Another E* Customer considering the swith to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does the guide and data have anything to do with Tribune Media? I have had some luck fixing what they do. That is what the Dish receivers use.

Ice,
What is the channel number and call letters for that Country channel? I will send Tribune a note on that.

Last edited:
yeah Tribune works with Directv on the AM21

the call sign is WUCW-DT3 23-3
WUCW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WUCW is CW
WUCW-DT2 is TheCoolTV and has guide info
WUCW-DT3 is not in the list

the rest of the stations in Mpls except for some low powered religious stations are there

Ice:

I passed along your message but just got this back.
Chicago Tribune media columnist xxxx xxxxxxx is, yet again, trying to take some time off.

Yes, he knows how well that's worked out in the past. And he knows you know.

This time, to advance the effort, his family will be dragging him far out of cellphone and Wi-Fi range, so don't take it personally if he doesn't respond.

That's not to say he won't try or even possibly succeed in finding some lifeline to civilization. But there's a very good chance some people would be looking at him with very disappointed expressions if he even took out his iPhone to try.

So please understand, it's not personal.

He expects to be back to his workaholic ways in no time.

So maybe you will see some action next week. ;)

ok cool. The funny part is the guide is pretty much useless. on the converter boxes it says "The Country Network" in 4 hour (or is it 8 hour) blocks but it would be nice to tune to it via the D* box

I switched from E* to D* in January and got the Costco gift card ($180) plus the D* promotional discount of $29/month for the first year. I think the Costco deal is still on...

ok cool. The funny part is the guide is pretty much useless. on the converter boxes it says "The Country Network" in 4 hour (or is it 8 hour) blocks but it would be nice to tune to it via the D* box

I kind of figure that you won't get a total description of the channel since it is seems to be just videos but at least we are just trying to ge the channel on the D* box.

I kind of figure that you won't get a total description of the channel since it is seems to be just videos but at least we are just trying to ge the channel on the D* box.

I agree. As long as its in the AM21 then I can always record it (even a 4 hour block is fine). I've done that with "The Cool TV".....

I switched from E* to D* in January and got the Costco gift card ($180) plus the D* promotional discount of $29/month for the first year. I think the Costco deal is still on...

The Costco deal is good till the end of July. I had Direct TV installed three weeks ago and I had the $180.00 gift card in less than a week!

The local Fox channel here in CT added AntennaTv as a subchannel on Jan 1st. Directv has yet to add it to the AM21.

I agree. As long as its in the AM21 then I can always record it (even a 4 hour block is fine). I've done that with "The Cool TV".....

I have been going back and forth with a nice lady named Lynne at Tribune Media. Here is some of what she said.
We are listing these channels on our OTA lineups. (You can check zap2it.com with your zip codes). You will need to contact DirecTV/DISH regarding these adds. From my experience DirecTV can be reluctant to add new channels to their OTA lineups. Let me know what response you get. I may have another avenue if they cannot help.
I also have this later on..
I see now. Zap2it has it labeled correctly so I’m not sure exactly where they are picking up that old information. I’m not sure if this is DISH or us but I’ll poke around to see what I can find.
Has anyone contacted D* about these issues? Lynne asked me this. She also aknowleged it is sometimes hard to get them to add channels. She mentioned Dish due to my own issues. Ice and raoul5788, give that a try and tell me what happens.

The local Fox channel here in CT added AntennaTv as a subchannel on Jan 1st. Directv has yet to add it to the AM21.

Well, it's been 4 months and I'm still waiting for them to add THIS TV (26-5) and WPVN (24-1) on the AM-21 in Chicago. I've learned DirecTV could not care less about over the air. The utter neglect to keep their database current is unbelievable. The channels have been listed at Zap2it/Tribune for 3 months now. You'd think 3 calls and 12 emails to directv.com, 3 emails to a D* insider here on this forum, and at least a half dozen threads on satelliteguys.us and dbstalk.com over a 4 month period would result in some action... you'd be thinking wrong.

The bureaucracy and lack of AM-21 training is at the core of the problem. D* is not synchronized to Tribune as we were lead to believe. They are months behind. If Dish wasn't so bad about contract disputes and did not lack the 24/7 RSNs I'd switch. This issue annoys me that much. I've been a customer for 10 years now. Why didn't they put the H20 scan into the HR-20 and AM-21? This would not be an issue if they did.

I wish I could use hyperterminal with a USB connection into the box to add the OTA channels in myself. If anyone knows how to do this, PM me. I am not looking to steal channels. I just want the ability for the AM-21 to receive my locals over the air.

