Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I know its a Dish thing but FTA related

...was checking the Dish uplink chart that digiblur does and saw this

9130(67) - WNGS [MPEG2 SD] added to EchoStar10 110W TP 29 Spotbeam 09 (Not Available)

so it looks like Dish was nice enough to uplink WNGS for the Buffalo Dish subs...its not available yet but looks like Buffalo subs might be able to see RTN soon :)

This is probably why they are on G3 C-band too :)

They are getting into new encoding technologies, it don't mean that they will jump ship soon and only use that. They have affiliates with the current receive equipment in place. Although in the future we may have to update our equipment to receive these. More boxes, more switches, more money laid out. Time to take that second and third mortgage on the home.

What would really be neat (in the future) would be for RTN to go HD, and showcase some of the old TV series remastered from their original prints in high definition. I've been aching to see the remasters of Star Trek in HD :D

What would really be neat (in the future) would be for RTN to go HD, and showcase some of the old TV series remastered from their original prints in high definition.

There is not a lot of the old TV in HD. RTN uses DVD's for some of their shows. I had posted some pictures here some time ago of the DVD menu being broadcast, but can not find them anymore. The poor special effects would only show up more in StarTrek in HD. Don't get me wrong, I too would like to see them in HD, but I do not think RTN is going to see them for some time, as the old tv shows that they play do not have much demand from the big broadcasters, (i.e. big money) and therfore they would not want to spend the money to create the transfers. It is good to have the variety of the old shows they play, and hopefully their stations will rotate some of the programing for some of the shows that are on C-band only now can be had on Ku band (for those of us that do not have a C-band dish) or local OTA.

Good points, Larry. Paramount recently remastered the original Star Trek TV series in HD, and pulled a George Lucas when doing so :) In other words, they upgraded the special effects shots with updated CGI versions. Not sure whether I like the idea of changing the original series to that extent, but they bundled both versions in HD on their ridiculously overpriced HD-DVD box set of season one...

star trek remastered is on WPXI feed and kkyk feed each weekend. Look for the first rtn hd feed soon on g26. we will stay in the clear even on g26
gary

actuall some of the shows are being redone from master film to hd. may not be 16:9 but will be hd. Cheers has already been redone as have a few others.
Gary

good info :)

now if RTN could sign a deal with a station here in Minneapolis it would even be better

actuall some of the shows are being redone from master film to hd. may not be 16:9 but will be hd. Cheers has already been redone as have a few others.
Gary

I'm glad that i'm wrong, as I'm sure many here will be waiting to catch the HD channels of RTN on G26.

Will the OTA of WNGS change over to HiDef or remain at 480i? Any chance of StarTrek showing up on WNGS?

Last edited:
dont know how accurate it is but from our friend wiki ;)

WNGS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WNGS can be seen on analog channel 67, and on the digital subchannel of WKBW-DT (channel 38.2), and can be viewed in the Buffalo market on Time Warner cable channel 11, and DirecTV channel 60. WNGS is expected to have their own digital signal in the future on channel 46, but has recently petitioned to change their digital signal to channel 7 after the analog "sunset" in 2009, proposing to use the WKBW-TV analog transmitter retrofitted for the new technology, which would keep the "heritage" VHF channel allocation active in the market. (The problem with this proposal is that it may cause interference in some areas of the Southern Tier with WBNG in Binghamton, who currently has the channel 7 DTV allocation. However, like WKBW, WBNG is owned by Granite, thus making a potential channel swap easier.)

Although licensed as a full-power station, it currently transmits its analog signal at low power with a directional northward pattern covering much of the Southtowns but not reaching the city proper. Radiated power in the direction of Buffalo is limited due to a treaty with Canada that protects the coverage area of CHCH's Midland channel 67 translator station. Thus, from the city of Buffalo northward, it is usually only available on cable or satellite, and in certain places in the Southern Tier, it is not available at all.

Gas, thanks for the information regarding Star Trek and the other remastered shows. Great news about G-26! Now I'm off to find a DVB-S2 device :D

Please keep up the great work at Equity with RTN!

Status
Please reply by conversation.