Annoying problem !!!!

Mitch29532

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have a question ?? The problem I'm having is my ota channels keeps going out, and I have to hold the power button in until the reciever resets.. After the unit powers back up the problem goes away for a couple of days. Should I get a new box or is this a common problem ?? Forgot to say the recieve is a VIP 622.....

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem with my 722, I have just been told that it is a software issue that they are trying to resolve. My problem is a little more frequent, it happens every day after the thing is on standby for a long time. So every time I come back from work I have to do the reset! I am really frustrated as you know the damn thing takes forever to be back up and running after the reset.

Hope they have the solution soon.

My 722 did it a few times. I re-scanned locals to get it to work again. Didn't think about trying to reset. It did it 2 or 3 times a month ago and has not done it since.

I have this problem as well with my 622.

The local channel(s) will have no picture and show a signal strength of 0. I have been able to get the locals back by going into the menu and going to local channels under system set up. When I highlight the local channel I want, it gives me a signal strength reading. When I go back to the channel for viewing, it is there, as well as the other locals. It's almost like getting the signal reading in the set up menu is a reminder to the receiver that the locals do have a signal reading.

Anyway, it is way less time-consuming than resetting the receiver.

Hope this helps.

This happened to me with my 622 three times in the last month. The first time I did a reset, as cycling on/off was no help. The second time I was going to bed anyway so I just turned the receiver off and the locals were back the next day. The third time I rescanned for local channels and got them back that way. It hasn't happened again in the last 2 weeks or so (knock wood).

I used to run the antenna through the 622 but I got tired of the yellow screens. Hooked it up directly to the TV and life is good. I cant record of course but then I dont record off of network TV anyway.

Aside from the fact that they essentially suspended network programming for the election last week, my ViP622 (L614) hasn't had any problems viewing or recording OTA or LIL.

Come to think of it, I'm glad they didn't put up much programming as the local yokels would have just downconverted it and squished it to put up election results.

It just happened again on my 622. I watched a recorded program on the DVR and when I went back to live TV my OTA local channel came up a black screen with signal strength 0. Every local channel I switched to came up the same way, totally black screen with the top banner showing 0 signal. No signal lost alert or anything. Once again I had to re-scan locals to get them back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts