Another $95 ???

bgsmallwood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
The Nations
A terrible hail storm 2 weeks ago just pummeled my 1000.2 dish. Shattered 2 LNBs and split the arm.

I called dishnetwork and agreed to pay $95 to have the dish replaced. And my insurance company agreed to reimburse me that amount.

Well today I am having the roof replaced because of the same hail damage and after they bolt the dish back down I am pretty sure it will need to be peaked because it won't line up exactly the same way on the new high definition shingles.

I called dish and they want another $95 just to have someone stop by and peak the dish.

So, if that is true, I think I have 3 options:

1. Pay the $95 to peak the alignment

2. Pay $95 for a whole new dish and install.

3. Switch to DirecTV

:rant:

Why didn't you wait until you had your roof worked on before you had your dish repaired. Do you honestly think that you shouldn't have to pay for a second service call? If you brought your car in to get fixed but forgot to tell them you needed another thing done a week later, would you expect to have it done for nothing? To me, there is no reason to complain or switch to DirecTV.

Why didn't you wait until you had your roof worked on before you had your dish repaired. Do you honestly think that you shouldn't have to pay for a second service call? If you brought your car in to get fixed but forgot to tell them you needed another thing done a week later, would you expect to have it done for nothing? To me, there is no reason to complain or switch to DirecTV.
Because 2 of the LNBs were turned to mince meat by baseball size hail and the dish was somewhat deformed too.
What was I supposed to do wait a week or more with no TV at all until I can get a check from the insurance company and hire a roofer?

I can understand why you would have to wait then. This does not negate the fact that you still have two separate service calls that need to be paid for. This is not an unfair practice. If you wish to save a little money just add the service plan. If you no longer want to keep it after the service call, just cancel it and pay the $25 fee. This approach would be a little cheaper.

Agreed with option 4 - purchase an inexpensive "satellite finder" signal strength meter (less than $20 at most outlets) and peak it yourself.

Also agreed with option 6, wait until the roof is replaced and the dish is reinstalled before worrying about any of this. You might get lucky and the dish gets remounted in almost exactly the same position and I think there's a high probability of that especially if they use the same bolt holes. Use your receiver's "dish pointer" tool to check the signal strength of the sats. and various tranponders. Take "before and after" roof repair measurements for comparison. Before the dish is disassembled from the mount (if you even do that, probably won't have to), mark the locations on the elevation and skew scales so you can reassemble it to the same exact angles.

If you have signal strengths greater than 50 on the arbitrary scale after the dish is remounted I don't think you'll have any problems with signal loss except perhaps in very strong squalls...

Last edited:
If they do come out again, I'd have the DISH mounted in the yard and get a cover for it. Something armor plated that you can place over it when a storm is on the way. lol :-D

Everybody here is talking about the $95 fee, but nobody is interested in the OP's high definition shingles?

If it were me, I just get standard def shingles for now, then replace them with 3D shingles when the formats have all been standardized.

funny but

Everybody here is talking about the $95 fee, but nobody is interested in the OP's high definition shingles?

If it were me, I just get standard def shingles for now, then replace them with 3D shingles when the formats have all been standardized.

I'm laughing too but I know what type of shingles he's getting. Just had a roof put on this house and "What's know" as a 50 yr shingle. They aren't cheap but the ins co will give something like 25 to 30% discount with these "hail resistant" shingles. I would find out from ins co if they will let you put holes thru the roof and still cover you though.

Why not do the DHPP? ($15 a visit) I know it sucks, but its better than the $95.

If not, maybe your insurance will cover it again?
Not covered under DHPP.

Exclusions from Coverage: Your Plan does not cover:
A) SERVICE, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR, OR REPLACEMENT DUE TO
ANY LOSS RESULTING FROM USAGE OTHER THAN NORMAL
USAGE AND BEYOND DISH NETWORK’S NORMAL CONTROL SUCH
AS: DAMAGE DUE TO MISUSE, ABUSE, INSECT OR OTHER
INFESTATION, FIRE, WATER, FOREIGN SUBSTANCES, ORGANIC
MATERIALS, WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, THEFT,

but it does cover realignment after a roofing job, and I bet you would have been under 60 day warranty from dish replacement. you could have made a better deal for you're self trust my I am a tech for dish service plan is a no brainer especially where storms are an issue for realignments alone 15 is better than 95 but it's you're money

add the Dhpp $6 pay the $15 tech visit then pay the $25 cancelation charge still cheaper than the $95 tech visit fee

I've never seen dish try to force a customer to pay for repairs of anything whether covered or not. Its always do whatever it takes to keep the customer happy except for the tech vist fees which now are $15 with Dhpp or $95 otherwise

Last edited:
add the Dhpp $6 pay the $15 tech visit then pay the $25 cancelation charge still cheaper than the $95 tech visit fee

I've never seen dish try to force a customer to pay for repairs of anything whether covered or not. Its always do whatever it takes to keep the customer happy except for the tech vist fees which now are $15 with Dhpp or $95 otherwise
I added DHPP and I will most likely keep it.

They can't get a tech out here until saturday tho so it looks like a couple of days with no tv for me.
The dish is mounted on the new shingles, bolted down in the same holes, but no signal at all.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar