or red button reboot on the hopper- will force a reboot.(front of receiver under left side panel)
3. Hard reboot-pull the plug and wait about a minute to plug back in and it will force a reboot. (This is the best kind to clear out almost all bugs and glitches you may be experiencing and is recommended any time you get new software to clear up bugs.

*Also you can do a soft power button reboot on the hopper by selecting menu ,settings and then diagnostics, then hit the reset receiver tile.

I've been with DISH since 1/18/97 and the one commonality between ALL DISH receivers is the REBOOT. They all need it sooner or later.

I still don't understand why there isn't an option for the user to select the reboot time. People have different schedules and this is extremely annoying for someone who regularly watches TV between 1-2 am. I understand that a reboot is necessary, but it shouldn't matter what time that reboot occurs.

Strongly agreed! This inconvenience is one of the reasons I might leave Dish when my 2-year sentence is up.

Hopefully they will fix this with the new interface -- if it is ever released. Now I'm seeing others say it will not be until next year.

My guess, it will be released either the day of or week after CES to create more buzz around their next line. That would be the smart move at this point. Especially being as close at it is.

A previous DVR, perhaps the 722, gave us the option of when to do the update. Why can't they do this with the hopper? Me and my company was watching a program at 1 am and the dang thing rebooted without an option to delay it another hour like it normally does. Ticked me off.

I selected the event from dish anywhere app and usually I can hit recall and start from where I left off of a dvr recording if I had selected the show from my dvr instead of the app.

Can dish at least not give us the option to wait 2-3 more hours like windows updates does on computers? Is Dish's hardware buggy enough to require a nightly reboot? At least do it at 3-4 am for goodness sake not 1 freakin am. Or the receiver could detect whether there has been any button presses on the remotes and if there hasn't been any and no scheduled recordings then it can do its reboot. Probably more complicated than it needs to be.

Also, can Dish not write the software to do the update when there are no planned recordings with a priority in the middle of the night perhaps schedule it like we do a recording?

Can they not use an unused tuner to check for an update and only reboot receiver when an update is needed? Perhaps every two or three nights when a software update is not needed if their receiver is so buggy that it needs a reboot every so often?

A previous DVR, perhaps the 722, gave us the option of when to do the update. Why can't they do this with the hopper? Me and my company was watching a program at 1 am and the dang thing rebooted without an option to delay it another hour like it normally does. Ticked me off.

I selected the event from dish anywhere app and usually I can hit recall and start from where I left off of a dvr recording if I had selected the show from my dvr instead of the app.

Can dish at least not give us the option to wait 2-3 more hours like windows updates does on computers? Is Dish's hardware buggy enough to require a nightly reboot? At least do it at 3-4 am for goodness sake not 1 freakin am. Or the receiver could detect whether there has been any button presses on the remotes and if there hasn't been any and no scheduled recordings then it can do its reboot. Probably more complicated than it needs to be.

Also, can Dish not write the software to do the update when there are no planned recordings with a priority in the middle of the night perhaps schedule it like we do a recording?

Can they not use an unused tuner to check for an update and only reboot receiver when an update is needed? Perhaps every two or three nights when a software update is not needed if their receiver is so buggy that it needs a reboot every so often?
I don't understand why it has to be every night either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stargazer
There have been many threads posted here on this issue. As others have mentioned, Dish should give us the option of deciding when to do the nightly update. When I had the 722K, 722, and 622 VIP receivers, I could set the time when the receiver would do the update. With the newer Hopper, you can't do this.

I am usually watching TV at the time that it wants to do the update. If I happen to be away from the TV at that moment, the receiver re-boots and I miss a part of the show that I was watching. This is extremely annoying.

Reactions: Stargazer
I think the nightly "update" is nothing more than a reboot for general stability of the receiver. Just like a Windows PC, rebooting every so often keeps it running better.

It is NOT necessary to reboot to get guide updates. Those are done through an available tuner and can be at anytime if the day.

Thinking a "computer" has to reboot to LOOK for updates is silly. If Dish hardware requires that, that is sad indeed !

I still don't understand why there isn't an option for the user to select the reboot time. People have different schedules and this is extremely annoying for someone who regularly watches TV between 1-2 am. I understand that a reboot is necessary, but it shouldn't matter what time that reboot occurs.
This is just a guess, but perhaps Dish needs the reboot to occur at that time because that is when they program AutoHop?

Don't think that's the case. I believe people here have repeatedly told the Hopper not to reboot and the Autohop data still showed up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)