Another alternative to my problem getting Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, I gave my wife another option with getting Voom. She's been aprehensive because to replicate our 3 room set up I would have to spend nearly half our bill on equipment alone. I told her an alternative would be for us to keep our Directv like it is, take one tuner away from the Dtivo, and have Voom use that, and have both satellite services side by side. Since the Voom dish faces more East than Directv's dish we can have it on another spot on our fence. This would in affect be around what we would pay for a 3 room set up, but we would still have some channels that she has to have (namely Lifetime and the LMN) plus we would still have the Dtivo. That, and we wouldn't have to pay Directv the early term fee. I would rather get a great deal on an HD receiver from them but they are being jerks about it.

Does anyone else have this setup like this? If so, does it work well?

Sounds like a good plan. I don't have D* but there are many forum guys that do. Another advantage to your idea is that you will be able to do fair comparisons on the quality of the transmission, assuming your displays are relatively similar. And best of all, you have no long-term commitment with Voom.

Some of the forum members with both satellite services will see this and respond today, but it sounds to me like you have a good idea.

I have both D and V well D Tivo & D HD and V all in the same room that way I'm covered, lol. My wife is not so much into some of the channels as I have read other wifes to want but she loves the Tivo and until V comes out with theres and its just as easy to use D is not going anywear. Also I saw that you posted over in the D forum about not getting a deal through D for an HD receiver , a friend of mine called me and we did a 3 way calling to the customer retention line at 1-800-600-8977 and the guy said that my friend had only been with them for 4 months and he could only give him a $100 off so I said let us talk to a super visor and he got the HD receiver with OTA antenna and free install and a free movie channel for 3 months for $200 not trying to push you away from V because I love it , wasn't sure about it the 1st month but now I wont give it up. I am one of the lucky ones that has had very little problems with anything other than rain fade and Wilt took care of that for me.

Thanks guys!! Keep them coming. I need all the help I can get as far as convincing the wife to let me do this.

How did you get D* to get your friend an HD receiver for free?? I have been busting my butt trying to get them to give me a deal on one. I've been with Directv since early March after a fiasco with DISH. I just spoke with Directv again at that number and now they tell me the $99 deal for an HD receiver is expired and that the best they can give me now is a deal on programming, Showtime for the next 6 months at $2 a month and $10 off HBO for 6 months. No thanks. The receiver will still be $350.

I really want to try Voom out. I like the idea of 21 channels of HD content. I've even got my best friend looking at dumping TWC to get Voom. He just has to get with his landlord to see what restrictions his apartment complex has as far as a dish goes. He knows that they can't stop him from getting one.

What does yall's bill run a month total for both? This will be the clincher with convincing the wife.

Well...

I'm not one of those people who thinks we should beat up DTV to give us free stuff to retain us. If you're already looking to leave DTV or add Voom for HD then why are you trying to find a solution to keep DTV?

Anyway, I have DTV and Voom currently. I've kept it for the sports. I'm a huge NFL fan and I need to watch my Yankees. I can actually live without the Yankees since I can catch them on the radio but I can't part ways with NFL Sunday Ticket. Not sure how I'm going to deal with this.

I have two DTV receivers (DirecTivo in HT). I've put in one Voom stb in my ht. I prefer Voom and as soon as I can either bring myself to live without my sports or we get a better sports solution on Voom, I'll be dropping DTV like a hot potato. No calling them to try and get something for free, they're gone. If their customer base was important enough to them they'd offer all of us free equipment for HD. Since the customer is not important enough to them I'm chosing to take my business elsewhere.

The Rickster

Like rick said we should beat up DTV to give us free stuff and it wasn't free he wind up only paying $200 for it all + the $14.95 shipping but we ask to speak to a super visor and she offered that deal now she did say if he had been with them longer she could have did better than that . If you don't like the deal then ask for a super visor and just tell them you want HD but cant afford $399 also you will really like Voom as like al ot of people Monster HD is my favorite .

Neutron said:
Well, I gave my wife another option with getting Voom. She's been aprehensive because to replicate our 3 room set up I would have to spend nearly half our bill on equipment alone. I told her an alternative would be for us to keep our Directv like it is, take one tuner away from the Dtivo, and have Voom use that, and have both satellite services side by side. Since the Voom dish faces more East than Directv's dish we can have it on another spot on our fence. This would in affect be around what we would pay for a 3 room set up, but we would still have some channels that she has to have (namely Lifetime and the LMN) plus we would still have the Dtivo. That, and we wouldn't have to pay Directv the early term fee. I would rather get a great deal on an HD receiver from them but they are being jerks about it.

Does anyone else have this setup like this? If so, does it work well?

also, you could run the Dish into a separate input on your main TV and have killer PIP capabilities.

I don't believe in getting everything for free, but if Directv has done this for other people I don't see why they can't do this for me. Also, if their competition has a no up front offer AND E* has a no up front offer then why won't Directv compete?

Well, I lost my argument to the wife and she wants to keep Directv for good and doesn't want two bills so I can't get Voom yet. I will keep it up.

It didn't help that the guy at Sears today at the Voom display kept talking down about Voom not being reliable, complaining about not getting every channel to demo like he has with DISH, and didn't have a clue as to the $0 up front saying I would HAVE to pay $400 up front. Wife didn't like that. He didn't even have Voom on 1080i, just 480p.

Missing my point...

I'm not saying DTV shouldn't offer this for free. I'm saying, if you (or I) were such an important customer, we wouldn't have to, "ask for a supervisor," in order to have them make an effort to try and retain us as customers.

If that's the way they feel about us then why bother?

The Rickster

If we should bother than we shouldn't shop at CC, BB, or anywhere because if you go to one of them stores and try to get something that one of the floor mangers cant do for you then you or they will get a supervisor to help. ( Ex sample , I went CC to get a TV for my mom because they didn't have any other Electronics store around here area up north but both CC & BB had the same TV but I could get CC to deliver it to her where BB could not because they didn't have a store close to her area, well I ask the floor manger if they could match BB $ because it was a few $ cheaper he said let me get a supervisor , they just didn't match it they also gave another 10% off of it so I think it is worth the bother, It doesn't hurt to ask .

Equipment for free ? no one is offering HD equipment for free. I call every year to see what they can offer me to stay as i am all about the best deal ! As for voom i was one of the many unfortunate to have a seriously bad time with it, bad stb, horrendous customer service. As for the 99 deal with dtv you need to keep trying and the 99 dollar deal is definitely still alive. although you having only been a subscriber for 3 months may be their issue, although open box buys can be a great deal at cc or bb, i bought a hd300 sony for 299 and a sammy 360 for 169 both open box, no issues with either. good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)