Another CSR Horror Story

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Decided to make the leap to the DISH 942, figuring Charlie is so goofy that we won't see MPEG-4 for a l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g time. So, notwithstanding their disclaimer to the contrary that one can only buy through a retailer, I easily ordered my purchase of a 942 through DISH, by phone. The CSR said the dvr would be shipped separately, and I had to schedule the installation for at least ten business days after placing the order, to allow it to arrive. No problem so far. I asked if I could get the UPS tracking number, so I would be sure to be home when it arrived. "Call back in a couple of days," was the reply.

After four attempts to get the tracking number, each time with a "call back tomorrow," I got a different response yesterday: "the reason there is no tracking number is because the installer will be bringing it out with him." Fine, no more being held hostage for a day waiting for Brown.

So, this morning, while reading my favorite board :) I spot a brown delivery truck pull up. You got it, or, should I say, I got it. While I am glad to have the dvr in my possession, I am not happy with the CSR b.s. Got a sun burn from being shined on by those folks. I won't even bother writing to them, never yet received a response to any query, and a phone call would just result in gratuitous pandering. Grrrrr.

So I am off to read my manual.

It seems to me dish might be losing some hardware / money in the mail so to speak. I activated an older receiver to my account, and made sure they sent a new access card for it. First off, they shipped it USPS. Two weeks later, I call asking where the %#% is my card. Well the guy is like "oh well, i'll send another out." This time it came via UPS 2nd day.

So my question is, what happened to the first smartcard? Did it never get sent out? Did some lucky USPS worker get a nice new yellow card to play with? Talk about "security", meh! Noone knows, and i doubt anyone cares, though they should.

I bet your installer will show up with a 942 as well, and somehow you'll get charged for two, and spend the next 3 months sorting out your bill :) (I hope not, but the way dish CSRs work...)

In another dimension, that might be something to laugh about, but I fear you may be right! If so, you can be assured I will share that pain :rolleyes:

I have never been able to get a tracking number from dish on anything they sent me. I do knoew that I got 2 721's from CEO address when they had the un advertised special on them, they billed me for 1, then realized they sent 2 and wanted me to pay full price for the second, make a long story short, that was a fiasco getting fixed and sent back.

inwo said:
Well at least you beat your local dealer out of a sale. That should make up for all the headaches! :rolleyes:

If it were a simple "replace the receiver, then plug and play," yes, I would have been down to the local retailer and been happy as a clam. However, I have a DISH 500 legacy system, and, my cable is nicely hidden inside the wall, which got repainted after the routing was finished. Since I will need a DISH ProPlus LBNF and a DPP 44 switch to keep it to one cable; I figure with the prices I have seen online for those, if they are, as promised, part of the install cost, I will actually be ahead after the $100 install fee from DISH.

Plus, unlike some of the others on this board, I have not had a negative experience with DISH installers, they have always been on time, courteous, competent and thorough. Since I had a ladder accident two years ago that put me in the hospital for two days, via the ER, my wife made me get rid of the extension ladder, so "I don't do roofs."
:no

I doubt the loss is through UPS, I'd guess the loss of communication was between the CSR's and the shipping department.

Dish's main problem with the whole entire company is that departments have no way to communicate between themselves. Heck, most first level CSR's don't have access (or the education of the phone system) to an outside phone line to call RSP's are DNSC's. I worked with Dish's payment processors.. and you'd be amazed. I'd be paid for a reciever that was installed, but not for the labor to install it. The two sides don't communicate with each other at all, or have any means to know what the other side has done.

If they could get all departments communicating with each other you'd see a vast improvement with the company.

No offense, but I'd hardly call the original post in this thread a "horror story". A typical misinformed CSR, certainly, but nothing compared to the installation / billing / PPV stories listed on this and other forums.

...wait until the 942 explodes when he plugs it in...

I'm sure dish doesn't give the numbers because you'd know when they really shipped it, and how. They don't ship when they say they do...But i'd guess it's just CSR stupidity more than anything else, so it doesn't matter...

DenDavis said:
Since I will need a DISH ProPlus LBNF and a DPP 44 switch to keep it to one cable
No. You will need one OR the other. If more than two receivers, then the DPP44, and a standard DP Twin.

As for E* shipping - folks are right. The "call back tomorrow" is scripted. I've never heard of anyone getting a tracking number.

I am SO glad we use a distributor instead of dealing with E* directly. When we place an order, our rep almost always knows if it's ready to ship, and if he doesn't, he can walk 30 steps right into the warehouse to check.

I got my first Dish1000 less than 24 hours after they arrived at his place. :)

As an E tech I hate dealing with the csr's and standard tech support due to theyr lack of knowledge of anything related to dish. Its a horror story atleast 3 times a week for me when I have to change a work order to better suit the customer and installation. Ive had times where Ive ended up spending upwards of 2 hours on the phone with 3 - 5 csr's trying to get a work order modified or a resolution for what ever reason even before I could begin the work needed.

SimpleSimon said:
No. You will need one OR the other. If more than two receivers, then the DPP44, and a standard DP Twin.

As for E* shipping - folks are right. The "call back tomorrow" is scripted. I've never heard of anyone getting a tracking number.

I am SO glad we use a distributor instead of dealing with E* directly. When we place an order, our rep almost always knows if it's ready to ship, and if he doesn't, he can walk 30 steps right into the warehouse to check.

I got my first Dish1000 less than 24 hours after they arrived at his place. :)

Thanks. That's why I am letting DISH do the install :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)