Last edited:
I just switched form E* to D* last week. I have 3 HD TVs and only had one HD receiver with E*. No really good discounts to upgrade so I made the switch. Here are the details:

* I went with the Choice Xtra as it was similar to what I had with Dish except I no longer get the encor channels which I never watched anyway.
* I got 2 HD-DVRs and one HD Reciever. all are connected and can watch recordings throughout the house. Initial cost was $119. That included free HD for life.
* First bill was $61. I should get this the first year. This includes whole home dvr, programming, receiver charges and taxes.
* After first year it looks like my cost will be $92 a month (I am assuming I will get the 10 dollar credit for free HD for life and the $6 credit for my first leased receiver). I was paying $116 a month with E*. To be fair, with E* I was getting Encore and Paladia (??spelling) and I don't get those now. For another $10 I can add Paladia and a number of other HDs. May do that later.
*I filled out for the rebates online before the install so they are already showing on my first bill.
*Negatives: HD picture quality is not quite as good as with Dishnetwork. Is a little softer Picture. Also, some channels I watch like DIY and AMC are not in HD yet. Maybe they will fix that soon. DVR is not as intuitive, but some of that may be due to the fact I used the 622DVR for years and got used to it.
*Positives: Lower cost and HD on three TVs. The whole home DVR thing works great.
*Overall: Very happy with having HD on all TVs and that I have a lower bill.

Hope this helps.

I was getting Encore and Paladia (??spelling) and I don't get those now. For another $10 I can add Paladia and a number of other HDs.

It's $5 extra for the HD Extra package. You can add it online and get it for free the first three months. Hint: cancel it before the 3 months and add it again the next day. :)

It's $5 extra for the HD Extra package. You can add it online and get it for free the first three months. Hint: cancel it before the 3 months and add it again the next day. :)

yep. Been there done that. ON my 2nd "free 3 months" right now

The bureaucracy and lack of AM-21 training is at the core of the problem. D* is not synchronized to Tribune as we were lead to believe. They are months behind. If Dish wasn't so bad about contract disputes and did not lack the 24/7 RSNs I'd switch. This issue annoys me that much. I've been a customer for 10 years now. Why didn't they put the H20 scan into the HR-20 and AM-21? This would not be an issue if they did.

I agree. Now the only station I am missing is a subchannel on CW (DT3 the Country Network) but it would be nice to get it in the list. Also the DT2 station is off by an hour. Its theCoolTV and the guide is an hour fast so "80's at 8" shows from 7-8 CDT. The DTVPal converter box and the other HDTV show it properly

I have an old H10 that has both load locals and scan which is really nice feature. The AM21 should have that too with these stations adding subchannels.

zman said:
* First bill was $61. I should get this the first year.

After the third month it will go up unless you cancel the three month free HBO, cinemax, stars, etc. ($45.00), and then it will still go up a bit because of the additional "watch more, save more" discount ($9.96) on the combined movie package, or so the online cart shows. If you leave it as is, month 4 will be $106, not $61.

After the third month it will go up unless you cancel the three month free HBO, cinemax, stars, etc. ($45.00), and then it will still go up a bit because of the additional "watch more, save more" discount ($9.96) on the combined movie package, or so the online cart shows. If you leave it as is, month 4 will be $106, not $61.

I do plan to cancel the free HBO/Cinemax before 3 months is up as I never watch these anyway. As I read the bill, it should then remain at $61. I do not see the $9.96 credit in my bill anywhere. The credits I am getting now (disregarding the free HBO) are ..
$10 for HD Access (I am assuming I get this for life).
$26 Choice Xtra for 12 months (new customer rebate)
$5 Choice Xtra for 12 months (Online rebate)
$6 Primary leased receiver (I assume I get this for life, but have not found that written anywhere).

I do plan to cancel the free HBO/Cinemax before 3 months is up as I never watch these anyway. As I read the bill, it should then remain at $61. I do not see the $9.96 credit in my bill anywhere. The credits I am getting now (disregarding the free HBO) are ..
$10 for HD Access (I am assuming I get this for life).
$26 Choice Xtra for 12 months (new customer rebate)
$5 Choice Xtra for 12 months (Online rebate)
$6 Primary leased receiver (I assume I get this for life, but have not found that written anywhere).

yep once you cancel those movie channels your bill should be what you think it is.

Those movie channels if you cancel them say a week early the credit still shows up...every penny counts sometimes ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)