Another 4DTV Tuning Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I have been unsuccessful at trying to lock onto a Digicypher II channel. I 've never been able to lock onto a DC signal; however, about two months ago, I bought a better quality LNB, and as I was moving the dish, the DC light appeared on my 4DTV 920. Well, I continued to move the dish, but I was unable to get another DC lock. I swear the satellite was C3 Transponder 7.

Anyway, I can see to G5. I can get VCII channels that are 80% quality. Trees start to be an issue at this point. I was wondering if someone could tell me what their dish position is set at for G5 and G1. Correct me if my logic is wrong, but I was hoping that I could figure out how far beyond G5 I need to move the dish to be in the approximate line of sight for G1. For example, on my receiver, G5 is stored at dish position 5426. If someone can tell me what their stored position is for G1 and G5, I would calculate the difference, and add that number to 5426.

I have a 10 foot bud that needed a lot of TLC to get it working. I also am using an old Janiel H to H motor.

Thanks

If you are getting G5 with VCII, I would try for G10 towards the east and one of these VCII channels 15, 16, 18, or 19. It's the next satellite over so bump it slowly. When you find it, store it's position and use it as reference. Count the distance (numbers) between it and G5, then multiply that number by five and go west from G10 with what you get, it should be close. Try for one of these VCII channels 1, 8, 19, or 21, you can also try for these ITC (in the clear) channels 5, 11, 12, 14, or 17. When you find G1 and store it's position in, you should go to channel 3 and unplug the 4dtv and let it reboot, so you can get the updated maps for the DCII channels. Hopefully you have it tracking the arc correctly. Hope this helps.

Al

There's also several free analog channels on G1 that you could use to fine tune your dish. Channels 5, 11, 12, and 17 are ITC. I'm not certain on whether 12, ShopNBC is still broadcasting or not, but the rest should be. The only one I ever watch is Classic Arts Showcase on 5. Once you find one of those channels you can fine tune your dish, and then you should be able to get the channel maps like Al said.

When you're tuning the dish, don't forget to adjust the skew. You can be spot on with your motor position and dish elevation but get absolutely nothing if the skew is wrong.

Mike

Here's a tip:
When trying to lock a digital channel, make a small change and wait a few moments to see the results.
Unlike analog there is a short delay to see the effects of a change when trying to tune the digital channels.

I would use the analog channels to find the satellites first. Then go to
G1 and start fine tuning. Digital channels are much more sensitive to antenna position and skew than analog channels. Put the unit on channel 3 and use your auto-position and auto-skew function to try and find the best setup. If that doesn't work, watch your quality reading while slowly adjusting your skew. That should get your light on. Have fun.

sure you knowm this but...

rjc3895 said:
I have been unsuccessful at trying to lock onto a Digicypher II channel. I 've never been able to lock onto a DC signal; however, about two months ago, I bought a better quality LNB, and as I was moving the dish, the DC light appeared on my 4DTV 920. Well, I continued to move the dish, but I was unable to get another DC lock. I swear the satellite was C3 Transponder 7.

Anyway, I can see to G5. I can get VCII channels that are 80% quality. Trees start to be an issue at this point. I was wondering if someone could tell me what their dish position is set at for G5 and G1. Correct me if my logic is wrong, but I was hoping that I could figure out how far beyond G5 I need to move the dish to be in the approximate line of sight for G1. For example, on my receiver, G5 is stored at dish position 5426. If someone can tell me what their stored position is for G1 and G5, I would calculate the difference, and add that number to 5426.

I have a 10 foot bud that needed a lot of TLC to get it working. I also am using an old Janiel H to H motor.

Thanks

Digital is a bit more sesitive than analog. When you tune, use the auto move and skew...then do it manually by the Quality meter...not the signal meter.

I have found that on G9 even with a signal strenth of 86 and Quality of 69....If my skew is off just a hair...My HD200 acts wired! You might also not be quite EXACTLY on the arc In my location, G1 is the one I use for testing and tuning etc....my 2 cents! I picked up a Birdog and really got my self dialed in last year...then sold it on fleabay for about $10 less than I paid for it!
Jeff

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts